Author Topic: Dunning St and Queen St Sunderland  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Stalbridge

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunning St and Queen St Sunderland
« on: Monday 31 January 11 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a building or joinery business in either of these two streets circa 1895? It may have belonged to a family called Chrishop. Present day maps show the area as cleared ground. Does anyone know when this clearing may have taken place?
Healey Smith Hales Oliver McKie Chrishop Clinton Carr O'Hare Jacques

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunning St and Queen St Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 11 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Dunning Street and Queen Street were partially cleared for the construction of the inner ring road, St. Mary's Way in 1969. The rest of the area would have been cleared when Vaux Brewery was demolished in 2003

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 11 16:56 GMT (UK) »
The builder Thomas Holmes Chrishop was at 30 Dunning Street in 1890.

Stan

Offline Stalbridge

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 January 11 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Stan

I am at a loss to know how you discovered this. This man was either my great great grandfather or his son. How can I find out more? Thank you for the information so far.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 11 21:21 GMT (UK) »
He is listed in the Kelly's 1890 Durham Directory, http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/ but not listed at that address in the 1894 Directory.

Stan

Offline chrishop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
I have lost contact with Stalbridge.  Yes, Thomas Holmes Chrishop was my GG Grandfather.  I have a copy of his newspaper advertisement for Thomas H. Chrishop, Joiner, Builder &c.  10 Queen St. and 30 Dunning St. Sunderland.
Residence, 28 Westbury St. FUNERALS completely furnished. etc.
We are still trying to connect Victoria Adelaide Chrishop Stockins to the Chrishop family of Sunderland.  This all started with the Querie for Edmundo the priest.  He is the son of Victoria.
I recently discovered Roots Chat. Wish I had found it sooner.     Verlaine

Offline Reginald Stockins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 August 18 04:51 BST (UK) »
Hello!
My name is Reginald Stockins and I live in Santiago, Chile, I am Victoria Adelaide Chrishop's great grand son and Walter R.V.J. Stockins (Father Edmundo Stockins) grand nephew. Actually, he celebrated my parents wedding in 1948, baptized me in 1950 and celebrated my wedding in 1976.
I have Victoria's British passport and quite a number of photos among other stuff received form uncle Wally after he passed away in 1995.
According to her passport, Victoria was born in Sunderland, May 24 1864, and her parents were Thomas H. Chrishop and Catherine S. Carr. In 1892 she landed in Valparaiso on her way to California USA but never continued her trip. In 1893 she married Walter B Stockins, a school teacher and headmaster who had arrived from London in 1890.
Walter B passed away in 1944 and Victoria in 1950 after living for many years in Peņa Blanca, Limache and Viņa del Mar, all neighbouring towns to Valparaiso, during which they had 7 children: Alice, Benjamin (my grandfather), Isabella, Dorothy and Walter (Father Edmundo), besides Constance and Arthur who died at very short ages.   

Offline Stalbridge

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 August 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Reginald

I was so pleased to read your RootsChat message this morning. I have previously been in contact with your nephew (?) Patrick about Victoria Adelaide. Forgive me if you already know about this but your possession of Victoria's Passport is something new. I am related to the Chrishop family via my maternal grandmother, Catherine McKie, who was the daughter of Isabella Chrishop. I believe, but have not been able to prove, that "Victoria" and Isabella were sisters. Fr Edmundo Stockins (Wally) was well known to the family and visited my grandmother in Sunderland on more than one occasion. It has never been possible to trace Victoria but the facts do seem to point to her being one and the same with a Catherine A Chrishop. Please forgive me for not writing more now as I have to go out but if I may, I would like to communicate with you further and wonder if you would be prepared to share further information. My family tree is on Ancestry.com . It is called Oliver McKie Chrishop . Do you have an Ancestry tree? Would you like an invitation to see mine?
Thank you , thank you, thank you for posting a reply on RootsChat  -  Eileen O'Hare

Offline Reginald Stockins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 August 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Eileen,
Thank you so much for your immediate answer!
Patrick is my cousin Benjamin's youngest son and I will be seeing him next Saturday Aug 18 together with his father and some other 20 descendants of Walter B Stockins and Victoria A Chrishop at a Stockins lunch gathering to be held in Santiago. The number of attendants may seem small but this time is has been limited no further than great great grand "children" and only to direct descendants of Victoria and Walter's 2nd son Benjamin James Stockins Chrishop (my granfather). There is a another number of descendants through 4 sons of Victoria and Walter's daughter Isabella and her husband Eustace Woolvett.
By the way, it helps a lot for genealogical research that in Chile our legal names for any official purposes include our mothers' family names and that women keep their names and don't take their husband's. It has been so since the Chilean State enforced the separation of records from the Chilean Catholic Church back in the 1880s
Therefore, Victoria's legal and official name in Chile was always Victoria Adelaide Chrishop Carr. It shows as so in her marriage and death certificates issued by the Chilean Civil Records Service.
Up to our knowledge Victoria went twice back to the UK on vacation or visiting. Once with her husband Walter B. and another on her own, during which she probably went back to Sunderland.
Also up to our knowledge, her younger son Walter R.V.J., (Father Edmundo Stockins SS.CC.) visited Chrishop relatives both in Sunderland and California (USA) several times.
I seem to remember some comment in a chat by somebody asking about catholics changing theri names. It is a custom in some religious congregations that priests take a new name when they are ordained. In Walter R.V.J. Stockins Chrishop's case he chose Edmundo in memory of St. Edmund the Martyr, king of East Anglia.
Unfortunately I donīt have a family tree in ancestry.com but I do have one in MyHeritage.com so as Patrick, both lacking more information on the Chrishops.
By the way, has Patrick ever told you that he has an aunt, also cousin of mine, by the name of Eileen and that Victoria had a daughter by the name of Dorothy Catherine.
Dear Eileen this will have to be all for the time being as I am still active and must attend some urgent business but I sincerely look forward to hearing from you again and maybe sometime meeting you personally as our daughter June, together with husband Juan and children Simon, Juliet
Best regards,
R. Stockins
reginald.stockins@gmail.com