Author Topic: Adam Thomas Macaulay, Senior Director of Belfast Banking Co. & Mitchell family  (Read 10433 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mitchell and Alexander Mitchell were mentioned as being cousins of Adam T. Macaulay,
in his obit, but I have not been able to find their exact connection.   Here is what I have:

1.  Capt. James Macaulay, JP (1761-1838) m. 1785 Jane Hyndman, dau of Thomas Hyndman and Elizabeth Bell

2.  Thomas Henry Macaulay (1786-1848), merchant, married Mary Dickey, dau of Adam Dickey of Hollybrook,
Randalstown, Co., Antrim

3.  James Hyndman Macaulay, Manager of Northern Bank, married Annie Hyndman, his 2nd cousin, dau of
Thomas Hyndman and Elizabeth Hodgson.

4.  Isabel Macaulay m. 1874 Robert Allman Smith, son of Rev. George Smith and Charlotte Lees [not sure if Isabel died or divorced Robert; there is also an Isabel Macaulay who married Alexander McClelland in 1877]

5.  Isabel Smith, born 1875.

4.  Mary Ann Macaulay m. 1873 Andrew McClelland

4.  George Dundas Macaulay, d. 1898

4.  James Hyndman Macaulay, Jr. died 1921

4.  Henry Anderson Macaulay, solicitor, m. Rebecca Olivia Leech, dau of Charles Leech, Q.C.

4.  Francis Adam Macaulay m. 1885 Wilhelmina Mary Jane Learmont Anderson, dau of William Anderson of Bayhead, Co. Anrtrim and niece of Sir James Eglinton Anderson, M.D.

3.  Adam Thomas Macaulay

From the above you can see that there were no Mitchells mentioned.  A long time ago I  found the following information
which may also be of relevance:  In 1890 Burrell & Son sells 1 share to Jessie Macaulay Mitchell and Mary Higgisn Mitchell.  If possible I would like to know which Macaulay married into the Mitchell family.  With many thanks--Paul

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Thomas Macaulay, Senior Director of Belfast Banking Co. & Mitchell family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
According to 1901 census James Hyndman Macaulay (b.c1826), banker, m. Annie Hyndman (b.c1831 Antigua, West Indies). Two sons: James Hyndman (b.c1844 Londonderry City), merchant, and Henry Anderson (b.c1848 Coleraine), solicitor. Also in household was Annie's unmarried sister Isabel Hyndman (b.c1829 Antigua).
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Mount_Charles/977072

Henry Anderson Macaulay died 1925 and wife's name was Rebecca Olivia according to Will Extract on PRONI website.

James Hyndman Macaulay died in 1907 and left quite a fortune: "Probate of the Will (and three Codicils) of James Hyndman Macaulay late of 26 Mountcharles-street Belfast Retired Bank Manager who died 5 September 1907 granted at Belfast to Francis Adam Macaulay Gentleman and Edward O'Rorke Dickey Solicitor." Will mentions wife Annie, daughter Mary Greer, son Francis Adam Macaulay, son Henry Anderson Macaulay and 3 children of Henry's, invalid son James Hyndman Macaulay. One of the codicils mentions daughters of son Henry.

Adam Thomas Macaulay also left a large fortune- "The Will (with three Codicils) of Adam Thomas Macaulay late of NO 4 Queen's Elms Belfast Bank Director who died 11 May 1894 at same place was proved at Belfast by Edward O'Rorke Dickey of 31 Donegall-street Belfast Solicitor the sole Executor." Will mentions nephew George Dundas Macaulay, nephew Adam Macaulay Anderson, niece Mary McClelland, cousin Edward O'Rourke Dickey (solicitor), cousin Kate Dickey, brother James Hyndman Macaulay. Three codicils also mention other names and burial instriuctions (City Cemetery).

I'll continue looking for a Mitchell connection but it could be an error in the obituary. I spent years searching for a "cousin" who lived in Bushmills from a 1925 obituary, found the name in directories, etc. only to discover (finally) that his only connection was that he had come from the same town deceased lived in and had the same surname!

Added- forgot to mention that 1901 census lists James Hyndman Macaulay as born Liverpool, England.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Thomas Macaulay, Senior Director of Belfast Banking Co. & Mitchell family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 January 11 00:20 GMT (UK) »
“Isabel Hyndman Macaulay m. 9 July 1874 Robert Allman Smith at St. Patrick's Church of Ireland, Coleraine, Londonderry.
On 26 November 1877 at Joymount Presbyterian Church, Carrickfergus, Larne Isabella Macauley married Alexander McClelland. Same Isabella??”

Since Isabel Macaulay and Robert Smith had a daughter born May 1878 the 1877 marriage of an Isabel Macaulay to Andrew McClelland can be eliminated.

Actually, it's possible that Isabella died and Robert remarried- a Robert Allman Smith (c1844), son of Rev. George Sidney Smith, m.(25 Sept.1885 St. Bartholomew’s, Dublin) Eva Kathleen Crozier. 1905- Solsborough House, Nenagh.
1901 census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Nenagh_Rural/Solsborough/1697335
There is a possible death registration: Isabel Hyndman SMITH, age 38, Oct./Dec.1883 Inishowen (Donegal) registration district, volume 2 page 98.

