Author Topic: Great Hamilton Street, Calton c. 1921  (Read 7277 times)

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Great Hamilton Street, Calton c. 1921
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 January 11 20:46 GMT (UK) »
yeah but its not that different when you visit you can still see plenty of older builds that make you realise what a vibarant place glasgow was back then and the difficulties that our grandparents and parents had to endure for us to spend so much time looking back in time we have to realise there future is us and what we can give back to our children in the future hopefully will be a better world and  more freedom of data to share thanx to world wide web cheers c p u.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 January 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I'll second that  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 January 11 22:54 GMT (UK) »
apart from the fore mentioned that exists today but there is one tenement between green st and tabago st still standing which is being encompassed by a new office block as we write and also the templeton factory still survives as a modern multi purpose  building with its original features still intact.

My Granny Mullen lived on the corner of the Gallogate, in the 40s and 50s I travelled from Airdrie Terminus by Tramcar and got off in Duke Street and walked down the hill. She lived on the 3rd floor and I used to windae hing looking down on the Templeton Carpet Factory you mention. Loved those times.

James.

Offline Hmaxwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 November 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I had family live at 130 great Hamilton street.  It was in 1881.  I would love to have any photos or information about their place if you have any.

Thanking you

Helen

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 November 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
hi monica,
                dont know if this is any help if you go to https://britainfromabove.org.uk/  its a site for ariel photos lots for glasgow area,
 you can zoom in most taken around 1920  you have to register member to use the zoom in its safe site and free to use perhaps some of the members who have replied can help you for the area you are looking at im not to sure of the east end glasgow there is a few photos around glasgow green area  code is spwo22061 to 068 i think its around this are you are looking for or you can just key in glasgow but lots photos come up the ones around glasgow green taken 1928

cheers
                                                                      harrywrag

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, harrywrag  :) Been away a little while and just seen your post. Hadn't come across this site before so will register and have a look around there.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk