Author Topic: Edward Jones _ Architect  (Read 52491 times)

Offline schmick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jones _ Architect
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I should have quoted the page he was on!
I agree that the Y in the 1841 census is conflicting although I have seen this wrong in the census before
His son William Ellis Jones' death certificate in NSW says his (William's) place of birth is "Wrexham Montgomeryshire"
Ellis does not appear in the 1851 census as far as I can tell. There is another Ellis Jones in Denbighshire who is a farmer with a different family.
Unfortunately I have no more information at present. I'll keep looking of course!
Still may be a connection.

Thanks for your response
Nick Halljavascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.postmodify.message);

I managed to find him after searching though 10 pages. ::)

Reply #80 on: Saturday 12 March 11 11:48 GMT (UK) »   

Anne Jones : will, widow Pentrefelin 
Dated 21 feb 1815 . proved 1826
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/473662

She names =  Youngest son Edward Jones, second son Ellis Jones, eldest son John Jones. Daughter  Elizabeth Fox wife of  John Nesbitt  Fox.

Chester St Presbyterian Church. Bapt
John JONES born -/03/1787 bapt 06/05/1787 son of John Jones and Ann,  ELDEST
Ellis John( Jones ) s/o  John Jones / Ann
Born 1 Nov  1791 bapt 20 Dec 1791 SECOND
Edward JONES -  baptised 18/02/1797 son of John Jones and Ann  YOUNGEST

Now - if yours in Llanfechan in 1841 with  Susannah, he is   Y , born in County. Montgomeryshire, ours was born  Denbighshire.

I can`t find any other Ellis, perhaps you can give us more details.
Hall, Jones, Edwards, Beynon, Coote, Vernezobre, Lukies/Lucas, Coghlan

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Saturday 10 January 15 04:04 GMT (UK) »
I have just found these posts.  If anyone is still interested, James Edwards, the younger brother of Sophia who married Edward Jones was my 2xggrandfather and I have done a great deal of research on the Edwards family.  James came to South Australia and I am part of the Edwards family born there.
William, father of the seven children listed above, was a merchant taylor in Church St, Deptford.  He died 1815 and was buried at St Paul (NBI & FamilySearch)  I have his Will and a huge amount of evidence but it took me some years to get there.  The witnesses at Sophia's marriage are named Wallen and they are cousins.  William's wife was Elizabeth Adams and her sister was Maria.  She was the first wife of John Wallen, well known architect and said to be a mentor/teacher of Edward Jones.  That is a fraction of the story.  If I have replies, I'll post more over time.

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
  • If I'm not on line, I'm probably renovating .
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Sunday 11 January 15 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I have just found these posts.  If anyone is still interested,   If I have replies, I'll post more over time.
Hi emmalydia, you certainly got my attention.  :)
 Edward Jones and Sophia being my 3xgg.parents.
I had not realised that Elizabeth and Maria were sisters. I have a small amount on John Wallen published here-   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wallen.
It would seem Edward Jones was probably instrumental in Wallen's second marriage to Harriett Edwards.
William Beatson, architect is also mentioned. He moved to NZ but there are also related Beatsons in Tasmania.
Im not sure if the profession of Taylor is just a coincidence but Edward's family in Wrexham seem to have many links to the trade in London, being themselves linen merchants.
Cheers Gary

Edward George JONES Wrexham Wales/Staines Middlesex
Edward Llewellyn JONES Staines/ Wellington NZ
Thomas & Harriett BOSHER aka BOWSHER Surrey/NZ
Joseph DALY /Mullingar, Westmeath,Ire./Wellington NZ
Parker of Welburn, Yorkshire

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Sunday 11 January 15 12:41 GMT (UK) »
The Examiner London. 15 May 1852
Death
On the 11th inst  Harriet the wife of Mr John Wallen of Spital Square in her 45th year.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Sunday 11 January 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these two interesting replies.  I didn't have the death notice from the Examiner.  Gary, it's nice to hear from a third cousin once removed (or thereabouts).  The connection between the architects has been very interesting to follow.  Of course, Edward and Sophia were two of the witnesses when Harriot married John Wallen and Harriot was a witness at the marriage of Maria Wallen to William Beatson a month previously.  As Maria and Harriot were cousins through their mothers and probably friends as they were around the same age, I wonder how Maria felt when her cousin married her father and became her stepmother.  I have looked at John Wallen's work and particularly like St Mark's Hospital in City Road, Middlesex.  If you look on Old Bailey Online you will find an interesting description of the Wallen house following a robbery in 1856.  Do you know of any connections in these families with commerce in America?  We have two references in the Edwards family to dealings there and I would love to follow this up.
Regards EL

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these two interesting replies.   Do you know of any connections in these families with commerce in America?  Regards EL
Hi, This is a bit off topic but cant get PM to work. I dont know of any relatives that migrated to America.
We seem to like Australia and NZ.
Thanks for the Old Bailey link, interesting.
Thomas Strode is a 'character'  ::)  http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/strode-thomas-14313 .
He was uncle to Edward Jones' sons wife. So a mere link to the Edwards family, but an interesting character in early Ozzie.
I assume that you know that Sophia Edwards remarried to Henry Jackson the taxman.
Edward and Sophia Jones lived in Wrexham. Their children were born their. They are mentioned in AN Palmer (1888) The History of the Older Nonconformity of Wrexham (pdf available online).
The family was well connected and quite wealthy.  Jones Square/ Linen Hall built by father John Jones, existed into the 1830s. Now its covered by a boring 1960s brick building.  As said, clothing and fabric seem to be a trade common to the Jones/Edwards/ Evans families.
Cheers G. J.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 15 January 15 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gary,

I have just seen this post which was resurrected recently by the look of it.

Did you ever find Thomas Strode born in Somerset c1770? I haven't gone through the 13 pages of posts and wonder if you can save me the effort!

Pleased to see you have made much progress.

Jo.

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 15 January 15 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo, been a while!!  :)
No Thomas senior remains as elusive as ever. A cousin in Oz has been battling away at it more than me. I still hold hopes of finding something in Somerset records re his Cordwainer indenture. My research venture last year in Europe/UK was a dismal failure.
Still have the same email or PM ... did you move to Shep. Mlt ?
Cheers Gary

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Friday 16 January 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gary,

It seems a lifetime ago from that cold and windy day in Hove!

I will send you a PM re situation at present. My E-Mail is the same.

Jo.