Author Topic: Fitch-Albert Edward  (Read 5350 times)

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fitch-Albert Edward
« on: Sunday 16 January 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Any info or relatives of my Gt Uncle, known as Bert. Son of James Fitch & Martha Mills, born 1879 Bethnal Green, Middx, England-youngest of 4 children, who were orphaned 1883 & fostered in Hertford Heath, Herts. Joined Navy & emigrated to British Colombia early 1900s. Married Elizabeth (Liz) Miller in British Col. 1912. Died there 1956. Can anyone help please ??

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fitch-Albert Edward
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 January 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi YJC

On the pilot family search site, I see the following death registrations in BC:

Albert Edward Fittch, b London, England 1879, d Saanich/Victoria, BC in 1956
Elizabeth Fitch nee Miller, b Berton-on-Trent in 1888, d Duncan, BC in 1964
Lucy Elizabeth Steven, d/o of Albert Edward Fitch and Elizabeth Miller, b. Burton-on-Trent in 1917, d Duncan, BC in 1977

On the same site, the marriage registration shows that Albert Edward Fitch married Elizabeth Miller in Victoria, BC in 1912.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=allCollections&r=0

I can look up the marriage and death registrations and give you a transcription of the documents if you are interested.  It may be a couple of weeks before I get it completed as I've got a fairly lengthy list of look ups right now.

Just looking at the dates, I'm wondering if they married in Canada and returned to the UK where Lucy was born and then returned to Canada or if the informant supplied incorrect information on place of birth for Lucy on the death registration.

I have to go out shortly but can check for passenger lists, CEF attestation papers, etc. when I return.  I'll check back later to see if anyone else has been able to find information.

Susan

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 January 11 02:16 GMT (UK) »
On the Olympic arriving 6 June 1918 from Liverpool to Halifax are
Lizzie Fitch, 29 b. Eng and children Cyril Robert 5 1/2 b. Canada and Lucy Elizabeth 9 mos.  All bound for Victoria.

Birth Dec 1917 burton 6b 547 Lucy E. Fitch (Miller mother's maiden name)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bc9/
Obituary for Eileen Lloyd (Fitch) would be of interest

Debbie

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 January 11 07:30 GMT (UK) »
I can find a listing for Albert E. Fitch on the 1913 Greater Victoria City Directory but not on the 1914 or 1915. 
http://www.vpl.ca/bccd/index.php

I wonder when they returned to the UK.  For the life of me, I can't find them on a UK Incoming Passenger list nor can I find passenger lists for Albert's or Elizabeth's initial emigration to Canada.  I can find Elizabeth on the 1891 England Census but not after that.

Susan

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 January 11 08:27 GMT (UK) »
On the Megantic arriving December 13, 1929 from Montreal to Liverpool
Elizabeth Fitch, 41, housewife, destined to 4 Beam Hill, Horninglow, Burton/Trent.

On the Andania arriving April 25, 1930 from Liverpool to Montreal
Elizabeth Fitch, 40, b Burton on Trent, England, had been in Canada 1912-1929, destination Mr. A.E. Fitch, Deerholme, Vancouver Island, BC, nearest relative in the UK is mother Mrs. J. Miller, 4 Beam Hill, Burton on Trent, England.

Susan

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 10:02 GMT (UK) »
On the Olympic arriving 6 June 1918 from Liverpool to Halifax are
Lizzie Fitch, 29 b. Eng and children Cyril Robert 5 1/2 b. Canada and Lucy Elizabeth 9 mos.  All bound for Victoria.
Birth Dec 1917 burton 6b 547 Lucy E. Fitch (Miller mother's maiden name)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bc9/
Obituary for Eileen Lloyd (Fitch) would be of interest
Debbie
Hi Debbie-this is all new to me & I'm not sure if this is the correct way of replying to your helpful message - I do hope so !!!!  (perhaps you would be kind enough to let me know)
I had found info on daug Lucy, b1917 Burton-on-Trent & died 1977 Duncan, BC, but son Cyril is news to me + I'm not sure how or if Eileen Lloyd(Fitch) fits into the family ????
Thanks for your help.
Bye for now - Yvonne

My internet is now playing up - you may receive this more than once !!!!

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan-many thanks for all the info. As you know I am new to this site & am still trying to get my head round how it works so I hope I'm replying correctly !! Am I right in thinking that this site is  free to use & I will not incur any charges for any research done on my behalf ??
The info you have provided re birth/marr+death for Albert (Bert), Elizabeth (Lizzie) & Lucy all ties up with my research.
I have found possible details of Albert sailing to Canada as a 3rd class Naval rating in 1902, name spelt as Fittich, gives age as 27, he would only have been 23 but could have lied ???, it states all the ratings were 'to join HMS...looks like Egtonia' but not sure as difficult to decipher the name of the ship. He appears again arriving on board 'Lake Manitoba' 24/02/1908, sailing from Liverpool to New Brunswick , surname still spelt as Fittich. Finally I have him sailing from Liverpool 3/6/1918 on SS Scandinavian, arriving New York 15/6/1918 destined for Victoria, B.C., he is now described as a labourer. The latter sailing is def him as he gives his next of kin as his sister, my Gran, her name & address are 100% correct. I wonder if his return to the UK was anything to do with WW1 ?  You will probably have seen a reply I received from 'cosmac' giving details of Elizabeth & 2 children sailing from Liverpool to Halifax 6/6/1918 which would tie in, she also mentions a 2nd child  Cyril Robert who I have never heard of.
Bye for now & thankyou for all your help.
Yvonne

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Eileen Lloyd (nee Fitch) is possibly another child of Albert.  Her obituary refers to a brother Cyril and the fact that she was predeceased by a sister Lou Steven (possibly Lucy Elizabeth).  Too bad this obituary never referred to her parents.

Debbie

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yvonne

Rootschat is a most wonderful site which is free to join and free to use.  You will find some amazing volunteer researchers and meet people from all over the world who share a common interest (or addiciton!!) in family history.

I live in British Columbia and am a member of my local genealogy society.  We have a wonderful little library with access to all the vital events currently available in the province so I volunteer my services on Rootschat to do look-ups.  I also watch the postings on the Canada boards and if I think I can help in some meaningful way I will post the information I can locate.  I have learned of so many useful resources and have picked up some very valuable research skills by watching others.

I should be at my library in the next few days so will look up your marriage and death registrations and then will post to let you know that they are ready to send to you via email.

In the meantime, I think you're very fortunate to have the obituary that Debbie found as it gives insight into other possible family members.  Canada has very strict privacy laws so records from recent years are not accessible...if we can find newspaper announcements or obituaries it's a big bonus. 

Susan