Author Topic: ROWBERRY One Name Study (Link)  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
ROWBERRY One Name Study (Link)
« on: Saturday 16 April 05 17:20 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PollyR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROWBERRY One Name Study (Link)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Only just discovered this post!  I am the person doing the ROWBERRY One-Name Study.

Although it is called the ROWBERRY One-Name Study it also includes many variants, such as my own name RUBERY. In fact these are the two most frequent variants found today, closely followed by ROWBURY and RUBERRY. Others still extant include REWBURY, ROBERY (growing), ROEBURY, ROVERY, ROWBERY, ROWBORY, ROWBREE(dying out), ROWBREY, ROWBURREY, RUBBERY, RUBBRA, RUBRA, RUBREY and RUBURY.  And in the USA RHUBERRY.

In the past many other variants have been noted, but as far as I am aware they are not still in use. In most cases it is impossible to say that present day variants are only linked to others using the same spelling as, due to inconsistencies in recording, changes were still occurring up to the beginning of the twentieth century. So if you are possessed of, or have an interest in, any of the above surnames I hope that you will find something of interest on my website:

www.rowberry.org

And you are always welcome to contact me with queries - you will find a contact link on each page of my website.
Kind regards
Polly Rubery