Author Topic: Lookup info for (Irish) John McMullen in Ontario  (Read 2998 times)

Offline tomwdcraftr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup info for (Irish) John McMullen in Ontario
« on: Wednesday 12 January 11 18:29 GMT (UK) »
My GG Grandfather John McMullan/McMullen married Margaret Orr in Downpatrick, Ireland in 1845. They were in Quebec for the birth of my G Grandfather in 1847. Margaret and Son's Arthur and William John are on the 1851/52 census in Montreal with a Johnston family, but John McMullen is absent (Margaret does still show as married, though). In 1861 Margaret is married to a John Hinds & in Toronto, and her sons Arthur, William John, and another Son David are shown with last name Hinds. (Margaret later marries twice more, but I have all that info.)

I've been unable to find a death record for John McMullan/McMullen, so he may have left the family after David's birth which was about 1853 in Kingston. I know from Irish records I have that John was a shoemaker.

I found a John McMullan/McMullen a shoemaker (born Ireland about 1829) on the 1861 Ontario census. This John is in Loughborough, Frontenac County that period with a wife Elizabeth (born Ontario about 1832). They have a Daughter, Mary or Mary Jane?, who was apparently born in Portland, Frontenac County about 1858, but I've found no birth record for her.

On the 1871 census they are in Brampton, Peel County and wife shows as Eliza, but no children on the census. In 1881 they're still in Brampton, but wife shows as Martha (seems she may be Elizabeth Martha or Martha Elizabeth?), and no children. Then I do have the death record for John and he died in Brampton May 22, 1882, but death wasn't recorded until December 15, 1882.

Two helpers in the Brampton area have been helpful. One found a dissolution of a shoemaking partnership between John McMullen/McMullin and a Charles Murdock in December 1868. Another person found he is buried in the Brampton Cemetery in an unmarked pauper's grave.

I'm hoping to find clues that could tie him to our family if correct. My G Grandfather William John McMullen/McMillan lived and married in Fergus in 1867, was there on the 1871 census and probably in Fergus and Palmerston until about 1879. Brampton appears close to Fergus and Wellington County, so it seemed this John McMullen/McMullin might have been my GG Grandfather.

On the 1861, 1871, and 1881 census John and his wife show as Primitive Methodists. There is a series of books which published births, marriages, and deaths from The Christian Guardian newspaper (& I think another Christian newspaper), for different years in Canada. I do have one of these books for deaths from 1851 to 1860, which does not show a death for a John McMullen. It seems a number of libraries in Canada may have this series. Perhaps a marriage would show for John and Elizabeth (Martha Elizabeth or?). Also, perhaps it would show the birth of their Daughter?

I do have a copy of the original birth record for my G Grandfather William John McMullen/McMillan (note: spellings do show differently on different records). This record does have a signature for my GG Grandfather John McMullen, and it would be great if a signature could be found for the Brampton/Loughborough John McMullen to compare.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the Region of Peel Archives has been closed and won't open until later in 2011. Not sure if anyone would have access to that facility when it reopens? I just wonder if there might be other old newspaper articles about this John McMullen (spelling of last name has varied). He seems to have been in the Brampton area from at least 1868 to 1882.

I will note there were other John McMullen's in the Brampton area also. There was one who was older and was also married to an Elizabeth.

This seems to be a very tough one to find more information for. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!  Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA)