Author Topic: Brummit's Ropery Lincoln  (Read 16092 times)

Online Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Brummit's Ropery Lincoln
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Were it not for an experience I had myself over 30 years ago I woiuld incline to the view that many of these manifestations are solely to boost the tourist trade in Lincoln. Mine involved an incident at work, and was fully detailed on this site some 18 months or more ago.Thanks for links all.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline robert4good

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 22 January 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan & hoppout.

William Wheatley was my Gt Gt Uncle, being the number 2 brother to my Gt Grandfather Joseph Larke Wheatley. William left his small family and his job as a blacksmith and emigrated to New York from Liverpool on S S Egypt in 1873. He worked as a Vet in San Francisco, married Anna M Fleischmann on 6 Feb 1882 and died there on 16 October 1883 being buried there 2 days later. Any further information on possible divorce from Mary Ann and what became of John Robert Henry would be very welcome.

Robert

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 22 January 11 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert, welcome to RootsChat :)

So now we have (at least) three William WHEATLEYs!

Robert's - died 1883 in USA - son of William and Laura (assuming that is definite)
hoppout's - died 1897 in Lincoln
Alan's - still alive (in York) in 1901 - son of Henry and Margaret

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 January 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert  :)

When I first started delving into my Wheatley ancestors in 2007 my wife & I paid a visit to Canwick Road cemetery to see if we could find the last resting place of any of my family. We came across a Memorial to William Ernest Wheatley son of William & Mary Ann Wheatley also on the memorial was a dedication to their son William Wheatley M.R.C.V.S.L who died in San Francisco on October 16 1883 age 35 years.

Thinking it may have been part of my family I took the opportunity of taking a photo, which I attach. Needless to say further research soon showed it not to be my ancestors.

At times this subject of Brummitts Ropery gets very strange or as Alice said 'Curiouser & Curiouser'  :o

Alan

Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 January 11 15:43 GMT (UK) »
So now we have (at least) three William WHEATLEYs!

Geoff in 1881 there were at least 5 William Wheatleys living in Lincoln one of them mine. Wheatley was a fairly commen name in the City but if the other Wheatley families where like mine it doesn't surprise me.

My Grandmother, Maud Wheatley, born at 6 Union Road in 1885, was 1 of 18.  ::)

Alan
Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hoppout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 22 January 11 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Alan, Thank for for the cemetery photo, which I will print out. I have William Ernest on my Ancestral list.

Geoff, The ancestor who died in 1897 was William Roberts, the father-in-law of William Wheatley.

Robert, Your information that William Wheatley's emigration to America was real news to me. Quite a jump from blacksmith to vet. He must have trained hard for both, but had little time to practice that hard work as a vet.  I have a daughter over the pond, in Oregon, and she had to re-train as a nurse.

Thank you all

hoppout

Offline robert4good

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 22 January 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Alan and hoppout.

Thank you for your messages and Alan in particular the photo. Still waiting for something on Mary Ann and John Robert Henry !

Best wishes

Robert

Offline hoppout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 January 11 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Robert,

Regrets, but lost sight of Mary Ann and John Robert Henry Wheatley after the 1871 census, also Harriet who disappeared from William Roberts' life; perhaps they all went off to America and their new life didn't work out for their marriage. My gt grandfather William Roberts took up with Mary Clayton, but they never married, though they ran the Strugglers Inn for 15 years together, and Mary Clayton went on to be the sole publican of the Fox and Hounds on Steep Hill (now Browns restaurant). Wm Roberts died in the workhouse. I was curious about the Clayton name because it was the surnme of my mother, who died aged 27 in 1936 when I was a baby. I was evacuated to Skegness from Grimsby because of this and spent 17 years with foster parents. Obviously, would like to know more. My paternal ancestry is less complicated as I have gone back 11 generations to 1687. A family website on tribalpages has more than 1800 names and is run from America.

Offline robert4good

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 24 January 11 14:12 GMT (UK) »
hoppout

Thanks for the brilliant tip re tribalpages. An immediate hit for Mary Ann, not in the USA but ... Australia. I'm still pedalling. Perhaps I'll find John Robert Henry Wheatley there too.

Very best wishes

Robert