Author Topic: Edward Frank Churchill - St. Catharines Ontario  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Edward Frank Churchill - St. Catharines Ontario
« on: Sunday 23 January 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Can somebody help with my research on Edward Frank Churchill, please.

He was born Crewkerne Somerset 1898. Married in 1924 to Catherine Rose nee Freestone who was born in the Yeovil area c. 1905.  

Edward entered Canada c. 1924 with his widowed mother Ellen Charlotte nee Harp. He died St. Catharines in 1975.

There is a possible return to England from Montreal for Catherine with a child Harry aged 2 arriving 28 May 1928 on route to Yeovil.

Anything will do including deaths/burials of the 3 people concerned; immigration of Catharine Rose; return trips; etc

Cheers

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Frank Churchill - St. Catharines Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 January 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi

This looks promising

Aboard the "Albertic" arriving Southampton 28th May 1928 from Montreal and Quebec.

Boarding in Quebec
CHURCHILL Catherine 62 Park Street Yeovil Somerset Housewife aged 23
CHURCHILL Harry 62 Park Street Yeovil Somerset aged 2

Return journey shows..

Aboard the "Albertic" arriving in Quebec 1st Sept 1928

Boarding in Southampton
CHURCHILL Catherine Wife aged 23 Born Yeovil Somerset UK Left Canada 18th May 1928 visiting Mother Rose FREESTONE 62 Park St Yeovil Somerset.  Going to husband E. CHURCHILL 200 Welland Avenue St Catherines Ontario.
CHURCHILL Ivan? son aged 3 born St Catherines Canada  ( details as above )

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 January 11 23:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a Form 30 (which was used instead of passenger lists in Canada from 1919-1924) for Ellen Charlotte Churchill who arrived in Quebec on the Minnedosa. She departed from the UK on 20 Jun 1924. The Form 30 says she was 53, a widow and born in Crewkerne (Som). The card says she was destined to Quebec - address not known but then it has written beside that going to Mrs. Kent Griffiths, Silk Mills, St. Catharines, Ontario.

There are also cards from the same voyage for Catherine Rose Churchill, 19, born Yeovil (Som) and Edwin Frank Churchill, 22, born Crewkerne (Som). The rest of the information is the same as Ellen's.

In the Incoming UK passenger list database there is an entry for Ellen Charlotte Churchill departing from Montreal on the Montrose and arriving in Southampton on 20 Jun 1929. She was going to Crewkerne. She returned to Canada on the Montroyal which departed from Southampton and arrived in Montreal on 14 Sep 1929.

She also returned to Crewkerne in 1935. She departed from Quebec on the Empress of Britain and arrived in Southampton on 5 Jul 1935. She returned on the Empress of Britain departing Southampton and arriving in Quebec on 13 Sep 1935.

On both the 1929 and 1935 passenger list she was travelling alone and gave the address of 11 College Street, St. Catharines as her home. On the 1935 passenger list she indicates it's the home of her employer.

There's another incoming UK passenger list entry for Catherine Churchill, 49. She departed from New York on the Ryndam and arrived in Southampton on the 4 Jun 1954. Travelling with her was Dorothy Churchill, 52. They were both going to the same address in Yeovil.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 January 11 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you. Great result.

Jacquie can you say what address in Yeovil  the two ladies were visiting in 1954. I don't know who Dorothy was - maybe a sister although I can't find a birth registration of a Dorothy Freestone in UK c.1902. Is there a surname for Dorothy? Nor do I understand why they should be sailing out of New York. Perhaps it was an emergency.

Anyway thanks once again for your help. It's certainly reinforced my research.

Hopefully somebody might come up with dates of death  for the three people concerned.

Cheers

Benzol

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 January 11 04:23 GMT (UK) »
I edited my other post to include Dorothy's surname - sorry about not including it before.

It was Dorothy Churchill with Catherine Churchill and they were both going to 42 Westfield Grove, Yeovil although on the outgoing UK passenger list it indicated that Dorothy had stayed at 33 The Avenue, Yeovil.

I did a couple of searches and it looks like Dorothy was the wife of Edward's brother. There is a passenger list for the Montnairn which departed from Belfast and arrived in Montreal on 25 Apr 1926 that has Charles Albert Paine Churchill, 29, born Crewberne, England who was going to join his brother, Mr. E.F. Churchill in St. Catharines, Ontario. Travelling with Charles were Dorothy Eliza Churchill, 24, born Teoril, England and their children John Armstrong Churchill, 4, born Armagh, N. Ireland and James Bruce Churchill, 2, born Clogher, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland. I think Teoril is likely supposed to be Yeovil but the person who typed out the passenger list couldn't read the writing or made a typo.

It looks like Charles and Dorothy married in Ireland. I found a marriage in the Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958 database at the LDS Search beta site for a Charles A.P. Churchill who married in Monaghan in Apr-June 1921. Unfortunately they don't give the name of the spouse in the entry but using that information I found a marriage for Dorothy Eliza Beare also in Monaghan in Apr-June 1921. Strangely both have another entry with the date Jul-Sep 1921 as well.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 January 11 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jacquie,

This is far more than I expected. I knew nothing of the brother and I doubt that I would have found him without your considerable assistance.

Looked up Dorothy Eliza Beare. She was born Yeovil RD area Sept 1901 so you have the correct bride thanks.

Benzol

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 January 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

Me again. You mentioned that when Dorothy Churchill left England c. 1954 there was on outward ship's passenger list. As I said earlier I was surprised about the original departure from New York . Does the outward passenger list report Dorothy's final destination? And did Catherine travel with her? Are the families still in Canada or have they moved on to the U.S. of A!

Edwin Frank and Charles Albert Prince Churchill had a sister Ida Constance Tipple Churchill born 1895. I have her marrying in 1914 in the UK. I was wondering if she and her husband Albert H Martin joined the rest of the Churchill clan in St. Catharines. Any chance of another Look-up, please?

Thanks once again for everything you've found out on my behalf.

Benzol

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 00:30 GMT (UK) »
The outward passenger lists don't list a specific destination other than both were going to be residing in Canada. Dorothy and Catherine were definitely travelling together because they had the same ticket number.

It wasn't unusual for Canadians or Americans to cross the border to travel in those days. It may be that the ship sailing from New York had the best scheduled departure date for them. And for people in St. Catharines it's closer to go to New York than to Quebec City, Halifax or St. John.

I found a possible for Ida but her's husband's name is wrong. There is a passenger list for the Olympic which departed from Southampton and arrived in New York on 28 Jul 1920. There is Ida Martin (25, born Yeovil), Violet Martin (4, born Yeovil) and Frederick Martin (5, born Yeovil) on board. Their last permanent residence was Somerset and Ida's closest relative in the UK was "mother - 134 Sherbourne Road, Somerset, England". She was listed as going to Richmond, Virginia to join "husband - 3014 Beaverley Street, Richmond, Virginia" - the name Robert is handwritten above the address.

Jacquie

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Morning Jacquie,

You're a genius. Spot on again. Even though Ida was born Crewkerne as far as I know and the husband was Albert Martin. Your intuition was on the button.

Edward C F Martin was born Sept Qtr 1914 Beaminster  (Somerset) RD to a mother surname Churchill. Violet NI was born Dec Qtr 1915 Yeovil RD mother surname Churchill.

The Canada destination for the two ladies is good enough for me.

Thanks for your patience and the help you've provided.

Cheers

Benzol