Author Topic: Cochrane family from Manchester, England 1900  (Read 15747 times)

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cochrane family from Manchester, England 1900
« on: Tuesday 18 January 11 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I'm after assistance with tracing my relations that left Liverpool for New York on 31st March 1900. They travelled on the Etruria ship but I cant seem to locate from my searches what date they arrived in New York.
The family names are John Thomas Cochrane b1868 (listed as Thomas on the ships list leaving Liverpool) and his sons Harry Cochrane b1889 and Ernest Cochrane 1892
I know from there that John Thomas Cochrane married Myra Belle Graichen on 4th June 1903 in Providence, Rhode Island and Myra died around 1910
I notice from this link - http://backintimephotos.com/about.html
that although the year of his birth is slightly out by 3 years it would be a massive coincidence that it is not my relation Harry Cochrane.
Is anyone able to assist with what did become of John Thomas Cochrane, Harry Cochrane and Ernest Cochrane with any marriages, children, when they died, where there buried etc etc?
I would be most grateful for any links to free searches or details.
Thanks
Phil
Rayson - Bedworth pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Mills - Ireland pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Baxendale - Wigan pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Tallis - Bedworth pre and post 1850
England - Manchester pre and post 1850
Townsend - Halifax pre and post 1850

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cochrane family from Manchester, England 1900
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 14:12 GMT (UK) »
You can find many free records here -
https://www.familysearch.org/s/collection/list#page=1&region=NORTH_AMERICA 
- including some federal census records, Rhode Island state census records, some RI vital records, etc.

Myra appears to be on this index:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bda/

www.ellisisland.org has free passenger lists to New York.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Myra's burial:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bdj/
You may be able to find other family members on the site.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I found passport applications for your Ernest from 1916 & 1918.  Apparently, he was working on ships as a purser between Halifax and Jamaica.  They both have pictures of him included.  It says he was born 3 Mar. 1892 in Manchester, England and refers to father John Thomas Cochrane living in Providence, Rhode Island.  They also say he arrived in the US on the Etruria sailing from Liverpool on 12 Mar. 1898.  If you want me to send the copies to you, send me your e-mail address via private message.

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lisa and Shelley - much appreciated  :) :)
I've managed to track via one of the links you sent Shelley in your previous email that John Thomas Cochrane was certainly still alive in 1935 as he appeared on the Rhode Island Census and was living at 50 Pocasset Avenue, Providence, Rhode Island.
He would have been 67 at the time but interestingly it states as his marital status he was married so with Myra Belle dying in 1911 it appears he married yet again to someone and more than likely he married in Providence again......
Any ideas or what became of John Thomas Cohrane's latter years?
Thanks to anyone as always. This site is great for helping trace those far away relations  :) :) :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »
1930 Providence Census
John T Cochrane, age 61, (I believe married at age 43), born England, immigrated 1890, Machinist, Machine Shop
Josephine A. Cochrane, age 60, (I believe married at age 42), born Rhode Island, father born Spain, mother born Rhode Island
Living with them was Eliza A Whittaker?, cousin, age 65, widowed, born England, immigrated 1880, Packer, Candy Factory
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 23:36 GMT (UK) »
J Thomas Cochrane and Josephine A were still living on Pocasset Avenue in 1939 (they are in the City Directory).  They are in the 1943, 1946 and 1949 directories as well.  I don't believe there are directories available online after that time (I could be wrong).

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Excellent updates on John Thomas Cochrane Lisa - thank you  :)
Anything else you can find please let me know.
I'm naturally hoping from anything further I can find on Ernest and Harry that they at least married and had children from there excursions in Canada.
It's certainly leading to a facinating life story for all 3 of the Cochrane males!

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Lisa
One quick question on the directories where you state they are there in 1943, 1946 and 1949 does this definately confirm they were alive certainly up to 1949 or is it possible they could have died and they've not been taken out?
You will know better than me how the City directories work in the US that's only why I'm asking the question
Thanks