Author Topic: DAVY at Raddington Mill  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Erik Bloodaxe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DAVY at Raddington Mill
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 August 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hello from sunny Denmark!!

Fair point, but there is another link.

I Think Pollie's Grandfather was Thomas Davys 1806-1880.

He was farming at Washers Farm in 1861.

Make sense ?

Offline Sullivanseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 August 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
Denmark! Gosh, thought you were in Raddington... :o Well, definitely a connection there as a Thomas DAVY was on Washers Farm in 1861, but if you look at the 1861 census there is another Thomas DAVY , a miller, with wife Harriet. I am sure that is Pollie's parents. What do you think. I have only just started on this trail and find it very exciting as we are planning on a trip back to "the old country" next year and definitely want to visit the places researched. The DAVYS on the 1861 census must be related as they have family Christian names and all born in Raddington, which couldn't have been all that large back then.

Offline Erik Bloodaxe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 05:23 BST (UK) »
Its where I am working and living at the moment  ;)

Back in Somerset in October.

That is father and son living next door on the 1861 I believe.

Just one note, there was probably more people living in those villages back then than there is now.

Offline BagpussBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Emily Mustoe-Wheeler (Great Granny) 1885-1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 October 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Erik and everyone else!
I am researching my partner's family tree (and also made contact with Claire already!) He is related to Thomas and Jane Davys mentioned above through their son Thomas Davys and Harriet Heal and their son Edward Thomas Davys which is his great grandfather. We've been to Raddington and the church and it's lovely!
Glos: STEVENS, SHIPTON, MUSTOE, ALDER, MORSE, ROBBINS, SCOTT<br />Suffolk: FARROW, LAMBERT, RAMPLEN, LILLISTONE<br/>Somerset & Devon: Davys, Davey, Yeandle, Heal, Heywood, Williams, Palmer, Chilcott, Brewer, Bristow. Gold/Gould

Offline kiwichoccie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Discovering & reconnecting with cousins globally
    • View Profile
Re: DAVYS at Raddington Mill
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 June 19 07:46 BST (UK) »
HELLO COUSINS !!

How many of us are still contactable on here ? And have you contacted me before - please refresh my memory. I have been distracted by DNA and trying to connect some of those dots.

I have Pollie/Polly daughter of Thomas Davys and Harriet Heal as great great granddaughter of James Davys 1732-1802. James and his wife Mary Yeandle seem to be the couple most of us link back to. Sometimes the links are much more recent though.

And who was it that was in New Zealand as well ? I KNEW there would be other people not necessarily DAVYS' but connected to them, who had made the move.

Am I allowed to tell you my email address - or can we private message (it has been a while since I was on here obviously)

Are the Dowds still at the mill ? I wish now I had been a bit more organised last time I was over. We did manage to get a look inside Hurstone where my 2xGGParents lived with their children before emigrating. My 2xGGFather's brother and his family were at Kingston.

Claire
JAMES, THOMAS, KELSEY, HULETT, TIMMS, BODDINGTON, RICHARDS, LAWRENCE, FULLER, HORSKINS, VOSE, DANIELS, FIDLER, EASTMENT, DUPREE, DAVYS, BARRATT, COOPER, BARTLETT, WHITE, HAMMOND, LANEY, NORMAN, LONG, PALFREY, YEANDLE, HANCOCK, BECKER, HOGG, DENNISS, GILLETT, BOURNE, GREEN, CAMERON, McINTYRE, HALSEY, BESSELL, GIBSON, BROCK, HALL, MILLAR, PRITCHARD, BAILEY, NICHOLLS, DUFFILL , MILLARD, LANGFORD emigrated from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Germany to Australia, New Zealand, Canada and USA.

Offline Sullivanseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 June 19 21:57 BST (UK) »
 :) Hello from the New Zealand connection. You are connected to my husband, Anthony HILL (Tony). His great grandparents are Polly Davys (1868-1961) and John Hill (1854-1894). They had a son, William Hill (1889-1959) who married Kathleen Elizabeth Hoddinott (1890-1956) and their son, Richard Hill (1919-1968) married Eva Rose Hutchings (1920-2001), who in turn had my husband, Anthony Hill. Where on this tree are you connected Claire? All Tony's family still live in Devon. Have come across his DNA results on Ancestry? Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Linda

Offline kiwichoccie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 16 June 19 00:05 BST (UK) »
Kia ora Linda,

My family is that of James Davys (1825-1907) and his wife Sarah Norman who emigrated to New Zealand in 1862. James' brother Thomas remained in Raddington living at Kingston Farm which had been passed to him through their father and grandfather and great grandfather (all called James). Polly will have been a 3C to my James . They shared 2xgreatgrandparents James Davys (1732-1809) and Mary Yeandle - which is where we all seem to connect (although there are other families too which must connect to his siblings and cousins) James and Mary are my 5xgreatgrandparents. James was one of the sons of Thomas "Lord Davys" who owned the manor or Raddington and left it encumbered in debt for his sons.

I will double check my AncestryDNA results and see if I can find Tony. Although it might be getting quite diluted by this genetic distance. Whereabouts in New Zealand are you ?

Claire
JAMES, THOMAS, KELSEY, HULETT, TIMMS, BODDINGTON, RICHARDS, LAWRENCE, FULLER, HORSKINS, VOSE, DANIELS, FIDLER, EASTMENT, DUPREE, DAVYS, BARRATT, COOPER, BARTLETT, WHITE, HAMMOND, LANEY, NORMAN, LONG, PALFREY, YEANDLE, HANCOCK, BECKER, HOGG, DENNISS, GILLETT, BOURNE, GREEN, CAMERON, McINTYRE, HALSEY, BESSELL, GIBSON, BROCK, HALL, MILLAR, PRITCHARD, BAILEY, NICHOLLS, DUFFILL , MILLARD, LANGFORD emigrated from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Germany to Australia, New Zealand, Canada and USA.

Offline Sullivanseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 June 19 03:08 BST (UK) »
Hello again Claire... we now live in Whitianga. Where are you? Mary Yeandle and James Davys are my husband's 5x G Grandparents, same as you. Where did you find the information about Thomas "Lord Davys" owing the manor at Raddington? Another question Claire, who are the parents of your James Davys and Sarah Norman who emigrated to New Zealand. Fascinating history on Tony's side, not like my long list of miners, Ag workers and gardeners LOL Interestingly, my mother's maiden name was Norman... Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kindest regards, Linda

Offline kiwichoccie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 16 June 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
I'm in Brisbane now, my parents and brother are in Marlborough and cousins popping up everywhere.

My James' parents were James Davys and Ann(e) Palfrey. Sarah's parents were William Norman and Sarah Vickery - they were first cousins. One of Sarah's sisters married Thomas Davys (James' brother) and another married another Norman 2nd cousin and came to New Zealand.

James and Sarah lived in Thames and Tararu for time where they were sawmilling and goldmining. Two of their sons continued goldmining for a number of years in the Waihi & Coromandel areas. Almost in your backyard  :)

We heard first about Thomas from the English cousins researching with Dad in the 70s & 80s, but not sure where they found the information now. I have a copy of an indenture for the transfer of the property from Thomas' father to him at the time of his marriage and there are other references to the "manor" and the fact that he left it encumbered in debt. That might be what they had seen too, I will hunt out the references again.

I have a google map which I created for an assignment in my recent Diploma of Family History that documents some of the farms. I want to add to it - just need time ! I don't think I can paste the link here but  more than happy to email and share this and any other info with you or anyone else.

claire underscore becker at outlook dot com

Hear from you soon
Claire