Author Topic: Jenkins  (Read 22698 times)

Offline Diane Heddon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkins
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 03:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me on this Diane.
As you are no doubt aware this business is very frustrating but a little addictive at the same time!
The only information I have is that my great grandfather was born in Monmouth Wales and died in Paddington Sydney, in 1926. He married in Morpeth NSW in 1878.  His parents were Martin Harris and Susannah Jenkin and it is stated on his death certificate that his father Martin was an Innkeeper.
That's about all the info I have.  If you have anything that maybe correlates with this I would be most grateful.
Thanks again,
Therese
G'day Theresa, hopefully i may be able to help you with what info i have...speak soon, regards 'Di in oz'smiles....

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hello wychlings  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Once you have made 3 postings on here you will be able to send and receive Personal Messages (PMs) with other Rootschatters:

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

I wonder whether Annie Jenkins was related to Edward Jenkins who founded the Clayton Tinplate Works in 1883, after he had purchased the Ffoesyrefail Works (and renamed it Clayton). In 1885, John Williams moved from Abertillery to manage the works.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline wychlings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 May 12 00:03 BST (UK) »
Morgan,

The information I posted about Annie and John Williams was gleaned from my mother, Eira Kerr (nee Williams), in an in depth conversation around 2000 and I believe her memory would have been fairly accurate at that time. However, memories play tricks and did I record it correctly at the time? I think so because I took,  what the lawyers call "contemporaneous notes"! From what you say about Edward Jenkins, founding the Clayton Tinplate Works in 1883 after he had purchased the Ffoesyrefail Works (and renamed it Clayton) and in 1885 and John Williams moving from Abertillery to manage the works, it could be that the Williams line obtained the interest in the business through both marriage and employment. Incidentally, my middle name is Arthur after my grandfather but my brother's is "Clayton" after the works we believe.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 17 May 12 00:45 BST (UK) »
Good to see family names continued down the generations  :)

Notebooks belonging to John Williams are at Swansea Record Office:

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=47150

On 1901 census, John is listed as Manager Tinplate Works, whereas Edward Jenkins was listed as Tinplate Manufacturer.

Offline Diane Heddon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 17 May 12 06:44 BST (UK) »
This information came from my mother (now deceased) around 2000. It relates to my great grandfather's wife, Annie Jenkins, the daughter of a wealthy innkeeper – they owned a coaching inn called the Landor Inn. Not sure it is helpful but worth putting into the pot.

About 1846 a McCarthy eloped from somewhere south of Cork in Ireland to start a new life in Newcastle. It was a daughter from this family, Ellen McCarthy, who lived from 1860 – 1937 who was to be my mother's grandmother.

Ellen married John Johnson, a butcher from the South Shields area in the north east of England. They lived in South Shields and her daughter Eveline Johnson was borne there in 1888. Eveline was Eira’s mother; she died on 6th October 1968.

Eveline was to marry Esau Arthur Williams in 1911 and have three children;

1. Eira,
2. Yvonne, her younger sister by just 1˝ yrs, and
3. Illtyd Morley, the youngest of the family by another 2 years.

Arthur Williams was borne in Landor, outside Swansea. He was Managing Director of the Clayton Tinplate Works in Pontardulais as was his father, John Williams before him. John was not wealthy, but he was clever and he married Annie Jenkins, the daughter of a wealthy innkeeper – they owned a coaching inn called the Landor Inn. He used this money to buy shares in the tinplate works thus gaining the MD position, turning it into a family business with 300 employees, and later into a steel strip mill.

Arthur died in November 1950; He lived at Plas Gwyn in Pontardulais from his marriage to Eveline (my granny) in 1911 (when the house was built) until his death.

More available ... but not in relation to the Jenkins connection.

TU so much for this exelent and wonderfull suprise for me[u hava made my day!!] after a few long years of wondering and researching no end...this Annie Jenkins was my 4th gr;grandmother...i am thrilled to bits! i will get back properly on this note  sap. luv Diane...in oz. born in Swansea 1944.
Hi, and thank you for this info...hopefully all that the above message will link up with my Annah Jenkins who was born ab'1810/11 in' Llangyfelach possibily around the' Landore 'area]George Trusscot married this' Hannah' or 'Annah' jenkins, so far what I have gathered is that there were approx; 3 Annah's as in motheer daughter grandmother,, Annah Sophia was an added middle name to one or 2 of them even!One of these were HannahSophia JenkinsTruscottc1846. Llangyfelach-  FrederickJenkins Truscott[Landore Inn] Hannah born ab 1810 borned all of her children at her home in the Landore Inn so it was said.There was a Clemon and an AnnJ1832 Morriston Llangyfelach.Hannah dborn 1810/11  died aged 56 possibly in or around the Swansea area.March qtr1868.  I am hoping that this family corresponds and links to my Jenkins line...i hava lot to research still.  PS  A TONY JENKINS of the forest of dean site [found on google]  also has a SusSusannah in his two Jenkins lines.. thats all for now folks as i am not sure who or if we are relies here...regards happy hunging Diane.                                                                                                                                                                     

Offline Diane Heddon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 17 May 12 06:49 BST (UK) »
Good to see family names continued down the generations  :)

Notebooks belonging to John Williams are at Swansea Record Office:

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=47150

On 1901 census, John is listed as Manager Tinplate Works, whereas Edward Jenkins was listed as Tinplate Manufacturer.
Many thanks from Di.

