Author Topic: Monumental Inscription, Port Isaac.  (Read 2618 times)

Offline English Rose

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching the ASHTON TERRITORIALS.
    • View Profile
Monumental Inscription, Port Isaac.
« on: Friday 28 January 11 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I know this is a long shot, but here goes ...

I am writing in the hope that someone might be able to help an elderly gentleman who recently visited Port Isaac. Whilst there, he took a stroll around an old Methodist Church/Churchyard where he came upon a grave inscription relating to a Royal Naval Serviceman who had been killed in 1914 off the Coast of South Africa. Sadly the elderly gentleman can not recall the servicemans name. He does recall however, that the inscription included the letters LCC, and he being ex Royal Navy himself was puzzled by this. He wondered what it meant?

I do believe that HMS Pegasus was sunk off Zanzibar in 1914 and that there were casualties (37 if memory serves me right). The Casualties are buried in Dar Es Salaam war Cemetery & Zanzibar (Grave Island) Cemetery.

I know this is a long shot, since we do not know the Royal Naval Servicemans name, but I was hopeful that perhaps the inscription on the grave in the old Methodist Churchyard had been transcribed.

Any help appreciated.

English Rose.

CORBETT/CORBET/CORBITT  in Belfast and Antrim. CORBETT in...
LANCASHIRE - Ashton-Under-Lyne, Newton & Godley, Hollingworth, Rochdale.
CORBETT in CHESHIRE - Heaton Norris, Stockport, Stalybridge, Cheadle.
CORBETT in DERBYSHIRE - Glossop, Padfield & Hayfield.
CORBETT in USA. R.I. Providence, Pawtucket, Attleboro, Central Falls.

RESEARCHING THE ASHTON TERRITORIALS, 9TH BATTALION OF THE MANCHESTER REGIMENT.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Inscription, Port Isaac.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
I've just been on holiday in Cornwall and took myself off to Port Isaac to see what I could find (now I know I'm a FH-anatic  :))

According to some locals, there has never been a burial place in Port Isaac itself - there isn't enough room.  All burials have been in St Endellion churchyard, a couple of miles inland.

There were two Methodist Chapels in Port Isaac, both now out of use.  The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Middle Street appears to be a private house.  The United Wesleyan Methodist Free Church is now a pottery, but a lot of the interior seems to be unaltered - see picture at the bottom of

www.portisaacpottery.co.uk

I carried on to St Endellion churchyard to have a look round, but with limited time and a very hot day I couldn't find the grave you mentioned.  There doesn't seem to be a separate area for Non-Conformist burials, but there are graves dating from the early 1800s to present day.

Can I suggest that you ask the elderly gentleman if he can at least remember exactly where the graveyard was, as this might help someone else.

Sorry I couldn't do more - I would love to have solved this one  :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline English Rose

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching the ASHTON TERRITORIALS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 11 18:17 BST (UK) »
Dear danuslave,

Many thanks for all your efforts, they are very much appreciated. I dare say that the elderly gentleman who came across the grave has long since forgotten all about it as it was quite some time when he saw it. He didn't recall the servicemans name on the headstone, and he couldn't recall which graveyard/churchyard he visited - as I stated in my original post "It's a long shot" regarding finding an answer or any information on the subject.

I think we can say that this thread is now completed as the elderly gentleman was rather vague to begin with and so I feel that he will not be able to assist further.
Many thanks for the trouble you took to go and look, your help and the information you have provided, is very very much appreciated, it was most kind of you.

English Rose.
CORBETT/CORBET/CORBITT  in Belfast and Antrim. CORBETT in...
LANCASHIRE - Ashton-Under-Lyne, Newton & Godley, Hollingworth, Rochdale.
CORBETT in CHESHIRE - Heaton Norris, Stockport, Stalybridge, Cheadle.
CORBETT in DERBYSHIRE - Glossop, Padfield & Hayfield.
CORBETT in USA. R.I. Providence, Pawtucket, Attleboro, Central Falls.

RESEARCHING THE ASHTON TERRITORIALS, 9TH BATTALION OF THE MANCHESTER REGIMENT.

Offline sandiP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi The methodist cemetery for the Port Isaac area is at Chapel Amble.
All the graves are on Find A Grave
Hope that this helps
Sandi.P