Author Topic: Carruthers-Little  (Read 1792 times)

Offline tyshapuzzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carruthers-Little
« on: Wednesday 26 January 11 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for help with a longstanding brick wall.

James Little (b.abt 1808 dumfries/annan) and his wife Helen Carruthers (1812 middlebie) of Snab Farm, middlebie/kirkpatrick-fleming and later of Greenquarries, Cumberland.

I have located James and family on all relevant census returns but I am struggling with his parentage.

Most of his children's baptisms are missing along with his marriage although I have found a couple of likely looking entries in the Ecclefecchan Associate Session. So it looks like the family might have been nonconformist.

I have done marginally better with Helen's ancestry (F. William Carruthers, M. Mary Norris) largly due to a habit her family had of naming daughters Norris.

Is anyone looking at this family at all?

Many Thanks
Annemarie

Offline weesieweasel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carruthers-Little
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 16:13 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure I can be of much help as I haven't come across the name Carruthers in my search. However, I do have a lot of Little's in Dumfries. It's also interesting as my husband has Little's in his tree that came from Arlecdon, Cumberland. I've just checked my notes and I have Elizabeth Little, born 1870 in Arlecdon. She married John Sandilands and they are my husbands great great grandparents. Elizabeth's parents were Robert Little (1837) and Elizabeth Dawson (1838).

My Little's tend to come from Middlebie and Hutton & Corrie.
Little - Dumfries (Clan Little) and Bristol
Moule
Perks
Taylor
Helsdon - Norfolk
Grix - Norfolk
Jenkins
Gainford - husbands family (which also contains Littles from Cumbria!)