Author Topic: Larbert lunatic asylum.  (Read 22088 times)

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Larbert lunatic asylum.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 March 11 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,

How are you?

My GG Grandmother was in Bellsdyke Hospital in 1901 - the reason was post natal depression.  The reasons are amazing that pateints were in here - not like today at all.

I'm close by the hospital, there are still a few partial remaining blocks of the original hospital left (most have been badly damaged by fire now though)

Offline hazelnuts01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 13:07 BST (UK) »
An aunt of mine died in the Asylum, Larbert  of Enteritis - she lived in Avonbridge, near Bathgate.
I think Larbert Asylum  was probably a general hospital eventually - that was in 1933.
Hazelnuts.
wilson (renfrewshire,paisley)

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
...Would this asylum cater for Armadale/Bathgate districts?...

From my own family, it would appear that it did.  My mum's great aunt died at Larbert in 1917, although her usual address was in Broxburn [which is even closer to Bangour!]

I suppose it may have depended on the circumstances and the nature of the person's condition.  I also think that Bangour was requisitioned as a Military Hospital during WW1, so that perhaps made a difference.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline snimmo243

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 May 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Rockford
You are correct about Bangour and WW1, there was, in fact a rail line direct to the hospital at the time. Bangour developed the top burns/plastic surgery unit in Britain which was still the case into the nineties where it was used during the first Iraq conflict before being transferred to St John's in Livingston.
It is worth bearing in mind that there were two parts to Bangour - the General Hospital (no longer exists) to the north and the Village (Psychiatric) to the south. The Village buildings are still standing although they are unused.

Steven
Nisbet - Berwickshire, Haddingtonshire, Midlothian, Linlithgowshire, Stirlingshire
Borthwick, Aitchison, Denholm, Jamieson
Smith - Stirlingshire, Linlithgowshire, County Down

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 June 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Apologies to all who have replied,I don't seem to have been alerted to replies on this thread.Though my GG gran is entered as dying at Larbert,strangely no proof of her being admitted has turned up yet.Interesting the comment on depression as she did have a last child quite late in life and at the time of her death this was the only one left at home with her husband.Are the bulding that are still their the former asylum?
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline snimmo243

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
some of the buildings are still there and in use as a psychiatric unit
Nisbet - Berwickshire, Haddingtonshire, Midlothian, Linlithgowshire, Stirlingshire
Borthwick, Aitchison, Denholm, Jamieson
Smith - Stirlingshire, Linlithgowshire, County Down

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 20:58 BST (UK) »
None of the original Bellsdyke Hospital is still in use.  There are parts of the original hospital still in existence - mainly being supported by Scaffolding now as in the last few years it has been the target of arsonists.

Mental Health Services are within the remaining Bellsdyke Hospital which consists of Tryst Park, Tryst View and Russell Park.  These are fairly new build units, there is also a Therapuetic services unit on site and a shop.  THe area is rapidly being surrounded by new housing. 

The newly opened Forth Valley Royal hospital is on the site of the former Royal Scottish National Hospital, the old hospital was gradually shut down and patients transferred back to their originating health boards in 1999.  There are some Learning Disability units (known as the Bungalows) on the approach to the hospital.  Grounds maintenance recently uncovered a tunnel leading from Larbert House (on the RSNH site) to the lake - as yet details of what it would have been used for are a mystery.

If I get a chance I'll go and take some photos of the existing structures.  I'm led to believe that permission has recently been given to demolish the old Larbert House and another building at Central Boulevard - not sure how accurate that information is at the moment.

Gill x

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gill,that tunnel does seem strange,why would it lead to the lake?
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline snooki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 October 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Another possible reason for being in there could sadly be dementia