Author Topic: TELFORD in Westmeath Co  (Read 12772 times)

Offline Tom Fletcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TELFORD in Westmeath Co
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 May 16 03:03 BST (UK) »
Geoff,
I have attached a printout from my Legacy FH File. This goes as far as my g.ggrandfather Wm Hone Fletcher. The information on George Fletcher and his family is scanty. However, you can see the predominance of the name, William in the family which was, at first, very confusing for me. I suggest that Thomas Henry Fletcher may be from The Judge Wm Fletcher family. I was able to work out Rev Stephens family from Lt Col Thos Will. When I obtained the will of his brother Wm (my g.g.grandfather) I thought all would be revealed but it only mentions his wife Hannah. Hannah's will likewise only refers to the Tasmanian (Australian) family.
Cheers,
Tom

Offline Self

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 05:53 BST (UK) »
Tom,

I recently obtained an Irish marriage certificate for a Thomas Henry FLETCHER dated 7 July 1854.   The certificate states this Thomas Henry FLETCHER, a merchant and widower from Newry, married a Grace Anne JOHNSTONE, the daughter of an Andrew JOHNSTONE.   Thomas' father was a William FLETCHER an upholsterer.    The couple were married in the parish of Donnybrook, Dublin.

I am unsure if this is the same Thomas Henry FLETCHER we have been talking about?

Regards,

Geoff

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
Grace Anne Fletcher died 1909 formerly of Dalkey and Kati Kati,Auckland ,N Zealand administration to John McCombe,accountant
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014916/005014916_00443.pdf

Offline Self

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
Well that answers that question, never assume.   FLETCHER is a very common name and obviously there was more than one Thomas Henry FLETCHER from Ireland in the mid 1800s,

Regards,

Geoff

Offline Tom Fletcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 May 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
They could still well be related. However, I just realized where I heard the name Thomas Henry Fletcher before - Another Fletcher family I know here in Australia originated from Warwickshire England although they know very little about their ancestry and they don't know how the Henry name got into the family.
To confuse matters even more, my g.g.grandparents bore a crest on their crockery. This crest - A talbot (large dog) with the motto - Dieu pour nous is reputedly that of the Gloucestershire, Warwickshire (England) and Saltoun (Scotland) Fletcher Families.

Family research is frustrating at times.
Cheers,
Tom

Offline Self

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 May 16 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom,

I can't see how this Thomas Henry FLETCHER who died in San Francisco in 1874 couldn't be related to our William Wellesley Pole FLETCHER (1836-1918).   

I can't find another person of that same age, who was living in Dublin, Ireland in 1874 and who had any connection to the Christian name of Wellesley?   I know FLETCHER is a common surname, but Wellesley is very uncommon.   The Irish probate listing also states he was the brother of Thomas Henry.    I am aware that some of these families repeatedly used a maternal surname: the surname Telford is spread right across my family, but a name such as William Wellesley Pole FLETCHER, who was an adult and living in Dublin in 1874 is not so common.

Our William Pole FLETCHER was born in approximately 1836 and his known siblings were Stephen (born 1829), Elizabeth (born 1830) and Mary (born 1832).   This leaves a four year gap between 1832 and when our William was born in 1836.   Their mother Sally Elizabeth nee TELFORD (1804-1878) was still short of the end of her child bearing years in 1836, perhaps this Thomas Henry was born in 1838?

Regards,

Geoff