Author Topic: Death of Frances Lee 1838. Help please  (Read 11412 times)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Death of Frances Lee 1838. Help please
« on: Monday 31 January 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
In 1838 there is a death registered of a Frances Lee.   Oct-Dec qtr.   XV 435.  District - Uppingham

Does anyone have access to parish records which might help identify if this Frances Lee is my x3 gt grandmother?

My 2 x gt grandmother was Jane Lee who married in 1857, Stamford St John.   

I have Jane's father as Samuel - born 1812, and mother possibly Frances, but as she  can't be found on 1841 census I am thinking that she is the Frances who died in 1838.   
In 1841 the children, Jane and brother William b1837, were living in All Saints Street with John and Mary Peasgood.
In 1851 Samuel and son William were in Scotsgate Protection Yard (love to know what that was), again with the Peasgoods, and this time Samuel is brother-in-law.   

So any help with death of Frances; marriage of her to Samuel Lee c 1835-6; or births/baptisms of children would be very much appreciated.

As to the Peasgood connection - well, I shall fling my net far and wide  :)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Frances Lee 1838. Help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 11 14:44 GMT (UK) »
You will probably be best purchasing the death cert.
Burial records (if anyone was to find them, and it will be hard for anyone to look without knowing the parish, though) are unlikely to give any more info other than name and age. You may be lucky and find they say 'widow of ...' but not necessarily.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 11:44 GMT (UK) »
From my microfiche of Uppingham parish registers we have

DE 1784/10
Burial of Frances Lee aged 23 abode Uppingham on 18 October 1838.  Record # 799

DE 1784/12
Marriage of Samuel Lee to Frances Mould both OTP by banns 28 September 1835 by JG Dimock, Rector. Witnesses William Peake and Mary Ann Clapham.  Record # 268

Crowboy
Langley (Rutland, Lancashire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire, South Australia); Mallett, Mallet, Cowling, (Cornwall, South Australia, Victoria, Qld); Turner, Onyon (Lincolnshire); Harden, Hearden (Essex); Bradley (Lancashire); Palmer (Devonshire)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Again from my microfiche of Uppingham parish registers we have

DE 1784/9 Baptism of William Lee son of Samuel (a labourer) and Frances Lee of Uppingham on  22 January 1837.  Record # 989

Cannot locate a baptism for Jane at this point but will have another scan.

Crowboy
Langley (Rutland, Lancashire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire, South Australia); Mallett, Mallet, Cowling, (Cornwall, South Australia, Victoria, Qld); Turner, Onyon (Lincolnshire); Harden, Hearden (Essex); Bradley (Lancashire); Palmer (Devonshire)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
And again from my microfiche of Uppingham parish registers we have:

DE 1784/9
Baptism of Frances daughter of William (a slater) and Elizabeth Mould of Uppingham on 28 February 1815.  Record # 73

Baptism of Robert son of William (a tallow chandler) and Ann Pesgood (as recorded) of Uppingham on 19 March 1819.  Record # 243

Crowboy

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Crowboy, that's wonderful.

Of course it's impossible to be 100% sure of anything so far back, but I now want to believe that Frances Mould was my gt gt gt grandmother.

My gt gt grandmother Jane Lee married 13 Jan 1857 (St John Stamford) and the cert says she is of full age.   Is it possible that you have a baptism for her on your microfiche?    I have always believed her to have been born in 1836.   Her brother William about 1837.
Although 1841 census has them in All Saints, Parish of Stamford, they were both born in Uppingham.

Does the OTP on marriage ref mean 'of this parish'?   From censuses I have the info that Samuel was born in Tickencote.

Is it possible to get images from microfiche or does one have to buy the film? and where from?

And another question - sorry  :-[       Does Lincolnshire have it's own records available on-line?    Here in Lancashire we have LancashireBMD which is being updated all the time, thanks to volunteers.

Thanks again for help so far.

Susan

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crowboy

I delayed so long sending my reply to your 1st message that I now find more info from you.

Not read it yet but will do so this moment  :)

Added: Read your posts now Crowboy, brilliant info.  Hope you manage to find Jane - after al she is my direct ancestor.

The Peasgoods that the children were with in 1841, were John b c1800 and Mary c 1804, so maybe those you mention were perhaps relatives. John from Stamford and Mary from Preston, Rutland.     (I'm about 10 miles from Preston, Lancs  ;) )

Susan

Offline clare sharp 14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
hi i have loads of info on lees from stamford/uppingham as they were my ancestors. if you want to pm me we could compare

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 February 11 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Sorry to advise no record of baptism of Jane Lee (or Jane Mould just in case)  in my Uppingham fiche.  Have checked from 1813 to 1852 where my records stop.  Also checked the Congregational Church (Non conformist) transcripts to December 1836.

OTP does mean "of this parish" or "of the parish"

Concerning the marriage register entry for Samuel Lee and Frances Mould I will investigate deriving a pdf or jpg file from my fiche using the equipment at the State Library.

My microfiche is confined to Uppingham parish only and am I am not au fait with the availablity of Lincolnshire records.

If you wish me to pursue any lookups for Moulds in Uppingham please let me know.

Did you happen to gain any information re Jane Lee from Clare?

Regards

Crowboy