Author Topic: Binghams in Armagh  (Read 23260 times)

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
Re: Binghams in Armagh
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 February 12 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there everyone,

Satchiel, would it chuck a spanner in the works too much if I said that I have Clements Bingham in my family tree too?

All of my info is from handwritten notes from family years back and I think there is a generation missing.  But I have one Clements Bingham being the son of another Clements Bingham who was the product of Elizabeth Clements marrying a Mr Bingham.  I don't know when this marriage was but it was in Ireland and most likely Northern Ireland as all of my family are from there.

My Mr Bingham and Elizabeth Clements had the following children:  Elizabeth, Clements, John, Mary and Jane.  My line comes from Elizabeth who married a John McKinley.  My Elizabeth is noted as dying in 1877 aged 89 years but I have nothing other than that.  Elizabeth's brother Clements Bingham married a Sarah and is noted as having the following children: Jane, Clements, William John, Thomas, Sarah and Mary.

I have no dates for any of them.  But my McKinleys were born in Armagh (Portadown) and Antrim (Belfast).  I have no idea if any Binghams followed or were in Belfast at the same time.  It is quite possible that the notes I had from family had some of Clements' children missing and generations mixed up.  As has already been said, the records are not great for back then.

I know this doesn't help you in the least but just take comfort from the fact that we are cousins!!! :D

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 February 12 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Bunny,
         A couple of dates for you.
22 Apr 1867 Clements Bingham married Sarah Hill in Shankill Church of Ireland, Lurgan
31 Jan 1890 Clements Bingham married Elizabeth Leyton in Queen St, Methodist Church, Lurgan.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 March 12 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I believe the BINGHAMS came over to Australia (Queensland) at roughly the same time as the Langtry family 1860-1890.  We relate to the BINGHAMS through Samuel Langtry who married Mary BINGHAM in 1808.  Samuel and his family were bootmakers.
I have the following details for the Binghams, based on a (Langtry) inheritace court case in 1910 :

Clements Bingham (1) (about 1750 to after 1780)
Had Children :-
Clements Bingham (2) (about 1770 - 1780 to ?), Married Sarah BLACK
Mary Bingham (about 1775-1780 to 1828-1833), Married Samuel Langtry 1808
Possibly Other children

Children of Clements Bingham (2):
Edward "Ned" Bingham b abt 1820-1830 to before 1911 (had children Clement & James)
Clement Bingham b abt 1820-1830 to before 1911
Thomas Bingham b abt 1820-1830 (had son Clements in 1845)
William John Bingham b1828 - 12/FEB/1913 m Mary Jane HILL on 19/JAN/1850, moved to Berwick, Northumberland. Had a son Clements about 1867.
Sarah Bingham b 1829- after 1850, marr Samuel WHITESIDE
David Bingham b 17 JUL 1831
Robert Bingham b 5 Jan 1834- 4/JAN/1900, m Ellen SINGLETON 14/FEB/1853. Went to Australia in 1860, died in Toowong QLD, AUS.  Was arrested several times in 1871 due to issues with his wife.
Mary Bingham b 1839

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 March 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Todd,

Awesome!!  Welcome cuzzie!  I had wondered where the Langtry's had gone!  This is so cool!  Nothing like finding family.  I'm related to you through Elizabeth Bingham who was your first Mary Bingham's sister.

What was the deal with the inheritance case?

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 March 12 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Great - would love to know more about your BINGHAMS, as I don't have your Elizabeth.

The court case was because Samuel(1), who married Mary BINGHAM had a son Samuel(2) who had an only child Samuel(3) who died intestate with no children.  My g.grandfather was a brother to Samuel(2) and with several brothers, inherited the estate, worth about 30,000 pounds back then - sadly seem to have spent the lot by the late 1920's as my grandfather was broke.

I have the Bingham details as they were potential claimants had none of Samuel and Mary's descendants been alive.

I was lucky enough to find a suitcase full of documents when I went over to Ireland to do some research, which listed many Langtry family details (as everyone was sticking their hands up as a relative!).

Let me know if you want anything and I'll send you what I have (though not the whole lot, its about 100pgs of stuff).

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 March 12 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Todd, you rock!!!  Thanks so much for your offer.  Sorry to be so nosy but  just where did you have the good fortune to find a suitcase of documents??!!!  I wish I could have so much luck.  I haven't made it to Ireland yet but will do some year or other.

