Author Topic: Family name any suggestions please - Menel  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Family name any suggestions please - Menel
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 05:36 GMT (UK) »

MENEL

Of the main variants,  Meynell comes up quite often.  Originally a very old Derbyshire family;  subsequently more scattered.  Hugo was and is a favourite forename -- an HM was a famous 18th c. MFH,  effectively founder of the Quorn (see Wikipedia).

Marginally more relevant,  in the Names From Clwyd database (link provided by JL in Reply 7),  there are a couple of sub-variants at Wrexham grouped under the Meynell head-name,  as follows:

MEYNELL ...
     MANNEL ... Wrexham: 10 Jun 1836 bapt George s Thomas (mason) & Charlotte, Broughton   
     MAYNELS ... Wrexham: John

A John Meynell comes up in the (free-to-view) 1881 census at Dymeirchion,  Flints.  Birthplace catches the eye:  Stretford, Lancs. (ca. 1845).

Scraping the barrel a bit with this one,  like the rest of you . . . ;)

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline still-searching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family name any suggestions please - Menel
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Back again  :)

Have had no useful results looking through newspapers re the Menel name. I guess I will have to park that again for a while.

Thanks again for the PR postings, I have all the female births, no living males on census records.

Re Evan's parents I guess that Thomas & Margaret will be right but I'll add them with the caveat that it's a 'best guess'.

Thanks again for everyones' help.
Jones, Knight, Bateman, Lightfoot, Ostler, Childs