Author Topic: 1923 Armagh marriage lookup - can anyone help, please?  (Read 3614 times)

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
1923 Armagh marriage lookup - can anyone help, please?
« on: Thursday 13 January 11 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I am trying to find the marriage of Thomas George WRIGHT and Lillie Ann RUDDELL. I've been through the LDS in several different ways and so far have come up with nothng. I'm also drawing a 'blank' on Ancestry.  ???

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful. The details known are:

Thomas George WRIGHT b 1880 in Ballylisk, Armagh - Church of Ireland
Lillie Ann RUDDELL b 1901 in Ballintaggart, Armagh - Presbyterian
I expect that they would have married in the early 1920's, possibly in Portadown or somewhere else close by, but not sure which denomination, although I suppose Church of Ireland would be more likely as that was his religion. However, there is a chance that they may also have married 'out of county', so that would also be an option.  ;)

I believe they had a son, Harold George, in 1924, but I cannot find any record of his birth either.

Any help from the 'wise heads' on this list will be very much appreciated, as always.

Thank you,
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armagh marriage lookup - can anyone help, please?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 11 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi OzJen,

Whilst the following information does not answer your specific question it may help further with your timeline:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Is Harold George deceased, if so where did he pass away, do you have his death certificate, or do you have the death certificates for Thomas George or Lillie Ann ?

On 1901 Census:

Residents of house 24 in Ballylisk (Mullahead, Armagh)

Wright Henry, age 72, Head of Family, Farmer
Wright Annie age 54, Wife, Farmer's Wife
Wright Maggie age 28, Daughter, Drapery Sales Girl, Unemployed
Wright Minnie age 22, Daughter, Drapery Sales Girl, Unemployed
Wright Louisa age 20, Daughter, Farmers Daughter
Wright Thomas age19, Son, Farmers Son
Parker David age 40, Servant

On 1911 Census:

Residents of house 5 in Ballylisk (Mullahead, Armagh)

Wright Thomas George, age28, Head of Family, Farmer, Single
Wright Annie age 66, Mother

On 1901 Census:

Residents of house 37 in Ballintaggart (Aghory, Armagh)

Ruddell John, age 40, Head of Family, Farmer
Ruddell Elizabeth, age 38, Wife, Farmer
Ruddell, John Joseph, age 2, Son

On 1911 Census:

Residents of house 20 in Ballintaggart (Aghory, Armagh)

Ruddell John, age 52, Head of Family, Farmer
Ruddell Elizabeth, age 50, Wife, Farmer
Ruddell John Joseph, age 12, Son
Ruddell Lilly Anna, age 9, Daughter

Cheers,

Janet.

Apologies - have just noticed your other two posts with this information.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 11 09:57 GMT (UK) »
The earlier census information was found (multiple posts looking for the same family does cause duplication and confusion for those trying to help so best to link to other thread if it is necessary to start a new topic).

Earlier I posted this advice-
Have you done any Irish research yet? If not, take a look through Introduction to Irish Records.

Ancestry have few Irish records (they do not have any Irish vital records) so you will not find the marriage or the son's birth there.
Civil Registration Index (LDS) stops at 1921 for Northern Ireland counties- this is probably why you can't find the two events there either.
Marriages usually, although not always, take place in the bride's church. According to the 1911 census the Ruddells were Presbyterian-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Aghory/Ballintaggart/329568
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these suggestions.

I have read and copied the Introduction to Irish Records as per your advice, aghadowey, and have found them very useful so far.  I didn't realise that the marriage records stopped at 1921, so you're right about that one - no wonder I can't find it on the LDS! Also explains why Ancestry isn't very helpful in this case  :(

We do have the census documents for 1901 and 1911 which have been very enlightening and we've learned quite a bit about the family from them.

My apologies for causing any confusion with the two postings, aghadowey and others. :-[  I didn't intend to cause a problem - just trying to find an answer to a particular problem that I can't seem to solve. One posting was very specific; whereas the other posting was intended to be a more generalised one about the family.

OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).