Author Topic: Gertrude Billington (Howard) Manchester  (Read 2450 times)

Offline menwuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gertrude Billington (Howard) Manchester
« on: Saturday 29 January 11 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out any information I can on Gertude Billington. she was my grandmother neice and I believe she was born around 1922. The only ref to her I have is from the Stafford Sentinal in 1925 when her father William Billington killed himself, his wife Catherine (nee Howard) and Jesse and Raymond their children. Gertrude appears to have survived and was described as in a serious condition, and I have the grave records for the family and she is not buried in the communal plot in southern cem. The incident took place in Hulme Manchester. Catherines Parents George and Emma Howard lived in the same street so it would seem likely that they would have taken Gertrude on themselves. George Haward appears in the grave records with the rest of the famil at plot R335 in Southern Cem along with my grandmother Ellen Billington who died giving birth to my father George Johnson in 1926.

Any help in tracing this lady would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gertrude Billington (Howard) Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 11 17:31 GMT (UK) »
could this be Gertrudes birth

Gertrude M Billington Dec qu 1919 Chorlton 8c 1642 mmn Howard

It might help with the search

Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline menwuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 January 11 17:56 GMT (UK) »
That certainly looks like her, thank you for the info

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 January 11 11:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage in 1936 in Blackburn but ordering certificates ad hoc could prove expensive.  I haven't posted the details (www.freebmd.org.uk) because I can't see a death and the lady might still be alive.

I really hope you find out what happened to her.  I remember your original post when you found out what happened to the rest of her family  :'(.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline menwuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 January 11 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Luzzu,
have only found one other ref to a Gertrude M Billington, thats a death in the 50s of a lady in her 70s. As its not such a common name it would seem likely that my Gertrude was the one you found.
Looks like I will have to wait until I find a job so I can pay for the cert before I can chase this line down any further.

Rgds
Dave

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 January 11 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Just checked Lancashire BMD to see if it gives the name of the church so may be you could ask for a look up at the library however, it says Blackburn Register Office or Registrar Attended  :(.  It does give her middle name as Mary though if this helps.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Ellepea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 October 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzzu
I don't know if you are still on the forum? but this lady is/was my grandmother (she died about 10 years ago). I can't believe it I was just doing a search on the subject myself. Am sure its hard for you to know if I am genuine.  She went on to marry and have one son. I am one is his daughters.  Unfortunately my understanding is that she wasn't taken in by family (although they lived near by) it seemed she was cared for by foster carers (various i think) until my Aunti lil (as i knew her) which i think was her cousin who never married took her in when she was aged approx 14years. This was in withington I think. I am trying to work out from your post how we would be related!?I think my dad would be your second cousin??

Offline Ellepea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 October 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
Apologies Luzzu I see I have messaged the wrong person and it should be to menwuk.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 October 17 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellepea

Welcome to Rootschat.

Just to give you a heads up menwuk was last online 29th December 2011, they will still get a message as long as they still have an active email account

Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones