Author Topic: McHardy Family  (Read 11984 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McHardy Family
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
Good.

Yes, I think it will be the Corriebreck I happened on. From Gaelic 'coire', usually anglicised as 'corrie' and 'breac', meaning spotted or speckled, pronounced 'breck', which can be anglicised in many different ways.

Before the first edition of the Ordnance Survey six-inch-to-the-mile map in the 1850s, it's usually a matter of either hoping the place you want is on one of the earlier, mainly military maps, and most small crofts are not. In which case you need to see if you can track down any estate maps. We were lucky this time :)

Thanks again.  :)

Offline marlomorrisgreco

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 May 18 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am currently researching my McHardy side a we will be visiting Scotland soon. There are so many! My family lived in Monifieth. My great grandfather, who came over to the USA in 1909 was William McHardy, according to his SS application his parents were William McHardy, and Annie Durword or Dorward, depending on who is spelling it. I have been told ancestors had a farm in Luib as well as being related to Charles Forbes mcHardy, Minister of Corgarff. However I am not sure as dates are very close to others. My great grandfather had many siblings as no one else left. Minnie, Ann, George, and more. Hoping to find out more. Some relatives lived at 89 Brook Street in Monifieth. Thanks.

Marlo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 May 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Marlo, if you want to find out more, you should plan a day or two in the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh before you go to Monifieth or anywhere else. Don't go anywhere expecting to find all the records locally, because the main ones are held centrally in Edinburgh, and it is much more expensive and more difficult and time-consuming to find them out in the country.

See https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

It would also be a good idea to exchange notes with the other people on this thread who are researching McHardys and Dorwards.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 July 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Just to add that The Luib still exists - I pass it most weeks on my way to Tomintoul - where I also have McHardy's.  Tricky name as it has so many variant spellings.  I have an Alexander McHardy (born about 1770) married to an Isabella McHardy living in Lagganvoulin, Tomintoul in early 1880's.  They were married 27th December 1815 Tomintoul.  Alexander was a sergeant in the Black Watch previously and had served (was injured) in Battle of Alexandria in 1801.   He has a great gravestone in Tomintoul.  They seem to have originated in Strathdon, but I have never found births.  Her parents were George McHardy and Elisabeth Stephen (who had several other children registered but not Isabella) I think she was born around 1772 and possibly in Auldachie (Strathdon) as that's where her siblings seem to have been born).  She died 30th October 1867 at age 85 but she is not buried with Alexander or their descendants.  Would she have been taken back to Strathdon to be buried with her family?
Alexander died before her in 1834, but again I can find no birth details for him so I can't trace his parents.  Just putting this in the mix incase the McHardy trail travels north from Luib through Corgarff, over the Lecht to Tomintoul (only a few miles)

Offline jobarnesmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 July 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
I have an Andrew Bisset McHardy born Strathdon in 1864 married into my THOMSON's. They married in Leochel Cushnie  Aberdeenshire in 1883,  just in case this is relevant.

Annie Lennox also has Aberdeenshire McHardy's in her tree.

:) Jobarnesmum
The following are the main names we are searching but there are others which are no less important, but too numerous to mention
THOMSON - ABERDEENSHIRE /BANFF  UK/  USA /AUSTRALIA/CANADA AND NZ
ESSON, E(L)MSLIE, RIDDELL
STRONACH ABERDEENSHIRE/BANFF UK/USA/ CANADA/NZ
CLARK - FIFE & ANGUS
STEWART - STIRLINGSHIRE
LIDDLE - STIRLINGSHIRE/LANARKSHIRE
TULLOCH STIRLINGSHIRE/LANARKSHIRE
NEAVE - FORAR, MONTROSE
BOWMAN -FORFAR, (ORIGINALLY DUNFERMLINE)
CRAIK - FORFAR/ANGUS
WINTER - ANGUS

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 14 October 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

Does anybody please know where "Castletown" was in relation to the parish of Strathdon please?

I am presuming it was right near to Corgarff Castle, but I can't be sure. It is from this baptism transcription of McHardy's of Strathdon:

"1742 -William McHardie in Castletown had a child baptized called John
[Also entered in OPR 240/1].":
http://www.oocities.org/mchardyofordachoy/Sources/downloadfiles/OPR240transcriptions.pdf

Also, am I right in presuming that Lower Corriehoul would be somewhere right near to Clashmore, around the area of Corgarff?
It is from this baptism transcription from the same pdf as above:

" 1755 - June 18th - John son of William McHardy in L.Corryhaul."
http://www.oocities.org/mchardyofordachoy/Sources/downloadfiles/OPR240transcriptions.pdf

I can't seem to find them on this map:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.053333333333335&lat=57.1600&lon=-3.1893&layers=5&b=1

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 October 19 18:53 BST (UK) »
Castletown is/was approx 1/2 mile north of Corgarff Castle, and the Corriehouls are/were East of Corgarff Castle.

Malky

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 October 19 19:28 BST (UK) »
Castletown is/was approx 1/2 mile north of Corgarff Castle, and the Corriehouls are/were East of Corgarff Castle.

Malky

Thank you very much,

Having looked through some of the transcriptions "L. Corriehoul" might mean "Little Corriehaul", not "Lower Corriehoul" as I originally thought.

A few years ago there was a great website about the genealogies of some of the McHardy's around the Corgarff/ Strathdon area. It told the story and origins going far back. But I don't think that site is available anymore.
I think it was made by either Andrew/Alexander McHardy.

Much obliged.  :) ;)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 October 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
It was Andrew McHardy's site that is no longer  :-\

A number of Strathdon and other MIs, primarily with McHardy connections can be found on Andrew McHardy's Corgarff website
https://sites.google.com/site/strathdonvitals/sources

Is this of any value to you?

https://sites.google.com/site/strathdonvitals/system/app/pages/search?scope=search-site&q=mchardy

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk