Author Topic: TELFORD in Westmeath Co  (Read 12751 times)

Offline Self

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TELFORD in Westmeath Co
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
I think you may find that your John TELFORD could be the son Richard TELFORD (1801-1888) and his wife Mary WHITAKER (1798-1866) of Tara, Offaly.   This couple had a son Richard (1838-1923) who was born in Westmeath in 1838.   Richard TELFORD's (1801-1888) father was John TELFORD (1756-1831) of Sallybrook, Clara, Offaly.

Captain (later Major) William TELFORD (1795-1873) of Derrycooley, Offaly and later Rathmines, Dublin and his brother John TELFORD (1802-1856) of Ballyboughlin, Offaly were two of nine children born to William TEFORD (1770-1837) and Eliza FINN (1765-1854) of Greenville, Clara, Offaly.   This John TELFORD (1802-1856) did have a son John Gardener TELFORD (1842-2/12/1918) who died at West Derby, Lancs however it is my understanding that John G. TELFORD was born at Ballyboughlin and living in Toronto, Canada in 1881.   He was certainly there in Dec 1880.   His wife Eliza Jane BLUE died at Pine Bluff, Arkansas, USA in 1888.

Four of William TELFORD's (1795-1873) children migrated to Victoria, Australia in the 1850s.   One of his sons, Charles TELFORD died at Derrycooley on 29/3/1860.   William died at Rathmines, Dublin whilst living with his youngest sister Mrs Sally Elizabeth FLETCHER (1804-1878).   Sally's husband was Dublin barrister, Wellesley Pole FLETCHER (1797-1869).

The TELFORDs arrived in Ireland around 1715 from Skipton, Yorkshire.   John (1756-1831) and William TELFORD (1770-1837) were great grandsons of Michael TELFORD from Skipton.

Regards,

Self   

Offline santel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that information.  I'm sure our Telfords are connected there somewhere, but I don't think Richard is our John's (1836-?1886) father.  On his marriage cert our John's father is named James Tedford.  James is possibly a brother to Richard.
Our John named his first son William John, his 2nd Thomas and his 3rd James. 
The birth of his first child, Mary Jane Telford, was registered in USA in 1861.  There is a reference to her birth in the Channel Islands - possibly on board ship.  The family returned to Lancashire by 1863 when William John was born.  They returned to USA in 1883, probably to visit relatives, and had with them Fanny Telford aged 7 who was the daughter of William and Mary Telford of Kirkdale, Lancashire where they also lived, possibly daughter of John's brother.
Santel
WARD - Kirkham/Treales, Lancashire.
MOORE - Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
VON BEVERHOUDT - Danish West Indies (US Virgin Islands).
WEIDENBACH -Harz Mt, Germany & Sth Aust. 
ANSPACH - Germany, Sussex, Eng & Broken Hill, NSW.
TELFORD - Ireland & Liverpool, Lancs.
HABBERMAN/HEBBERMAN - Germany & Sth Aust
BENSON - Ireland, Tasmania & Ballarat, NSW

Offline Tom Fletcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 August 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
Sally Elizabeth Telford m Wellesley Pole Fletcher. W P Fletcher was my g.g.grandfather Wm Fletcher's brother. Sally and her brother, Maj Wm Telford are buried in the Fletcher family vault in Mount Jerome Cemetery Dublin. 

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 15 15:46 BST (UK) »

Offline santel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 01:36 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.
WARD - Kirkham/Treales, Lancashire.
MOORE - Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
VON BEVERHOUDT - Danish West Indies (US Virgin Islands).
WEIDENBACH -Harz Mt, Germany & Sth Aust. 
ANSPACH - Germany, Sussex, Eng & Broken Hill, NSW.
TELFORD - Ireland & Liverpool, Lancs.
HABBERMAN/HEBBERMAN - Germany & Sth Aust
BENSON - Ireland, Tasmania & Ballarat, NSW

Offline Self

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hello tom fletcher, I note you are a descendant of Wellesley pole fletcher 1798-1869 and his wife Sally Elizabeth Telford 1804-78   I am a ggg grandson of William Telford 1797-1873 who was Wellesley's brother in law, who was buried in the same mount hero me cemetery grave.

Recently, so I believed, I located all the great grandchildren of William and Sally and their seven siblings. 

It was my understanding that Wellesley and Sally had four children;

A. Stephen 1829-1856 who married Emily olive Elizabeth Whitley 1829-1857 and had no children.

B. Elizabeth 1830-1840.

C. Mary 1832-1860- up married

D. William pole fletcher 1836-1916 who married Ellen Blanche Daniel-tyssen 1851-1920.

I understand William & Ellen had four children;

A. Gwendoline Blanche 1883-1977 who married Henry Haines collet 1873-1952.

B.  guy Wellesley pole fletcher 1886-1942 who married eda Elizabeth farmer 1884-1970 who had two daughters.

C.  Kathleen Mary 1888-1959 who married Walter Harold finding Allen 1887-1969.

D.  John Mornington Bruce fletcher 1892-1966 who was unmarried.

As a result, my question is where does your surname fit into the information below?

I value any assistance you can provide,

Regards,

Self

Offline Tom Fletcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 May 16 11:34 BST (UK) »
More information on how my family is connected:
My g.g.grandfather, William Fletcher was Wellesley Pole Fletcher's brother.
My Fletcher line from William is
Deputy Commissary General William Fletcher/Hannah Hone;
William Hone Fletcher/Margaret Smith;
Thomas Charles Fletcher/Mabel Louisa Lamb;
Cuthbert Thomas Fletcher/Edith Mary Fletcher;
Thomas Cuthbert Fletcher (Me).
William Fletcher served in the Commissary Department of the British Army. He was posted to Hobart Town Van Diemens Land (Tasmania) Australia. He also had another brother, Thomas who served under Wellington in the Peninsular War against Napoleon. This fellow was posted to Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and attained the rank of Lt Colonel.
I have done a lot of research on my Fletcher family and it seems, although I can't prove it, we are connected to the Wellesley/Wellington family in some way.
Maybe being connected to "The Iron Duke" assisted Wm and Thos in their various promotions. Would love to know whether there is a connection. However, it is rather difficult as I live in Australia. Still, the internet is a good substitute.
Cheers,
Tom
PS - Wellesley and Telford are also family second names.

Offline Self

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 May 16 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom,

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about the FLETCHERs, my connection being with the TELFORDs.   In other words you can probably help me more than I can help you?  There is an Irish probate listing for a Thomas Henry FLETCHER who died on 26 June 1874 in San Francisco, USA and who named William Wellesley Pole FLETCHER as his executor.  The listing suggests Thomas was a brother, however I can find no age, DOB or baptism which can support this and he may very well be a cousin.

Can you assist?

Regards,

Geoff

Offline Tom Fletcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 May 16 01:56 BST (UK) »
Geoff,
This has certainly muddied the waters, so to speak. I would think he is a cousin. However, I will get back to you on this one.
Cheers,
Tom