Author Topic: ***COMPLETED REQUESTS - PLEASE READ***  (Read 4709 times)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
***COMPLETED REQUESTS - PLEASE READ***
« on: Friday 28 January 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Reminder...

If your request has been completed, or is no longer relevant for any reason, please use the "Modify" button to add the word *COMPLETED* to the titles of your first and last posts on the topic so it can be moved  to the Completed Requests board.

This helps to avoid wasting the time of members who do the look-ups, and makes the unanswered and ongoing requests easier to find. 

When is my request "completed"?

Not always as obvious as it sounds....  ::)

Some requests are very straightforward, and can easily be "signed off".  Others seem to lead to more and more follow-up questions, and it's sometimes difficult for lookers-up to know whether all the questions in a long thread have been dealt with.  My own preference in this case is to start a new topic, especially if the title of the original request is no longer applicable: in this case, a summary of any relevant information already found will save time for the new lookers-up!

With thanks,

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harfielc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ***COMPLETED REQUESTS - PLEASE READ***
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 15 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Where is the Modify button.  I selected the white box at the bottom of postings that said completed.  But can't find the modify button.
c

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: ***COMPLETED REQUESTS - PLEASE READ***
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Where is the Modify button.  I selected the white box at the bottom of postings that said completed.  But can't find the modify button.
c

After 24 hours it no longer exists,they changed the option to go back in and modify your posting about 18 months ago. It was to stop people suddenly changing a message and making a nonsense of the whole thread.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk