Author Topic: RC church The Assumption Gowran  (Read 13664 times)

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RC church The Assumption Gowran
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 August 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Matthews from Gowran - my question would concern the Gleespens.

My great grandparents sailed to NZ in the 1870s from Lower Kilmacow but just a few years before that they were married in Maudlin Street, St Johns before moving to Gowran for the first few years of their marriage. John O'Hanlon (b.1831) was from Maudlin Street and Liza (Elizabeth) (b.1839) was from Gowran.
Elizabeth's parents according to her death certificate were Michael Gleespen (b.1810) and Mary Murphy. Michael's fathr was Michael snr. (b.1790?) As per the Griffith Evaluation.

I was in Gowran in May simply to have a look around the village. A moving experience in a very beautiful setting.

Any information you can share on the family would be most welcome - the Gleespens/O'Hanlons only take me back a few generations, sadly.

Thanks for your posting

James

Offline matthews from gowr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hey there was a heap of you mothers people
Living in the village, they were trades people and
Artisans, don't know where they all net I will
Ask my father he may remember something about
Them , have you looked at the 1901 and 1911 census
For gowran good lot of info there if you ever back
In village let me know.wonder if some of your stonecutter
Uncles stonework is aroun, was a stonecutter my self so I must explore

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hello again
Thanks for the contact and the ref to the Census - if you come up with any more information I would be very pleased and, if in your travels, you come across some examples of my uncles stonework that would be great. Even better if we could tie any of their handywork to the parish church.
I couldn't locate any of their graves as I wandered around the churchyard - beautifully kept.

Thanks again
James
Queensland.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
well it seems as that is the only spelling of that surname in Ireland at that time. it seems as they were a mostly elderly family and they died out, the younger men in the family were stonemasons, which as a form of building was dying out as concrete was becoming the building material of the future and they may have left Ireland for work.

consider the possibility the family may have been imported from UK as estate workers so you might find out more there, they lived a couple of doors up from my grandmother who died about 15 years ago at the age of 96, they may have even known each other, i will search for the headstone in gowran and let you know. i would search records in america for younger members of family. or the British army records as they have might of joined up as a lot of my great uncles did to fight in world war one they could be buried in Flanders etc, good hunting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 20:32 BST (UK) »
well how are you going on. news for you I found your family headstone in the graveyard it is very well preserved, did not have my camerea with me but they are definitly your people, i spoke to my  father he remembers the two sisters they were dress makers, he remembers his father speaking about the family,

my father reckons the  name was corrupted to glesson localy

so any more info give me a shout, am delighted to have been of value to you in your search.

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hello

You have posed a very interesting thought about the Gleespens eventual dying out in Gowran.
I know some Gleesons from Gowran came to Australia many years ago - probably they were related in some way. They became farmers and innkeepers. I will take your advise and look further abroad - many thanks for your help and advise.

I have come across the two maiden sisters. Can you tell me their old address, please? It might be interesting to get a location from the Surveyors map of the Griffith Evaluation for my records.
Would you say all the Gleespens in Gowran were related?

Is there any chance of receiving a scanned digital photogrpah of the grave?  Obviously I missed it in my walk around the extensive churchyard.

I attended mass in the parish church when I called at the village. Several children were receiving their first communion and the church was packed and full of atmosphere. Wonderful to think the ancestors received their rites of passage according to the church in this place and I thrilled to receive the sacrament where they did. I enjoyed a couple of pints in Loughlin which I imagine existed when they lived in Gowran - I asked the landlord if that might have been the case but he did not know how old the pub was!

Thanks again .......... you (and your father)  have been most helpful.
Regards
James
Queensland.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 March 14 22:41 GMT (UK) »
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=KK&regno=12310024

Better late than never!   Link for RC church Gowran, currently in use  :)  Click "Additional Images" to get internal views.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 February 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
http://www.from-ireland.net/baptism-records-clara-gowran-kilkenny-1809/

Some Baptism records Clara Gowran Parish.  Glispen included.   
Dates are suspect as surnames are in alphabetical order and also in chronological order ;)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 November 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »