Author Topic: The Carlyon Family  (Read 9164 times)

Offline 1mythmkr

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
The Carlyon Family
« on: Sunday 06 June 04 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,
This has been the hardest chat to get logged on I have ever been through.
Every password is different that I recreive and I have been trying to send a message to Wendy for many days.

We just returned from Cornwall, where we researched the Carlyons of St. Keverne, Helston, and the farm at Trelease Mills.  I would be more than happy to share any and all information that I have on the Carlyons and the ones that left Trelease for the USA.

Best Regards,

Connie in Kansas

Offline Delwynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:The Carlyon Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 June 04 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Connie,   This my first attempt ever at "chat" so hope I get it right.
I have recently started researching the Carlyon family - St.Keverne area in particular.   My father was Edward George Carlyon, borne Betley, Vic. Aus. 10th Feb 1911 married my mother Helen McGuire (1 brother Peter Edward Carlyon).  My grandfather Edward James Carlyon, borne Bowenvale, Vic. Aus. 1887(?) married Emily Augustine.  Gr. grandfather Edward James Carlyon, John Carlyon borne 18th February 1832, St. Keverne, married Caroline Dunstan. - I believe John and Caroline emigrated to Australia on board the ship "David Malcom" 1854 or 1855.   Gr.Gr.grandfather William Carlyon borne? married Jane Williams.     That is where I run our of information.   Can you help - I my little information might help someone else, and you.  
Bye for now,   Delwynn (b.1938)   :)
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.

Offline 1mythmkr

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 June 04 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi back to you,

This is the first time (other than the wonderful Pearl Montrose), that I have had someone to compare notes with.  And this web site has been exceptional hard for me to log onto for some odd reason.
Ok, here goes:  the gr grandfather that came to the USA from St. Keverne was William Edgar Carlyon  b. 21 Nov. 1842 St. Keverne, UKand his wife Elizabeth Jane Williams Richards b. 25 Dec. 1843 (43-45) Helston, Cornwall, UK.  
Parents of william Carlyon:  John Carlyon b. Feb 1794 St. Martins d.  (I just got this information in Cornwall an now I can't find it but I will eventually)
wife- Rosa Oates b. 22 Nov. 1801  married 13 July 1827 st. martins in Menage.

He was a farmer of 65 acres Trelease Mill (farm).  They had 8 children that I know of.  Elizabeth b. 20 July 1828
               Edward    b. 15 nov. 1829
               Eleanor    b. 6 June 1832
               John         b. 29 May 1834-35
               rosa Jane b. 28 June 1836
               Sampson  b. 23 Sept 1838
               William      b. 21 Nov. 1842
               Caroline    b. 31 (21) Dec. 1843

His father was John Carlyon of St. Martin b. 8 Jan 1751
                                                                 d. 15 April 1844 age 93
He is buried in the graveyard at St. Keverne Anglican Church
Married to Elizabeth Pengilly 15 Nov. 1778 (the Philmore parish Register)
                 b. 21 Jan 1753 St. Keverne
                 d. 1 July 1825 Trelease buried St. Keverne.

I do not have the names of their children except for their son John.
I do have photos in my computer of their farm/home, St. Martin's Church, St. Keverne's Church and some of the grave stones.

Do we have lift-off?  There were several Carlyon families living in the parish of St. Keverne with several of the same repeated names in each family.  Our John carlyon was only a farmer in cognito.  He was actually a smuggler of Rum along with the Vicar of St. Keverne (and lots of other godds).

If we are the same family, I have the names back to approx. 1540-40.

Connie V. USA

Offline Delwynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 June 04 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hello again,  thanks for your prompt reply which is of interest.   I will do further research and will let you know if I come up with any links.   I have a feeling there could be, having read of John Carlyon and Elizabeth (Pengilly).   I will keep at it.     There are so many similar names, a lot of sorting out to do. ???
Thanks again,     Delwynn

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 June 04 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Connie,

Here I am. Your trip sounds great so would love to hear anything of interest. Perhaps an email would be good. Welcome to Delwynn and I'm sure we can help you with your Carlyon research. I have come across a few Carlyon researchers and yes Connie I agree, Pearl is great. Will send you an email Delwynn.

Regards,

Wendy

Offline Delwynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 04 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Connie,   I am making progress but have little to report as yet on the information you have kindly sent me.   I did come up with a web page for an Ian Foster who has listed Wiliam Carlyon's marriage to Francis Olivey 12th November 1805.   William's parents were John Carlyon and Elizabeth Pengilly.   William and Francis' children are listed. If per chance you do not have this information I will send it through to you on this column as I don't know your email address.  
I feel there must be some connection between this line from John Carlyon and Elizabeth P. why else would he have another page of Carlyons who are my ancestors - I have emailed him this evening to find out - had trouble with his email address though so it may not have been received.   I will keep trying and keep you informed.
Bye,   Delwynn, Barooga (country town), NSW, Australia.