Author Topic: Framlingham, KERSEY Families  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Framlingham, KERSEY Families
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 October 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors was Lydia Kersey (of Fakenham) who married William Able at Bromswell (near Ipswich) 13 Oct 1777. The family were generally non-conformist.

I wonder if there is any link?
Thank you for your mailing. You should be aware that "Bromswell" is now usually spelt as "Bromeswell" and that it is nearer to Woodbridge (2 miles) & Grundisburgh  (say Grunsbora!) (6 miles) than Ipswich (12 miles).
I am not aware of the Able family link, but I do know that the Framlingham & Woodbridge families were non-conformists. I also know that that a Abel/Able family lived in the Falkenham area of Suffolk, I am not aware of any link with the family that was living in Fakenham, Norfolk!
The other problem I have is that the given name of "Lydia" was very common within the Kersey family - daughters as well as wives!
Here are some "Kersey" events that occurred not too far away from Bromeswell.

Thomas & Lydia Kersey - d Lydia baptised Wetheringsett 12/5/1785
Joseph & Lydia Kersey - d Lydia baptised Woodbridge 6 /3/1764
John or Robert? & Mary Kersey (nee Bennett) - d Lydia baptised Framlingham 25/6/1748
John Newson & Lydia Kersey - married Charsfield 19/4/1781
Edward Bayley Cullum & Lydia Kersey - married Iken 11/10/1832

Are you aware that the biggest clusters of the Kersey families were living in the Debenham, Mendlesham & Wickham Skeith areas of Suffolk? A smaller lot in Great Glemham, Saxtead, Framlingham, Lowestoft & Lakenheath.

Offline jkgla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Framlingham, KERSEY Families
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi!

One letter can lead to confusion..
Any information welcome.

'My'Lydia Kersey came from FALKENHAM, Suffolk (between Woodbridge & Felixstowe)

These notes are all I know about her - but may be sufficient to link her in with other local Kerseys (who seem to be profligate!)

Marriage
13 Oct 1777, William Able m Lydia Kersey of FALKENHAM, Suffolk at Bromswell, Suffolk
(Source: Suffolk FHS)

Their daughter, Lydia Abel, was born at Hollesley, Suffolk c 1785 (1851 Census)

Possibly Lydia Kersey, dau Robert & Mary Kersey, b 19 June 1748, bapt 25th June 1748 (but maybe a bit old to be marrying in 1777)

Several Kerseys at Bromswell (see FindMyPast Suffolk baptisms), inc James Able, son John & Elzabeth Able, bapt 15 Feb 1756, who could be Lydia's brother-in-law

Name       Joseph Kersey
Accession No   
Date written   9 Aug 1813
Date proved   10 May 1815
Value      
Occupation   Gentleman
Abode      Dallinghoe (Dallinghoo), Suffolk
Places      
Details      Cousin, Caleb Kersey of Hadleigh, Suffolk, farmer
      Minister/churchwardens of Marlesford (Suffolk), ditto Earl Soham (Suffolk)
      Servant, Ann Rose
      Cousin, Richard Kersey of Debenham, Suffolk
Late wife, Lydia
Cousins, Peter Kersey the elder, Rebecca Veasay, Joshua Kersey, Henry Kersey, Frances Kersey, the said Caleb Kersey and unto George Kersey, Elizabeth Kersey, Richard Kersey and Ann Kersey sons and daughters of my late brother-in-law George Kersey deceased and also unto Peter Steptoe John Steptoe, Mary Daines, Lydia Abel, Elizabeth Marriot, Mary Pizzey, Robert Brown, Benjamin Brown, Rose Wells and Jonathan Capon or to such of them who shall be living at the time of my decease equally to be divided among them share and share alike
Executors   Caleb Kersey, Peter Steptoe and second cousin Jonathan Daines
Witnesses   William Shuldham, Mary Shuldham, Joseph Cook