Author Topic: Can't find his death anywhere??  (Read 2433 times)

Online worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Can't find his death anywhere??
« on: Saturday 16 April 05 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I have a gravestone inscription which says:

In loving memory of our beloved son
Andrew Baptie Coldwell
Motor Engineer
Died 25 February 1950
Aged 32 years.

I have his parents names but for the life of me i can't find his death registration on the scotlands people website even though there statutory deaths go up later than 1950. I have checked the GRO in England but he didn't die there either. Any idea on where he could be. His gravestone is in the cemetery in Galashiels Scotland.
Dawn

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find his death anywhere??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 05 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

Have you tried to vary the spelling on the Scotland's people search.?  Perhaps Caldwell ?

Otherwise he may have been killed in the Korean conflict?
Or perhaps his death is too early for that, although I would try Korean conflict casualty lists just in case as this does seem rather odd that you can't find the certificate. I think that these were mandatory.

I suppose that you tried Andrew Baptie , just in case.
Also, double check the Birth Cert for spelling. Seems more likely to have been registered under slightly different spelling as Scotland's People search engine is very finicky in this regard.

Cheers
Sandie
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye