Author Topic: Why did John change his surname?  (Read 20141 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Why did John change his surname?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 January 11 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I was meaning the death record in 1891

What are the names on it?

William Storry's death record in 1891 gives his parents as John Storry and Janet Murray, and the informant was his brother Alexander Storry. No mentions of any Stewarts.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 January 11 18:37 GMT (UK) »
In the interim I have had a look at SP and still cannot find the family in 1851. However in 1861 they are all (except Mary who died young) living, as I expected, at Gavieside in West Calder, surname Storry.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 January 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,if the first William dies in 1891 but by 1906 he has acquired another son named William,is it possible he and Janet parted and he either re-married or moved in with someone else and simply took the name of his new partner.Just going by the fact he died in Fife and Janet in Glasgow.Just an idea and probably wrong ;D

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 January 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,if the first William dies in 1891 but by 1906 he has acquired another son named William,is it possible he and Janet parted and he either re-married or moved in with someone else and simply took the name of his new partner.Just going by the fact he died in Fife and Janet in Glasgow.Just an idea and probably wrong ;D

Could be. However the death certificate does say 'Married to Janet Murray'.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 January 11 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

I think we have 2 marriages here, in the 1881 census, I think this is John Storry with a new wife also called Janet and he has  started a new family. There is a submitted record on IGI gives John Storry marriage to Janet Wyper 1873 at Whitburn. If original Janet Murray married a Stewart maybe her Storry children added Stewart to their surnames.

Dwelling:   Hillhead Cottage    Census Place:   Whitburn, Linlithgow, Scotland

John STORRY   M   53    M   Whitburn    Head    Occ:   Retired Farmer
Janet STORRY   M   32    F   Whitburn  Wife
Jessie STORRY       9    F   Whitburn    Daur
Kate STORRY       7    F   Whitburn    Daur
John STORRY       6    M   Whitburn    Son
Glaud STORRY       4    M   West Calder Son
William STORRY   2    M   West Calder Son
Alexr. STORRY       6 m   M   Whitburn    Son
Margt. THOMSON   27    F   Whitburn   General Servant

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 January 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I think we have 2 marriages here, in the 1881 census, I think this is John Storry with a new wife also called Janet and he has  started a new family.

No, sorry, reasonable suggestion but it won't wash. The John Storry who married Janet Wyper in 1873 died in 1933, and I have seen his marriage and death certificates. He was in fact the son of John Storry (aka John Storry Stewart) and Janet Murray. I think the '53' in the 1881 census transcription is an error for 33. (Just to complicate things, his brother William Storry, the one who died in 1891, married Christina Wyper, sister of Janet Wyper)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 January 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

It's a good little problem, you've got.

I found another 2 x John Storry's on SP Wills, both from Whitburn, 1 in 1878 +1 in 1891, maybe relatives of yours, who died in 1906.

There is no mention of Stewart in your family tree then, because names were changed outwith the law and changed back when it suited them. I have similar in my tree, I can see that they did it, but not why. I suppose that is the problem with genealogy we may see it black and white but not always the reason.
I wish you good luck with your chase.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Online flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I've found John in the 1851 census;
Holehouse Lum, Whitburn, West Lothian
John Storry 27, Farmer of 60 acres
Janet 24,
John 4,
William 7,
Janet 2 months.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Was the William Stewart who reported the death an illegitimate son?