I don't know who did the research that I have on the Binghams.  Must have been my great aunts years ago.  My Binghams start with no dates (how extraordinary!  ;D) with an Elizabeth Clements marrying a Mr Bingham and they had the following children: Elizabeth, Clements, John, Mary and Jane.  I have no idea what order the kids should go in.  Elizabeth married John McKinley (my line), Clements married Sarah, Mary married Samuel Langtry and Jane married James Hall.  I can sort of do my line but had been staring at the other wondering just how to do them because of the lack of Irish records...until this thread started.

You sound like you have too many Samuels!!  Ha ha ha!  I have that your Samuel and Mary had five boy (Thomas, Matthew, Samuel, John and Hancock) and no girls.  That's all I have for them.

With regards to the documents it might be easier if you just tell me what types you have first.

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 March 12 01:20 GMT (UK) »
I go over to Belfast for about a week every couple of years, so most of my Irish records come from there - PRONI and GRONI.  I was lucky to get a lot of information on Langtry's from someone over in the US doing research in the 1970's who contacted a lot of the old (age) Langtry's back then.  She had lots of pieces, but not a lot of ties between trees, so over the last 20 years I've been trying to pin it all together in the hopes of pushing my tree back.

As far as records go, I have just about everything BMD certificates/extracts, wills, land transfers, probate, shipping records and old letters.  Most of these are for LANGTRY/LANKTREE/LANGTREE only, you just got lucky with the Binghams that I had a couple of notes written about them by the solicitor back in 1911, and then out of curiosity tried to tie them together becuase the Court case had Samuel marrying Mary BINGHAM, but on his Death cert (assumedly filled in by a son) the mother was listed as MARY HALL which led me up the wrong pah for quite some time....needless to say, I'm intrigued by your Jane marrying James HALL. Halls, like the Binghams were also shoemakers in Lurgan.

I can try and dig them up and send them to you if you like, from memory its a bit patchy. My email is (*).

The suitcase has sadly been replaced by two large cardboard boxes, but if you get to PRONI in Belfast its reference number is D/1905/2/58/A/1.

Do you know recall how you got details of the Bingham-Langtry connection? 

The children of Samuel and Mary were :-
(1) Elizabeth Bp 18/MAR/1810 m Wm Cordner 29/JUL/1834, d 23/APR/1837
(2) Thomas Bp 21/JUN/1812 m Jane GAW or SAW 5/AUG/1833, d>1840 (Arrived into Botany Bay on "Formosa" on 11/JUL/1840)
(3) Mary Jane Bp 26/FEB/1815, d 12/SEP/1815
(4) Matthew Bp 25/AUG/1816, m 1840 Eliza JENKINSON, d 1858
(5) Mary Jane Bp 13/JUN/1819, d 1836-1888 in California
(6) Samuel Bp 17/FEB/1822 died 1822
(7) Samuel Bp 12/APR/1824, M 13/NOV/1848 Margaret FERGUSON, d 23/AUG 1883
(8) John (my gggrandfather) b 22/MAR/1830, m 26/MAY/1848 Margaret McGRATH, d 5/JUL/1888
(9) Hancock Bp 22/MAR/1829, m 30/MAR/1864 Esther FALKNER, d 30/MAR/1887

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 March 12 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Wow, this is so cool!!!  What a stroke of luck for me then.  I'd love any information you would be willing to pass on.  Does this mean the inheritance case was held in Ireland?

I don't know who managed to find the information I had but I probably still have the original bits of paper somewhere.  I'll look for them and then I'll be able to tell you if it was just a list or had some other reference to it.

I didn't realise that there were that many children!  I'm so glad you came onto this forum - I would have had no show of sorting out your line on my own!  Ha ha ha!  Major problem with a lot of the Irish records gone now.  I also have a lot of shoe/bootmakers in my tree....were there no other occupations in Ireland? ;)

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Bingham and Matilda Pendleton
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
They had several children including Alexander 1882 who moved to Scotland and married Victoria Irvine in 1907.

My interest, however, is in Alexander's mother Matilda Pendleton whose lineage nobody seems to have discovered. Could that be because her surname is more usually Pentland?