Here’s Rebecca Olivia Macaulay in 1911 census- also in the household is a niece Isabel Annie Allman Smith age 36.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Portrush_Town/Craigvara_Terrace/130978

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 January 11 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey, with many thanks for the input and additional information.
With best wishes always, Paul

Offline Gymdom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 17 06:03 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is accurate but it is what Familysearch.com (the Morman genealogical website) has for my husband's grandmother's (Gladys Elise Mitchell b. 1894)

Archibald Mitchell
Deceased • M1G2-RSX​
Jessie Mcaulay
Deceased • M1G2-RSP​
No Marriage Events

Children (1)
Archibald Mitchell
1837–1870 • K6W4-ZJ8​

Per this information:
-Gladys' father: Donald Frederick Mitchell b. 8/12/1863 (Glencoe, Ontario, Canada) d. 1947 Detroit

-D. F. Mitchell's (above) father was Archibald Mitchell b. 3/22/1837; christened 4/6/1837 at Dunoon and Kilmun, Argyll,

- Archibald Mitchell's parents are shown as Archibald Mitchell - no date of birth but presumably in early 1800's and Jessie Mcaulay - so perhaps this hints at the connection you were looking for?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
Gymdom- it looks like the records you've pasted are submitted LDS records which may or may not be accurate. However, I can't see any connection to the Mitchells and Macaulays in this thread.

Lots more Irish resources online since you started this thread, Paul. Perhaps you've figured out the connection between Adam Thomas Macaulay and the Mitchells?

Adams' death certificate (1894)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1894/05969/4696891.pdf

May be a red herring but this Alexander Mitchell died 1908 and had a brother John-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05498/4540209.pdf
Probate of the Will of Alexander Mitchell late of 75 Fitzwilliam Place University Road Belfast Esquire who died 23 April 1908 granted at Belfast to Joseph Mitchell and John Mitchell Esquires. Effects £9,710 4s. 8d. Lots of his family mentioned in Will.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/University_Road/977354

Birth certificate of daughter Mary Stewart Mitchell gives mother as Mary Stewart Miller-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03300/2209564.pdf

Alexander Mitchell, son of George Thomas Mitchell, married 1860 Mary Stewart Millar-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGX4-QJC
Another daughter born 1864 Holywood district-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03619/2335979.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 September 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of George Thomas Mitchell late of 75 Fitzwilliam-place Belfast Gentleman who died 14 May 1894 at Royal Hospital Belfast were granted [15 Oct.1894]at Belfast to Alexander Mitchell of 75 Fitzwilliam-place Belfast Esquire the Father. Effects £496 6s. 7d.
Administration of the Unadministered Estate of George Thomas Mitchell late of 75 Fitzwilliam Place Belfast Gentleman who died 14 May 1894 at The Royal Hospital Belfast granted [12 Oct.1908] at Belfast to Joseph Mitchell Esquire. Effects £641 5s. 0d.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1894/05969/4696791.pdf

Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Mary Stewart Mitchell late of 75 Fitzwilliam-place Belfast who died 29 May 1895 were granted at Belfast to Alexander Mitchell of 75 Fitzwilliam-place Esquire the Husband. Effects £2,808 19s.
Administration of the Unadministered Estate of Mary Stewart Mitchell late of 75 Fitzwilliam Place Belfast who died 29 May 1895 granted at Belfast to Joseph Mitchell Esquire. Effects £252 14s. 11d.

Mitchell Mary Stewart of Laurel Villa 22 Rosetta Park Belfast spinster died 14 August 1946 Probate Belfast 19 December to Arthur Allen civil servant. Effects £644 6s. 7d.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 September 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
The above Alexander Mitchell may not be the correct one but looking for clues to either confirm or rule him out.

George Mitchell, son of George Thomas Mitchell, married (1858 Lisburn district) Mary Hogg Thompson-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGZM-HPW

Estate of Frances Anderson (died 1847) mentions a George Thomas Mitchell (former administrator)- a Catherine Anderson mentioned in extract-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GTMG-V8F?i=10&cc=1921305

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
Paul- think I've just about figured out the connection between Adam Thomas Macaulay, son of Thomas Henry Macaulay & Mary Dickey, and John & Alexander Mitchell. You are likely to have more details but here's a brief outline.

George Thomas Mitchell (d.bef.1858). Children (not in order)-
1.   Fanny Mitchell, eldest daughter, m.(1860) Richard McClelland
2.   William Stevenson Mitchell (c1827-1888)
3.   Alexander Mitchell (c1828-1908), 2nd son, m.(1860) Mary Stewart Miller
4.   Helena Mitchell (c1830-aft.1911), 2nd daughter, m.(1858) Rev. William Payne
5.   George Mitchell (d.1876), 3rd son, m.(1858) Mary Hogg Thompson. His Will mentions cousin Kate Dickey of Kinnaird Terrace, Belfast.
6.   McCluney Mitchell (c1839-1863)
7.   Robert Mitchell (d.1867)
8.   John Mitchell (c1841-1911)
9.   Joseph Mitchell (d.1922)
10.   Kate Stevenson Mitchell (c1844-1902)

"Cousin Kate Dickey" leads to this family-
Adam Dickey (c1774-1864) m. Eleanor O’Rorke (c1805-1882)
1.   Elizabeth Mary Montgomery “Lizzie” Dickey (c1840-1910) m. John Young
2.   Catherine Eleanor “Kate” Dickey (c1836-1905)
3.   Adam Hugh Montgomery Dickey (d.1891) m. Alicia Clarke
4.   Daniel J. O’Rorke Dickey (d.1880)
5.   Edward O’Rorke Dickey (c1844-1913) m.1 Margaret, m.2 Emily

Above is just brief outline but I've compiled an extensive family tree using Wills, vital records, etc. Send me your email address by personal message if you would like the full details.