Offline Diane Heddon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 17 May 12 08:11 BST (UK) »
This information came from my mother (now deceased) around 2000. It relates to my great grandfather's wife, Annie Jenkins, the daughter of a wealthy innkeeper – they owned a coaching inn called the Landor Inn. Not sure it is helpful but worth putting into the pot.

About 1846 a McCarthy eloped from somewhere south of Cork in Ireland to start a new life in Newcastle. It was a daughter from this family, Ellen McCarthy, who lived from 1860 – 1937 who was to be my mother's grandmother.

Ellen married John Johnson, a butcher from the South Shields area in the north east of England. They lived in South Shields and her daughter Eveline Johnson was borne there in 1888. Eveline was Eira’s mother; she died on 6th October 1968.

Eveline was to marry Esau Arthur Williams in 1911 and have three children;

1. Eira,
2. Yvonne, her younger sister by just 1˝ yrs, and
3. Illtyd Morley, the youngest of the family by another 2 years.

Arthur Williams was borne in Landor, outside Swansea. He was Managing Director of the Clayton Tinplate Works in Pontardulais as was his father, John Williams before him. John was not wealthy, but he was clever and he married Annie Jenkins, the daughter of a wealthy innkeeper – they owned a coaching inn called the Landor Inn. He used this money to buy shares in the tinplate works thus gaining the MD position, turning it into a family business with 300 employees, and later into a steel strip mill.

Arthur died in November 1950; He lived at Plas Gwyn in Pontardulais from his marriage to Eveline (my granny) in 1911 (when the house was built) until his death.

More available ... but not in relation to the Jenkins connection.

TU so much for this exelent and wonderfull suprise for me[u hava made my day!!] after a few long years of wondering and researching no end...this Annie Jenkins was my 4th gr;grandmother...i am thrilled to bits! i will get back properly on this note  sap. luv Diane...in oz. born in Swansea 1944.
Hi, and thank you for this info...hopefully all that the above message will link up with my Annah Jenkins who was born ab'1810/11 in' Llangyfelach possibily around the' Landore 'area]George Trusscot married this' Hannah' or 'Annah' jenkins, so far what I have gathered is that there were approx; 3 Annah's as in motheer daughter grandmother,, Annah Sophia was an added middle name to one or 2 of them even!One of these were HannahSophia JenkinsTruscottc1846. Llangyfelach-  FrederickJenkins Truscott[Landore Inn] Hannah born ab 1810 borned all of her children at her home in the Landore Inn so it was said.There was a Clemon and an AnnJ1832 Morriston Llangyfelach.Hannah dborn 1810/11  died aged 56 possibly in or around the Swansea area.March qtr1868.  I am hoping that this family corresponds and links to my Jenkins line...i hava lot to research still.  PS  A TONY JENKINS of the forest of dean site [found on google]  also has a SusSusannah in his two Jenkins lines.. thats all for now folks as i am not sure who or if we are relies here...regards happy hunting Diane.  ps yes i think Hannah brn;181- her brother was named Edward...he went to usa,,she tried to contact him re; the death of her father..but alas her brother had died not long before...more when i read my files n books tomorrow....                                                                                                                                                                    

Offline sylviaFAM2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor1955, Hope you have found the right Jenkins

Sylvia

Offline Diane Heddon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me on this Diane.
As you are no doubt aware this business is very frustrating but a little addictive at the same time!
The only information I have is that my great grandfather was born in Monmouth Wales and died in Paddington Sydney, in 1926. He married in Morpeth NSW in 1878.  His parents were Martin Harris and Susannah Jenkin and it is stated on his death certificate that his father Martin was an Innkeeper.
That's about all the info I have.  If you have anything that maybe correlates with this I would be most grateful.
Thanks again,
Therese
G'day Theresa, hopefully i may be able to help you with what info i have...speak soon, regards 'Di in oz'smiles....
Hi Theresa, at last page has just come up for me.I have just re-signed in here, hopefully we can keep in touch, also I will send you my new e mail address privately for you. I think that your Sussanah maybe a link to my family-.Also Edward? please reply here first, thanks ...regards Diane.