Author Topic: Thornton family Preston Lancs  (Read 12285 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thornton family Preston Lancs
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 January 11 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to include this earlier:

1851 census

Renishaw, Derbyshire

Spinkhill College

Thomas Thornton  scholar 14  Scholar  born Preston, Lancs

I hadn't heard of Spinkhill College before so apologies if you know this already; this was a Roman Catholic school, which is now Mount St Mary's College.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 January 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Galium, Mo thanks again for your help but i'm confussed about Hannah Sutcliffe(Booth)??
i have found a record that James married a Hannah Sutcliffe on the 9th May 1839 in Colne
James Father was a Henry Thornton which seems to tie in with the vague information i have been given in which my James dad was called Henry?
i will find it hard to go to the RO and have spoken to them with regards information they say if i cannot attend in person then i will need to pay somebody to go and find the information which i need

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 January 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I think Galium has found the right marriage at Haslingden.  Haslingden records are not the best to read, so it may just have been mistranscribed.

This is the details of the Colne marriage, which as you can see is certainly not the correct couple. 

Marriage: 9 May 1839 St Bartholomew, Colne, Lancashire, England
James Thornton - (X), minor Weaver Bachelor of Waterside
Hannah Sutcliffe - (X), full age Spinster of Waterside
Groom's Father: Henry Thornton, Weaver
Bride's Father: William Sutcliffe, Weaver
Witness: James Hartley, (X); James Ellis
Married by Banns by: B C Sangar
Register: Marriages 1837 - 1841, Page 123, Entry 245
Source: LDS Film 1471065

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 January 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
The Lancashire BMD site shows mother's maiden names for some of the entries on the birth index.

Mother's maiden name for these two Thornton children is Booth:

Mary Ann b 1838
James b   1840

There are no Thornton births in Preston showing with mother's maiden name Sutcliffe.

I'm sorry you didn't have any luck with Preston RO.  You could try posting a specific request for a look up for the baptism of Thomas Nathaniel Thornton on here, and maybe someone who is going to the RO will be able to help.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 January 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
The Marriages section of The Preston Chronicle of Saturday July 19 1834 has this report:

On the 8th inst, at Sunnyside by the Rev. Mr Hodson, and afterwards at the Parish Church, Haslingden by the Rev.  W Gray A.M.. Mr James Thornton of this town to Hannah, youngest daughter of the late Nathaniel  Booth Esq., Constable, near Haslingden

From The Preston Guardian of Saturday May 21 1859

Deaths

On Monday last, at the residence of her son, Mr James Thornton, spirit merchant, Mrs Ellen Thornton, in her 88th year

From The Preston Guardian Saturday September 10 1859

Marriages

On Thursday last, at the Catholic Church of St Walburge, by the Rev. Thomas Williams, S. J., Thomas N., eldest son of Mr James Thornton, wine merchant to Margaret, third daughter of Mr. John Walker, builder. All of this town

You will notice that James Thornton and Hannah Booth were married at Sunnyside as well as at Haslingden Parish Church.  This web page:

http://stjamestheless.org.uk/v6History.htm

explains how Roman Catholics came to be using a room at Sunnyside Works as a place of worship.  The Booth family also get a mention.

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 January 11 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I cant thankyou enough for taking time out to help me thankyou
Keith

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Morning,
I have located graves in preston old cemetery for Ellen it appears that she is buried with a Henry Joseph Thornton aged 5 months?, also the grave of Thomas snr with what appears to be 6 other family members.
a quick one i have been looking on ancestry for the marriage record for James and Hannah but it doesnt find any matches? i have also been trying to find the D.O.B place of birth of Hannah Booth but likewise no matches are found i'm i doing something wrong?
Thanks Keith

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Glad you were able to find the graves.

Ancestry's parish records collections are patchy, and don't cover all places at all times, especially not in Lancashire.  As James and Hannah's marriage was before 1837 and the start of the civil registration indexes, it isn't surprising that you haven't found it there.

The same applies to finding a birth record for Hannah, with the added complication that she would have been baptised as a Roman Catholic, and fewer RC records are available to view online than CofE.
 The reason that James and Hannah married in the CofE church although they had an RC ceremony at Sunnyside was that at this time only the CofE marriage was legally valid.  This is why it is often the case that you can find a marriage record online for Roman Catholics, but no baptisms.

Going by the web page about Roman Catholic worship at Sunnyside, it looks as though Hannah might have been baptised at Townley Hall, as the nearest RC place of worship at the time she was born. 

Preston Records Office have baptism records for Townley Hall Chapel from 1820 (a bit late, though) and Burnley Library has some much earlier baptsim records - but I don't know  about the records for c1813. 

However Burnley Library also has records of the 1820 congregation with names, ages and addresses, which might be helpful.

A possible marriage of James Thornton's parents is on the IGI:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bq/

Thomas Thornton and Ellen Rainford at St John, Preston 18 November 1794

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Galium thanks again as you can see i'm pretty new to this haha ;D, quick question regarding James marraige to Hannah it states that the parents were there however i think Ellen was widowed before the marrage but it has the name Robert Thornton could this maybe be an uncle?