Author Topic: New Barricks - Limerick  (Read 5813 times)

Offline W_Higgins

• I am sorry but my email address has not been closed
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
New Barricks - Limerick
« on: Friday 15 April 05 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hello;
I have an ancestor who was stationed in Limerick in the early - mid 1860's with the 73rd Regiment of Foot.  His name was William Higgins.
Does anyone know where these barricks stood, or even if they are still there?
Thanks for your help.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Barricks - Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 April 05 20:05 BST (UK) »
The so-called New Barracks were built inside the walled castle in the 1790's. That entailed substantial alterations to the castle fabric.
I presume traces of that are still there but that would require local knowledge.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 05 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I did a Google search for The New Barracks, Limerick. I found the article below which comes from the Limerick Leader which states that the Sarsfield Barracks were The New Barracks. www.limerick-leader.ie/issues/20000101/s1920.html - The Sarsfield Barracks are still used by the Irish Defence Forces, Ogliagh na hEireann, today.

Hackstaple is correct in as much as there was a new section built at the Castle Barracks in 1790 http://indigo.ie/~blpeter/history.htm -

Offline seansptie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 18 00:12 GMT (UK) »
New Barracks was the original name of the barracks but it is now called Sarsfield Barracks after the Jacobite Leader Patrick Sarsfield. It is now home to the 12th Battalion of the Irish Defence Forces.
King Johns castle did contain a barracks and this was known as the Castle Barracks.