Author Topic: Widdington parish register look up request  (Read 4718 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Widdington parish register look up request
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 April 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
Matthew Holgate's Will (proven in 1839), as well as mentioning his sister Hannah Livermore, also mentions his brother James Holgate and Ann Holgate widow of his late brother John.

I think they are probably the children of a John Holgate, and possibly his wife Sarah (assuming he hadn't remarried), because SEAX has a Will of a John Holgate proven in 1813 which mentions his wife Sarah, son John, son Matthew, daughter Mary Cook and refers to other unnamed children (unless I've missed them specifically mentioned).  Matthew is the eldest son.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
Blimey ... They did waffle on in their wills compared to today!
There's a grand daughter, Elizabeth cook, of the daughter Mary, mentioned as well. I couldn't see any other names.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 April 15 08:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I didn't manage to find any other Holgates on the Essex will beneficiary index and was trying to find out how to get a copy of the will. I'll have to investigate the SEAX site.

That gives me several names to work with. I have notes of other Holgates from Widdington and Debden, this information should help me connect some of them.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 April 15 08:15 BST (UK) »
http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/

They do varying length subscriptions for parish registers and Wills and they are all digital scans of the original records.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Greg p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 March 17 05:20 GMT (UK) »
I was born in widdington in 1963 and went to school with a Kerry Holgate from Debden in the 70's and as far as i know he is still there.....maybe a connection there????

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 March 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
A discussion board elsewhere also states John Holgate and Sarah Harvey were the parents, they married Widdington on 20.07.1772

Mark
Olleys in Essex