Author Topic: Cochrane family from Manchester, England 1900  (Read 15754 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Cochrane family from Manchester, England 1900
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil:

Actually, I'm Canadian  ;) but I would think Canadian directories might work about the same as American ones.

I believe people were included in the directories until they passed away.  From several of my own ancestors, I've found that when the spouse dies, the following year's entry states "Jane (widow of John) Jones" (or something like that).  I don't know if there would be a reference to a wife's passing.

I will have a look at some San Francisco directories.  My husband's ancestor is listed in it.  I'll be back in a few minutes.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 01:07 GMT (UK) »
I will have a look for Ernest and Harry later on as well.  (We are in the middle of supper preparations.)  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 01:23 GMT (UK) »
My husband's ancestor passed away in August of 1921.  He is last shown in the 1920 (San Francisco) directory.  His wife died before him; she is not shown in the directory, prior to her passing.

The 1911 San Francisco directory lists their widowed women as:
"Jones  Jane, widow, r 123 Main"

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Lisa for the updates really appreciated :-)
If you get anything on Ernest and Harry as always please let me know
It looks like then with John T that he was at least past 80 years before he died from that directory information......
What a life he's had and at the moment from searches he's still not officially dead yet!  ;D
Rayson - Bedworth pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Mills - Ireland pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Baxendale - Wigan pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Tallis - Bedworth pre and post 1850
England - Manchester pre and post 1850
Townsend - Halifax pre and post 1850

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 13:51 GMT (UK) »
1952 & 1953 Providence city directories
Cochrane, John T. (Josephine) home 666 Prairie av. 1A

1956, 1957, & 1958 Providence city directories
Cochrane, John T. (Josephine) home 642 Prairie av., apt. 2A

I don't see them in the Providence directories for 1959 or 1960.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
SS Nevis arriving New York 14 Feb. 1922 from port of Annotto Bay
List of Seaman or other persons employed on the vessel

Ernest Cochrane, next of kin - J.T. Cochrane (father) Providence, R.I., citizenship - US, position in ship's company - purser, engaged 5/10/21 at Santiago (?), age 29, male, single, 5'6" tall, light complexion, light hair, eye color hard to read, but maybe topaz?

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelley
Thanks for the updates - really interesting! Thank you :)
So based on what Lisa was explaining then it appears then that they were both still alive then up to 1958? Is that right?
Also did you get my personal message with my email so you could send me those images etc that you mentioned?
I cant wait to see them
Thanks
Phil

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, looks like they probably lived until a ripe old age.  City directories will sometimes list a date of death or if people moved to another town, but unfortunately neither seem to be listed for this couple. 

I just sent off the passport applications, so hopefully they're there for you now.

Also, on a bit of a tangent, I found an obituary for a Mrs. Mary Louisa Thompson Farley who died at age 92 on 29 Jun. 1956 in Newport, Rhode Island.  One of her sisters is listed as Mrs. Josephine Cochrane of Providence, so I thought that might be John's wife.  It says Mary was born in Newport to Noah & Rachael Weaver Thompson. 

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Its an interesting one Shelley about a possible sister of Josephine's being Mary.
If you check back on this thread Lisa mentioned about the marriage to Josephine but because it was a future directory listing in 1930 naturally she was listed as a Cochrane but it did also mention the marriage had been 18 years prior around 1912.
From any other searches or sites you have might it locate this marriage between them?
I'll be able to check your email when I get home with the attachments as I'm work at the moment and I cant access personal email but I least I can access this site  :) thanks again
Also is there an image to do with Ernest Cochrane with this arrival on the SS Nevis that you could email me also?
All your help so far has been truly amazing - I just really hope that between Harry and Ernest they had children and their line still has living blood relations.
Harry and Ernest were my Great Gran's cousins  :)