Author Topic: Thornton family Preston Lancs  (Read 12281 times)

Offline Jessdrake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thornton family Preston Lancs
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am in need of help trying to trace my Thornton descendents i have little but some information
they were strong Catholics attended stoneyhurst college and the mount which is now st Marys. they were some kind of wine merchants having

something to do with Thornton & France ltd( the only thing i find with this is the sale to Matthew Brown Brewries....who is also my ggg grandfather
sorry of track little i know
James Thornton b1812? married Helen Sutcliffe
Thomas N Thornton b1836 married Margaret Walker
is Thomas N J Thornton b1870 married Helen Brown
looking for any help information regarding James parents sibling etc and if anyone has any information about Thornton & France wine and spirit merchants
many thanks Keith

This is a message for Keith 77. It was posted yrs ago so don't know if you still log in. I'm new to this so don't know if I'm doing this right. I have the death certificate of Helen Thornton who was married to Thomas Nathaniel thornton (wine merchant) . I am the great grandaughter of agnes thornton who was married to Robert smith who is a direct decendant of the Haydocks. I have an extensive family tree. Robert Smith's mother was Anne Brown. If anyone can help me contact Keith please do.

Offline Jessdrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Making contact with Keith 77

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Jess and welcome to RootsChat. I just checked Keith's profile and it appears that he visited RootsChat today so hopefully he'll have seen your post.
Make another post and then you can send him a private message. If you post a reply to this from me that should be enough.
I also have Catholic ancestors who lived in Preston in 19th century. Some of them were innkeepers and probably knew the Thornton wine merchants. Mine lived at Avenham Rd. and Chaddock St. near Winckley Square. Some of them were buried in St. Wilfred's graveyard until it was closed in 1854.

Cowban

Offline Jessdrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone
I've made private contact with Keith thank you.
I live in London but my mother was from Preston.  Her maiden name was Lewis but our family tree is on her mother's side- the Smiths. We have a family tree going back to the Haydocks  (1422)  so probably have alot of relatives buried up there!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am in need of help trying to trace my Thornton descendents i have little but some information
they were strong Catholics attended stoneyhurst college and the mount which is now st Marys. they were some kind of wine merchants having something to do with Thornton & France ltd( the only thing i find with this is the sale to Matthew Brown Brewries....who is also my ggg grandfather
sorry of track little i know
James Thornton b1812? married Helen Sutcliffe
Thomas N Thornton b1836 married Margaret Walker
is Thomas N J Thornton b1870 married Helen Brown
looking for any help information regarding James parents sibling etc and if anyone has any information about Thornton & France wine and spirit merchants
many thanks Keith
[quote author=Maiden Stone link=topic=510564.msg6427677#msg6427677 date=1518003218
I also have Catholic ancestors who lived in Preston in 19th century. Some of them were innkeepers and probably knew the Thornton wine merchants. Mine lived at Avenham Rd. and Chaddock St. near Winckley Square. Some of them were buried in St. Wilfred's graveyard until it was closed in 1854.
[/quote]

After he gave up his inn one of my ancestors became bookkeeper at Brown's  brewery in Preston and remained in his employ for 23 years, 1831-1854. The 1850 death notice for his wife in the Preston Chronicle reads "...at Mr M. Brown's Brewery..." as if she died on the premises. I may have mis- read it.
Latest edition of Winckley Square newsletter is out.
Cowban

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 04 June 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
There is a Nathan(iel) Booth married Ann Heath 1766 at Preston, 2 children baptised non-conformist Marey 1767 and William 1769 - maybe other children??
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon
Place study Bury, Lancashire, England
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254654168295296/

Offline Samantha Dawson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 09 April 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi just noticed your post Matthew Brown was also my ggg grandfather and speaking to my mother she thinks you are related to her father's (Thomas Nathanial George, known as George  as he had the same name as his father.) brother, Joeseph who moved to South Africa. So we will be related.