Author Topic: Kent gypsy  (Read 58670 times)

Offline jademb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gentilla Lee, George Bignell and children
    • View Profile
Kent gypsy
« on: Friday 14 January 11 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Finding it very difficult to track my gypsy side of the family as they didn't have too many documents. Would really appreciate it if anyone knew of any websites that are more specifically for gypsy genealogy, even more so if they have any information about them in Kent.
Looking for: BIGNELL, BOSWELL, BRAZIL, EASTWOOD, LEE, PAYNE
In: KENT, LONDON, SUSSEX

Offline jademb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gentilla Lee, George Bignell and children
    • View Profile
Kent gypsy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 11 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find out about my family history. Would really appreciate it if anyone knew of any websites that are more specifically for Kent gypsy genealogy.
Mainly looking for the name BIGNELL at the moment.
Looking for: BIGNELL, BOSWELL, BRAZIL, EASTWOOD, LEE, PAYNE
In: KENT, LONDON, SUSSEX

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller Family
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 11 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jade and welcome to rootschat.
Just noticed your two posts :)
Sorry,can't help with this specific question,have only a few gypsies and little experience of them ,but there is a "travelling people" board on the forum with lists of useful sites regarding gypsy and travelling people as well as experts on the subject more than willing to help you.
Regarding your request for Bignells in Kent,it would help if you could give what information you do have.Might be better to re-post your question on the Travelling People board.Just go to Forum at the top of the page and scroll down to Travelling People.
Best of luck
Barbara

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kent gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 11 09:40 GMT (UK) »
hi, jade, try the romanygenes site it has lots for the south of england, and kent. there are lots of other cotact site on it, there is also a council run web site for kent area, but i cannot think of it now. just type in romany conacts kent, and see what you get? good luck ..rob.g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Russybuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller Family
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 January 11 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 I know what you mean I have been trying for ages to get information but it's just so vague

Offline smiler007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 11 10:04 GMT (UK) »
try KENT HISTORY FORUM go into THE WAY WE WERE scroll down to GYPSY CAMP ASH TREE LANE and add your post

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 January 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
This site is really useful for tracing Kent gypsies/travellers

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gypsy/gypsy.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 January 11 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest posting details of the people you are looking for here on Rootschat .............. we all love to try and help!  Just no mention of any living persons in order to protect their privacy etc..

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dromengro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Finding it very difficult to track my gypsy side of the family as they didn't have too many documents. Would really appreciate it if anyone knew of any websites that are more specifically for gypsy genealogy, even more so if they have any information about them in Kent.