Author Topic: Kent gypsy  (Read 58945 times)

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kent gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
On the gypsygib website they have a 1911 transcription for edward 50 and phyllis bignell 52, with son, dau in law and gr dau, at habitation rd belvedere, kent, which i believe was part of the belvedere marsh settlement.
cheers, shane
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire
Pennell, thanet, Faversham

Offline johnneddy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 17:15 BST (UK) »
my granny & granfather was bignells ...george & genty there lived in corkes pit st mary cray ..there had 10 children...8 boys & 2 girls...the old woman(genty)also lived on belvedere marshes ....her name before she got married was lee

Offline Kuri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 May 11 00:19 BST (UK) »
HI,

I have an Emma Bignell on my family tree. She married a Joseph James in 1896 in Chalk Church in Kent. Her parents were Edward and Phillis Bignell.

I also had a Gt Aunt who lived in Corkes pit, her name was Alvina (Doll) Pettigrove (nee James)  I visited there often as a child, and was really struck by the beautiful white bedspread on her bed!
Cheers Kuri. ;D
Breeds  Cakebread Coshall  Dunmall Ellis Eastwood Evenden James Kent  and Sears all in the Kent Area. Also Freestone and James in Cambridgeshire.

Offline jademb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gentilla Lee, George Bignell and children
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all the tips really helpful. I haven't been on here in ages, wasn't ignoring you all.

my granny & granfather was bignells ...george & genty there lived in corkes pit st mary cray ..there had 10 children...8 boys & 2 girls...the old woman(genty)also lived on belvedere marshes ....her name before she got married was lee

Thanks i wasn't aware she lived at the marshes. They were my great great grandparents. Their son George married Florence and had my granddad James. I think they all still lived at corkes pit till they had my dad. Heard a rumor there were more than the 8 children i knew about. I heard there were 13?
Looking for: BIGNELL, BOSWELL, BRAZIL, EASTWOOD, LEE, PAYNE
In: KENT, LONDON, SUSSEX

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 October 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
hi you may have found who you are looking for by now,I have some lee's living with my Romany ancestors in the Kent and sussex area's I also now of some Emmets "various spellings" who changed their name to lee.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline jademb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gentilla Lee, George Bignell and children
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
hi you may have found who you are looking for by now,I have some lee's living with my Romany ancestors in the Kent and sussex area's I also now of some Emmets "various spellings" who changed their name to lee.

No I'm still looking, Jenty seems to be almost untraceable. Found a certificate that puts her in Darford marrying George Bignell in 1916 (5 years after their son was supposedly born) so any info would be a huge help!

Thanks
J
Looking for: BIGNELL, BOSWELL, BRAZIL, EASTWOOD, LEE, PAYNE
In: KENT, LONDON, SUSSEX

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 November 11 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the actual details from the marriage certificate for "Jenty" LEE and George BIGNELL?  If so, who are the marriage witnesses - could they be relatives?  Is there a father listed for "Jenty"?  Any address?  Age?  Who was the son bc1911?

Do you know when and where Jenty died/was buried to try and establish a birth date that way?

Any of this would be helpful in trying to help you.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Just checked through my old history stuff and found a Edward Bignell Basketmaker age 43 with his wife Emily 42, Son Sid!16. Son,George 13. and a daughter Eneligh! age 5 living at Crayford Marshes on the 1901 Census living in caravan's along side my ancestors the Jones and Lee famillies if it is any help.Census return a bit scribbly most born at Northfleet in Kent.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »

Hi,
I have had a look on the ancestry site and there are quite a few trees with Jenty in although her name is spelt Gentilia. The photo that johnneddy has is according to what is on the ancestry site a photo of George Bignall and Gentilia and family taken in either 1924 or 1932 at Lamberhurst Kent.

Jenty was apparently born in 1889 and passed away in either 1978/79 and George was apparently born in 1888 and passed away in 1962.
There is also a photo of Jenty/Gentilia with three other people on the site.

I have also found a census for 1901 which may or may not be Jenty/Gentilia

Name:Gentilia Lee
Event:Census
Event Date:31 Mar 1901
Relationship to Head of Household:Daughter
Birthplace:Plumstead, Kent
Record Type:Household
Registration District:Woolwich
Sub-district:Plumstead East
Ecclesiastical Parish:St Michael & All Angels
Civil Parish:Plumstead
County:London, Middlesex

Nearly forgot some of the trees have Jenty's parents as Charles Lee and Eliza Boswell.
Regards
Lyne
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands