Author Topic: Two Christopher Todd's 1754 & 1757?  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Two Christopher Todd's 1754 & 1757?
« on: Sunday 23 January 11 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with a question on who is who with two Christopher Todd's born three years apart that lived in the same area of Durham (Byers Green) and apparently in same house.
Christopher Todd b1754 married Sarah Willey
Christopher Todd b1757 married Eleanor Hart
I am trying to find who were parents of who?
What is the best way to sort this?
Thanks
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Two Christopher Todd's 1754 & 1757?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 January 11 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The IGI gives the one christened 13th April 1754  father William and the other 15th May 1757 father Robert.

How do you know which one married who and that they both lived in the same house?

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 January 11 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, Well not completely sure who married who either but Christenings for children at Auckland St Andrews has them variously at Byers Green and or Farm Nutty Hagg Byers Green. Other question is were Robert and William brothers, it is easy to assume but a bit harder to have real proof. The Christenings don't give a lot of detail.
We are presuming that both Robert and William were the Children of Anthony Todd but also don't have fact on who was mother. There is a marriage in 1709 of a marriage of an Anthony Todd to Isabel Dent in Durham Cathedral. But there are an awful lot of them too. We think our Anthony was born in 1780/81 ???

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 January 11 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how to find the father of the above Robert Todd who was the father of Christopher Todd 1757.
As far as I can see on what we have he is not a son of Anthony as was William??
Also can the Bishops records or transcripts still be accessed?

Neil

Offline Welbat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Did the answer to Robert Todd ( a g g g g grandfather of mine) and his antecedents ever get found ?

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello long lost relative. The answer at this stage is no. I have managed to track my lot back, Christopher 1754, but gave up on the Christopher 1857. My Understanding is they were cousins fathers being brothers, but still unable to get final proof.

The records are a bit murky as they seem to have used a couple of churches around this time one being Witworth Parish along with Auckland St Andews.

Cheers
Neil Todd
Australia.

Offline Welbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 17 07:39 GMT (UK) »
I think we are Todd cousins not sure how many times removed!
My research relies on a French cousins husband who has amassed a lot of detail down to Robert but not beyond.
I have got a copy of the Durham University Todd tree which does not have any usefully corresponding Christian names. I am intending to go up there just to get an understanding of the area which seems to have a lot of pockets of Todds. I assume it is like a clan and the difficulty is linking the various offshoots, with a paucity of detail and multiplicity of similar names!. I met by chance a Todd whose family had farmed at Staindrop for many hundreds of years and had a large tree which I will now try and get hold of as there is a tantalising ref to Staindrop which  is also referred to in relation to Robert, I think.Have you found any references to this place which is close to Byers Green.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I have not come across anything to tie my lot to Staindrop, but have heard it mentioned in varying BDM's. You have the wood on me as everything I look at is via Google earth to get the lay of the land in which they had their abodes. The main tie is the area around Newfield, Byers Green Whitworth and Bishop Auckland. As all the records pertain to BDM,s it can be deceiving, they may have traveled far and wide for business which seemed to have centered around the Limestone Mines.

I have also come across several members on here that are tied to your lot, Ref: Christopher Todd b1757.

I don't do much on here anymore and seem to have reached a dead end in my searches for more information. Early records that I have transcribed from the Latin or that have already been done by the University make many mentions of Todd's but further records to back up and tie in are extremely difficult.

Neil

Offline Welbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 February 17 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Dear Neil
Thanks for the response. I am getting an idea of the problem! I fear we were not grand enough to leave much of a record for future generations. I will continue with what research I can do but still work so time is limited. I am hopeful of finding something, and if I do would be happy to let you know. There may well be researchers out there who do not broadcast or communicate their information. I am very much at the beginning of my research with a lot to learn but will keep going
Kind regards