Author Topic: Glasgow Cotton Spinners trial of Hunter, Hacket, McNeil, Gibb & McLean 1838  (Read 4373 times)

Offline arasandkered

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glasgow Cotton Spinners trial of Hunter, Hacket, McNeil, Gibb & McLean 1838
« on: Wednesday 19 January 11 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Does or is anybody know or researching the above names in relation to these 5 men being brought to trial before the High Court in Edinburgh in 1838 or the Glasgow Cotton Spinners Co-operative.

They were convicted on one charge and sentenced to 7 years transportation.  An Appeal did go to the House of Commons, and I think they had their sentences reduced.

What I would really like to know is, were they actually transported to Botany Bay, Australia.

I can't for the life of me find anything in google books that they were transported and Ancestry has details of a Thomas Hunter but the details don't seem quite right.

And if they were transported to Australia and had their sentences reduced then would they return to Scotland? to their families, could they afford it?  Thanks  Sarah
Argyll - From Mull to Oban - McTavish/McGilvray/McFadyen/Carmichael/McKenzie/McIntyre/McKinnon/McDougall/McLean
Kilfinan - McLachlan & Ferguson
Angus -  Baird, Hird, Findlay & Reid
Midlothian - Marquis & Johnston
Glasgow - Hunter/Buchanan/Kennedy

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow Cotton Spinners trial of Hunter, Hacket, McNeil, Gibb & McLean 1838
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 23:18 GMT (UK) »
When in 1838?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 23:53 GMT (UK) »
There is also some information regarding the initial charges (which included murder) at the NAS which refers to the start of trial proceedings with precognitions in 1837

William McLean, cotton spinner, Address: King Street, Glasgow
James Gibb, cotton spinner, Address: Craig's Court, Canning Street, Calton, Glasgow
Peter Hacket, cotton spinner, Address: Dykes' Land, George Street, Mile End, Calton, Glasgow
Richard McNeil, cotton spinner, Address: Spring Place, Hutchesontown, Glasgow
Thomas Hunter, cotton spinner, Address: Cogan's Land, Main Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow

Link to :- National Archives Scoland - online database

A further link to a 2nd set of charges in 1838 can be found at the NAS
Precognition against John Walker, Hugh McMillan, Daniel Currie, Samuel McBryde, John McCaffer, James Gibb, William McLean, Patrick Mellon, Thomas Hunter, Peter Hacket, Richard McNeil, Thomas Riddle, Richard McManus, Thomas McCaffle for the crime of discharging loaded firearms with intent to murder; illegal combination

Link to :- 2nd trial information

Offline arasandkered

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sancti and Falkyrn, much appreciate it.  Have been on it for 2 days and was starting to tear my hair out.

Also found something on Radical Glasgow, apparently they spent 3 years in prison at Hulks at Woolwich on the Thames and were then pardoned.

Sarah
Argyll - From Mull to Oban - McTavish/McGilvray/McFadyen/Carmichael/McKenzie/McIntyre/McKinnon/McDougall/McLean
Kilfinan - McLachlan & Ferguson
Angus -  Baird, Hird, Findlay & Reid
Midlothian - Marquis & Johnston
Glasgow - Hunter/Buchanan/Kennedy

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 January 11 00:02 GMT (UK) »
The book Circuit Journeys by Lord Cockburn is mentioned in the NAS links as having information about the trial ..... this book can be read online at http://openlibrary.org/books/OL7202958M/Circuit_journeys.

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 April 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
I am the 4x great grand daughter of the star witness Robert Christie.  I'm curious where he ended up after the trial.  His eldest son Dr. John Christie ended up in Cape Breton in the middle of no where.  I researched the articles during the time of the trial and it was reported in every major city in Ireland, Scotland, and Britain.  It's no wonder John came here to Canada to the middle of no where.  His reputation as the son of what seemed a paid squealer wouldn't have helped him in his endeavours.  :(

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 April 18 04:08 BST (UK) »
Several newspapers describe Robert as "a former cotton spinner, now the keeper of a whisky house, Hospital Street"

Scottish Post Office Directories
1836/37
Robert Christie, spirit dealer, 12 Hospital Street.

However, this appears to be the last entry I can find for Robert in the Glasgow Directories.