Author Topic: Edward CHAPPELL 1792-1861  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Edward CHAPPELL 1792-1861
« on: Friday 14 January 11 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Edward CHAPPELL was baptised at Hothfield, Kent on 2 Sep 1792, son of Elizabeth CHAPPELL. He was in the Royal Navy and on the HMS Rosamund about 1817 along the coast of Canada. Married Elizabeth WOOD, and had one daughter Elizabeth about 1825.

Edward died 21 Jan 1861 a widower, and a Rear-Admiral according to his death notice. His daughter Elizabeth married Charles John PROBY in 1853.

Have found him in 1841 and 1851.

Has anyone come across this family anywhere. Particularly interested in his mother Elizabeth.

Thanks

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward CHAPPELL 1792-1861
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 11 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

I don't know whether you have seen the entry for CHAPPELL in O'Byrne's Biography of Naval Officers then living in 1849? If not well worth a read.

I have extracted the following for you:

Married 5th October 1819, Elizabeth Wood, only child of Commander Wm. Wood(a) RN, by whom, who died 14 Jan 1842, he has living one daughter.

The (a) in the text usually denotes that there was more than one man with that name on the Navy List, and is used as a way of identifying which is being referred too.

From the same source I have found that Commander Wood (born 21 Feb.1770) married a Miss Sarah Browning, 17 March 1801.

Regards Martin

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 11 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Martin

I was trying to find out more about Elizabeth CHAPPELL as well. Such as birthplace, etc.

Edward CHAPPELL was illegitimate, and it is alleged the father was Edward Daniel CLARKE, who was tutoring a Henry TUFTON at Hothfiled in 1790-91. TUFTON was a nephew of the then Duke of Dorset.

Trying to find out if Elizabeth was in the same household, or was she a local girl.

Ian C

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism in Hothfield for Elizabeth CHAPPEL May 9th 1762, parents Robert & Elizabeth.

and this marriage

Robert  CHAPPEL to Elizabeth GYLES at Hothfield 19 December  1758
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosnorfolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
If anyone out there is still interested in EDC and Edward Chappell, I have information recently tripped over.
Ros

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 September 17 01:53 BST (UK) »
Ros

Yes I am still around and would be interested in anything you may have on EDC or Edward Chappell.

Ian C

Offline rosnorfolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
I was researching my 3x ggrandfather John Bowen at Taunton Heritage Centre in the UK and came across a jotter book of his which is catalogued as DD\CLE/2/11, the scrapbook of one midshipman Edward Donald Chappell.  Well, it's clearly mostly John Bowen's writing but there are 2 intriguing pages which I'd like to share with you - I just tried to attach them to a post and lost the entire thing.......  I can see that you are an expert on this site which I find impenetrable, so if you can find a way for me to send them, let me know!
Ros

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
Ros

If you send me a Personal Message by clicking on the little page symbol by the little head profile on the left below the number of posts you have made, I will send you my email address.

You can't add attachments to messages in the general forum area.

Ian C