Author Topic: Abraham Pattinson 1790/1 Heversham  (Read 5483 times)

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abraham Pattinson 1790/1 Heversham
« on: Friday 28 January 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for help on Abraham Pattinson born 31/12/1790 baptised 23/01/1791 Heversham
Parents Isaac Pattinson and Ann (possibly Richardson)

I think he may have married Mary Allison on 11/07/1814 in Grasmere

and he may be dead by 1841

I am trying to connect him to Isaac Pattinson born 1815 Ambleside who marries a Mary Kennedy in Middlbie Dumfrieshire in 1846 [this is from an 1855 birth cert]

In the 1851 scottish census Isaac's brother Abraham and his wife Agnes are living with him in Canobie

there is a marriage record for Abraham Pattinson marrying an Agnes Barrow which states that the grooms fathers name is Abraham

in 1861 Abraham & Agnes have moved back to Westmorland and are living next door to another brother Thomas

in 1871 Abraham and Thomas and their families are still living next door to each other

all the dates seem reasonable and the names fit, but I am unable to prove it

any help gratefully received, particularly Gravestone inscriptions

Tkgafs

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Pattinson 1790/1 Heversham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage licence:

4 Nov 1786
Isaac Pattinson of Wigton, linnen-manufacturer
Ann Richarson of Westward
bondsman: John Hodge of Wigton, gentleman
marriage to take place at Westward

I also had a look for other unusual  'biblical' sounding Pattinsons around the same time:

9 Jan 1788
Jeremiah Pattinson of Bowness, linnen manufacturer
Ann Dalston of Wigton
bondsman: George Dalson of Wigton, gentleman
marriage to take place at Wigton

a Nathan Pattinson of Wigton gentleman is the bondsman for a marriage in 1788.

Hope it helps
regards
Deborah

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
Deborah,

many thanks for the update, I have suspected that Issac Pattinson and Ann Richardson married but I had been unable to find out where

from your information I have found the following

Isaac Pattinson & Anne Richardson had the following children

Joseph Pattinson baptised Wigton 09/06/1793
Isaac Pattinson baptised Wigton 19/05/1797
Jacob Pattinson baptised Wigton 01/01/1800

along with the tantalising oddity

Abraham Pattinson born 31/12/1790 and baptised Heversham 23/01/1791

but why was he  born 60 miles away from Wigton, where they got married and presumably lived, unless they returned there each time to get the other children baptised at Anns church.

Unfortunately the spouses name is only listed as Ann in the Heversham records listed on the IGI, yet he has a nice biblical name and the dates don't clash

He is also the only Pattinson born in Heversham as far as I can see.

So I still cant tie him positively to Isaac and Ann as his parents or to what I think should be his son Issac born 1815 Ambleside

Where did you find the marriage licence records, and would the actual licence have any more information on it ?

thanks again

Tkgafs

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
What you have sounds fairly convincing to me.

These are marriage licence/bonds for the Diocese of Carlisle.  The originals no longer exist but before they were destroyed an index was made and the index has been reproduced.

If Abraham was the first child of this marriage (possibly not it was 4 years later?) then Anne might easily have wanted to be with a close female relative for the birth.  Or they could have been away for Christmas?  travelling around a fair bit? living in Heversham for a few years?

Unfortunately Richar(d)son is not a great name to track down.

I would want to look at the parish records for all the parishes to which there appear to be links rather than relying on the IGI.   Have you looked to see if there are any Pattinson wills?

Is that Jeremiah a brother, father, uncle, cousin of your Isaac?  It seems as if they may be fairly well off?  There is also an Isaac Pattinson currier of Penrith.
regards
Deborah

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 April 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Deborah,

Sorry for taking so  long to reply, work has been getting in the way

I cant easily see the the actual parish records as I live too far away

I suspect they may have been in Heversham because there was a linen industry there.

I dont know much about the Pattinsons, the ones I know of and am descended from seem to originate from Ambleside from a Father called Abraham which I think, but cant as yet prove is the one born in Heversham.

and most of the family seems to have been in the Building trade in some way or another, stone masons, builders, joiners, black smiths etc in fact there is a building firm called Pattinson in Windermere to this day

All of which may go against Abraham being a son of Issac and Ann, but as you say I really need to see parish records, wills, MIs etc

I have a slight suspicion that Issac son of Abraham may have been married twice once in 1846 in Middlebie Dumfries Scotland to Mary Kennedy and possibly earlier in 1840 in Kendal to Jane Cloudsdale although other than the marriage appearing in the IGI I cant find any other information about this. I also cant find them in the 1841 census in either Scotland or England

Any thoughts

Tkgafs

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 17:36 BST (UK) »
Notice in  Westmorland Gazette Saturday 16 June 1832,  Cumbria, England     ... At Ambleside, on the  3d inst., Mr. Abraham Pattinson, waller, aged 41.    Another researcher lists cause of death as Pneumonia. [ apparently after falling into a river whilst building a bridge, but I cant find any confirmation of this fact]

This given age matches a date of birth of 1791 so goes some way to linking them together.

Apparently there is a book "Pattinsons Builders of Windermere : A Chronicle of a Lakeland Family and Firm " written by George Pattinson around 1973

Amazon describes the book thus "The story of the Pattinson family who for over four centuries played a great part in the growth and development of the district around Windemere, which began with the first Pattinson building the Matterdale church in 1573. "

The book seems to be out of print but if anyone has access to a copy and could look up things I'd be very grateful

Tkgafs