Author Topic: Anyone live near Portumna, Co. Galway?  (Read 12004 times)

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Anyone live near Portumna, Co. Galway?
« on: Sunday 30 January 11 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I have traced ancestors to Portumna in 1901 and 1911. From the various Census return forms I can see that the house they lived in was the next building to Portumna Castle, with a Church as the other neighbour. Google maps don't zoom in close enough to see the house, and the street view is of no help. I would love a photo of this house if it still exists - it had 5 windows at the front according to the Census Return.  I live in the English West Midlands, and don't have the means to travel, so if any kind person can oblige I would be extremely grateful. The ancestor was Joseph Gordon, a Caretaker (? of woods), and his wife was Elizabeth, believed formerly Thompson. He was most likely buried in Portumna, he gave his religion in 1901 as Methodist, and in 1911 as Church of Ireland.
I would be happy to assist anyone with a similar request for help with Worcestershire ancestors.
giraffe         
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
GARFIELD, Edgbaston and Wolverhampton
JOHNSON, Wolverhampton and Bilston
ATKINS, Wolverhamptonand Bilston

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gordon family, Portumna
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 January 11 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Should have said Portumna, Lickmolassy.
giraffe
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.

Offline Yeoman1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone live near Portumna, Co. Galway?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
Giraffe

The Gordons lived in a house at Bonaveen in Portumna Demense when the 1901 and 1911 censueses were carried out. It had five windows on the top. This house still stands although inhabitable. They later moved to live beside the castle in Portumna. That house no longer exists. Joseph Gordon later lived in the town, he and his wife Elizabeth are buried in the Church of Ireland graveyard in Portumna. Elizabeths mother who died in 1900 aged 50 is also buried there. Joseph and Elizabeth had 7 children; 6 sons and 1 daughter. All are now deceased but several are buried in the graveyard in Portumna.
Yeoman1

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 12 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Yeoman, Thank you so much for that information. I am trying to research this side of my extended family, but with limited resources. Is there a way I could send for the relevant birth, marriage and death certificates of the various family members?
Or would it be possible for you to pass on the details of the various inscriptions of the family's graves please?
Also, would you know the maiden surname of Joseph's mother Elizabeth, and that of his wife?
I would be happy to reimburse any costs incurred if you could feel able to take any relevant photos for me?
giraffe   

Offline Yeoman1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 April 12 12:52 BST (UK) »

Giraffe

I will see if anyone who remembers the Gordons knows the maiden names. How are you related to Joseph and Elizabeth?

Yeoman1

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 April 12 13:38 BST (UK) »
I am related by marriage only, to one of their grandchildren. I have one or two family photos, but none of where they lived. I would like to 'flesh out' my tree if possible,for the benefit of my grandchildren.
giraffe

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 April 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
When you have made three posts we could converse via the personal message system if you prefer.
giraffe

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 June 12 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Yeoman,
Just wondering if you have had a chance to garner any further information on the Gordon family in Portumna? I would be very grateful if you can help me out please. I have no chance of visiting the area myself as I live in England and do not have the financial means to travel that far.
Hoping you can help me, 
giraffe

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 June 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
dont know what certs etc you have at this stage - but to start the search off here are the census returns for your Gordons :

1901 - Gordon Household, Portumna Demesne townland

1911 - Gordon Household, Portumna Demesne townland

Joseph born Co. Cavan, Elizabeth born Co Leitrim, married about 14 years in 1911 (c1897), and all the children born Co. Galway. So a marriage in Galway or Leitrim would be my guess...

This one jumps out as the best possibility from the BMD Index, since it's in the district the family are living in 1901 and 1911 :

Name: Joseph Gordon
  Registration district:   Portumna
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Apr-Jun 1896
  Volume: 4 / Page :   183

One point to bear in mind is that the numbers that appear on the census transcripts and building returns, are site numbers designated by the enumerator based on the order he visited the various houses in the townland. They dont correspond to any postal address, and adjacent numbers dont necessarily mean the that properties are adjacent.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests