Author Topic: Hibbets & Daisleys from Gamlingay area  (Read 24626 times)

Offline RobinIrvine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hibbets & Daisleys from Gamlingay area
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 January 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Your right, hard to track this chap down. There is a family story that William was away in the army, but I've never managed to tie that in either as it was limited details.

R daisley with be Ronald & P Daisley will be Percy, at least I now know they were both alive in 1948.

I didn't know harrys exact marriage date, so thanks for that one.

I'll have a google for gamlingay grave inscriptions, for William R Daisley, it might turn up other names, fingers crossed.

Very interesting that the middle name Richard only turns up with Harry. I've done a couple of searches and do not think Ronald married, so only his birth will give us clues with regards his father.

Thank you again
Robin
Smith, Daisley, Irvine & Mathie

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 January 11 11:53 GMT (UK) »
hi,,there is a record on Findmypast of this man

Name:William DAISLEY
Year of birth:1871
Place of birth:Gamlingay, Potton, Cambridgeshire
Regiment:Bedfordshire Regiment

he served from 1889 to 1902

his father is named as a James
younger brother is Harry
elder brother Walter

is this your William?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 January 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
looking at his service

he was
home 1889-1890
Malta  1890-1890
India  1890-1897
home 1897

then recalled for service in South Africa 1899-1902

so these dates fit with what you know of your William?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 January 11 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Good stuff gortonboy!   

Expect Robin will be delighted with that, certainly his man I would think.

Well done.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinIrvine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 January 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
gortonboy,

This is fantastic....... The dates tie so well that it must be the correct William Daisley.

I use ancestry.co.uk and did not find the above for William.  Was the info txt based or image of documents ??? r we allowed to exchange this type of stuff ? not sure of the rules yet.... sorry

This backs up the family story of william being away and also confirms that he is most probably not the father of the girls........ Further more it also might explain why Rhoda was in and out of the union house at this time and Also why he is not on the 1901 census meaning he returned home in 1902 to a bit of a surprise !!!!

This post has made my day..... cheers

Just need to sort out the middle name Richard, which would confirm if Selina's death record  is our man

Robin
 :)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 January 11 18:32 GMT (UK) »
you said you ordered some birth certs,,,,,is this one you have already looked at?

William DAISELEY Mar qtr 1871 Caxton 3b 491

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 January 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
if you get the service record you will see he was awarded a medal for the refief of Chitral 1895.....you can read about this here,,,start at page 526 and read the nexdt 4/5 pages  ;D

http://www.archive.org/stream/frontieroverseas01indi#page/526/mode/2up

Offline RobinIrvine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 January 11 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The below cert details  fits with your find,

william daiseley born 29th January 1871 in gamlingay, father william daiseley, mother mary daiseley nee meed.

So it looks like the next link is meed not daisley!

Thanks again
Robin

******* Added
my school boy error, your above army detail proves that william father was a James. meaning the only cert I have with a father as James is the earlier cert I noted where william is noted as Frederick William which can't be correct, as I expect that people would use the correct name when enlisting...... So the birth is still a mystery. Maybe he's not local to cambs ? Your info does however prove the siblings of William, which my tree.

regards
Robin

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 24 January 11 23:15 GMT (UK) »
On military record on 19 February 1889 William's age is stated as 18 years 5 months and, as stated above by gortonboy, had brothers Walter and Harry and father James.

1871 Census taken 2 April 1871 William son of James and Mary and younger brother of Walter is stated as 10 months.

1881 Census William is with James and Mary and brothers Walter and Henry Arthur.

You will like this next bit!!

Baptism at Gamlingay on 13 December 1880 William Daisley son of James and Mary of Gamlingay Sinks otp
born 3 June 1870
baptised same day as Arthur Henry Daisley born 4 May 1777

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk