Author Topic: jeannie forbes  (Read 13146 times)

Offline alan.1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
jeannie forbes
« on: Saturday 29 January 11 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I live in Australia and am trying to find my grandmother's family. She was born around 1880 in inverwick according to the scottish census of 1901.Can anyone trace her for me or give me any info on how to find her and her patents. I have a copy of her death cert and her marriage cert also the 1911 english census but have now hit a brick wall.
Regards Alan Aitken

Offline janinez

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: jeannie forbes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 11 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Welcome to rootschat  :)

It should say on the 1901 census and 1911 census especially if she is with her parents. The census I looked at is the 1901 with her born inverwick and has her as farmers dau aged 22  b. abt. 1879

Father: John Forbes 60, farmer b. Killin, Perthshire an children
John aged 16
Susan 3

Is this them??
Ellis, Coll, Ward, Toovey, Tait, Stone, Fowler, Stephenson, Dry, Townsend, Walters, Grainger,

Offline alan.1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 January 11 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine
Yes this is them. I have all that info. The 1911 English Census is she is married to my grandfather and has a son .Their names are Goodacre. I cannot find any birth cert. for her in Scotland. She was blind in her right eye which was white and I am now trying to find if she was put into an orphanage as they did quite often in those days for deformed children.
Alan.
ps thanks for your prompt reply

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 January 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I've located your Jeannies birth.  A very long saga - have downloaded the entry.  .  I'll post here later but got to go out now.

Told a little white lie on her mariage entry - and there is a fiddle on her census records.  Parents were unwed when she was born.  She appears to have been born on 05 Feb 1875.

I have the mum and dad on the 1881 census which I'll also post - and explain my logic for why I think she may be yours.

Regards,   Steve   :)

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 January 11 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for help on this one - from those who have census access. 

I went looking for Jeannie on the 1881 census (I have both Scotland discs) - no joy on finding an appropriate Jean/n/ie Forbes born a couple of years either side of 1879.

I then went looking for a John Forbes - a couple of years either side of 40 - born in Killin.  As this should be the father from the 1901 census.

Found a John Forbes aged 40 and married at Dalcherlich, Fortingall Perthshire.

Family members only:

Catherine McKerchar 69 W. b. Kenmore, Perth.  Head.  Farmer of 220 acres.
Donald McKerchar 35.  U.  b.  Killin Perthshire.   Son.  Farmers son
John Forbes  40. M.  b.  Killin, Pertshire.  Son in law.  Farmers servant.
Catherine Forbes 38.  M.  b.  Fortingal , Perthshire.  Daughter.
Christian Forbes 1m.  b.  Innerwick, Perthshire.  Grand- daughter
James Forbes  2y.  b.  Innerwick , Perthshire - Grandson.

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 January 11 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Then decided to expand the birth search to 1870 to 1885- all Forbes births in Innerwick, Perthshire.  There are only 5 - and I'd imagine possibly to the same couple.

1875  Jean
1876  Catherine
1878  James
1881  Christian
1883  John

Then downloaded Jeans birth entry from the offical govt website at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.  She was born to John Forbes a shepherd at 'Dalcherlich, Fortingall, Perthshire'and Catherine (difficult to make out, but it is Mckerracher).  The couple were not married.

I've been unable to find a marriage for the couple - others may.

I can find no record of Jean on the 1881 or 1891 census - over to the census experts.

Catherine Forbes died in 1897  She is down as Forbes - other name -  McKerracher.

On the wills and testaments section of Scotlands People there are 3 wills available for download for the Mckerrachers of Dalcherlich.  Latterly Catherine who died in 1886.

Over to others as I've run out of ideas.  Was Jean Forbes south of the border or elswhere for the 1881 and 1891census.  Or was Jean James?

Is this family 'yours'.

Regards,   Steve  :)

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 January 11 20:13 GMT (UK) »
This looks like them in 1891 at Kilmadock (same address as in 1901) all listed as being born at Fortingall -

Catherine Forbes   48
Jane Forbes   16
James Forbes   12
Christina Forbes   10
John Forbes   8

Looks like John and Catherine married in 1876 at Innerwick. Search using McK*r*r for Catherine's surname.

Regards,
Nel

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 January 11 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a match Nel

I fogot to add that Catherine Forbes from the family above died in Kilmadock.

1897 FORBES CATHERINE   MCKERRACHER F 53 KILMADOCK /PERTH 362/00 0023

Regards,   Steve

Also did a search on SP for any Forbes deaths in Perthshire - born 1 year either side of 1875 - searched from 1875 to 1882 - there were only 5.  Non that remotely resembles the Jean born in 1875.

Alan will have to get a copy of Catherine Forbes death entry from SP and then see if it ties in with the census records - if so.  They're the ones.  (Alan, SP is free to register - but ppv - min spend £6.00 - buys 30 credits which allows for the download of up to 5 bmds/census records - copies - not transcriptions).

Offline alan.1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 January 11 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Jeannie (Forbes) Goodacre death cert 17 Feb 1955 age 76.
Jeannie Forbes marriage cert.Dec 1908 age 29
1911 England Census Jeannie Goodacre age 30 born Perth Scotland.
She has been named as Jeannie in all, I also thought that a census was a legal document so this is the info. that I have been useing to find her on the assumption she was born around 1879. So if there is no birth cert. for her in 1879 I have to believe that you are correct and she was born in 1875.
Regards Alan
PS I really do appreciate all your assistance in finding her