Author Topic: Naming children tradition Scotland  (Read 10153 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Naming children tradition Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 January 11 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Well I don't think families marrying like that is so very unusual really  i.e. brothers marrying sisters or whatever combination you like to make - we have several examples in our family of the same thing.   Might be something to do with not actually moving very far from home if they were rural families, and not having a huge range of people to choose from!  The next generation cold be in trouble though couldn't they!!   ;)  Too many cousins hanging around!  ::)

One of mine is rather good - one son of family A married the daughter of family B - then when she died, he married the second daughter of B  - meantime, daughter of A had married son of B  - and yes - it gets tricky working them all out!!  Your head is allowed to hurt!!!  :D

Happy days!

Wiggy    :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 January 11 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hillockhead  ???  But . . . .  There're no long letters in the middle of the word, and there seems to be a dotted 'i' towards the end.   Could be just the writing!!

However from 18,000kms it is difficult to tell!!!!    ;)   ;D ;D   You are much closer Isobel with more knowledge of the local area.   ;)
Wiggy   :)
I think we may be looking at different words! Knockside at the end of entry no.1 and Hillockhead at the end of entry no.2.
Isabel
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 January 11 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Isobel - you are quite correct - I hadn't even gone down to the second entry!!  thought one of us was going bananas - but we are both sane!!!   ;D ;D

Wiggy    :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 January 11 13:47 GMT (UK) »
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2175901

Sorry, but this won't be the right Hillockhead. There are umpteen Hillockheads in different parishes all over Scotland.

If a place name is mentioned in a parish register it is customary to state which parish it is in, especially if it is far enough away not to be immediately familiar to the locals. The Hillockhead in that image is a very long way away from Aberlour in 1815 terms - not far short of 70 miles by road, and that includes crossing the Kessock Bridge, which wasn't there in those days.

There was a Hillockhead in the parish of Rothes, just across the river from Aberlour. It is named on the Victorian six-inch Ordnance Survey map, which you can access in the online map collection at www.nls.uk or at www.old-maps.co.uk.  It is still shown as a ruin, but unnamed, on the current Ordnance Survey Explorer maps at grid reference NJ280468. I have a long-standing promise to go and photograph it for Geograph on behalf of someone whose ancestors lived there.

There are photographs of at least 10 other Hillockheads on the Geograph web site, and of course there is always the possibility that there was yet another Hillockhead in the parish of Aberlour itself of which all trace has long since vanished.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 January 11 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hillockhead is right at the bottom of this map

http://maps.nls.uk/os/view/?sid=74490617

Again, wrong Hillockhead. See my other post.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 January 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't know Scottish Geography well so might be leading you astray but I see Aberlour is in Moray and there is a 'Ruthven' ??  in Highlands which isn't toooo far away from Aberlour.   

It's not Ruthven (there are several Ruthvens in Scotland, by the way) but Ruthrie. Ruthrie is about a mile or so south-west of the village of (Charlestown of) Aberlour at National Grid reference NJ263415, just beside Glenallachie Distillery. The Linn of Ruthrie is the waterfall on the Burn of Aberlour - see http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6921

Of course Charlestown of Aberlour, which was founded in 1812, didn't exist either when that baptism took place.

Offline kirkness

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKerron
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 August 12 07:18 BST (UK) »
Knockside farm is in Aberlour and were the McKerrons lived . My Grandfather James McKerron was born there his parents were David wight MCKERRON and Jessie TOLMIE

Offline McKerron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McKerron
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
My name is Robert Craig McKerron from Ontario Canada.  I can trace my family tree to a James McKerron born 1804 Knockside Farm Banff who married an Ann Cumming b 1810 in Charleston, Banff.

I have been and stayed at Knockside Farm.  I am trying to trace the ownership of Knockside Farm.  The earliest record I have for the McKerrons is in 1791 when Ann Mckerron was born at Knockside to James McErron & Margaret Clark.  The McKerrons lived at Knockside continuously until the death of one James McKerron 12 MAR 1952.  The Farm afterward went derelict But was later rebuilt.

Before the McKerrons the Garrow family was associated with Knockside.  The first record I have found for the Garrows at Knockside was in 1734 when Robert Garrow was born to William Garrow & Elspet Donaldson.

I am attempting to document all of the residents of Knockside and when it was built and by who.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
James MacKerron is still registered as the tenant of Knockside Farm in 1855 VR's

Owner is James William Grant

It is recorded as part of the Estate of Allachy

James MacKerron is tenant in 1865 and it is registered as Estate of Carron

James MacKerron tenant in 1875

Peter MacKerron is tenant in 1885