Author Topic: Edward Jones _ Architect  (Read 52311 times)

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jones _ Architect
« Reply #117 on: Monday 19 January 15 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Message for Gary

Hi Gary, do you have a copy of the Will of William Edwards - father of your Sophia and my James?  If not, it's now viewable on Ancestry under Prerog Court of Canterbury Wills dated 22 March 1815.  A most interesting read, they were a very well to do family and, as there were quite a few children and William was so young, I am assuming inherited money or successful commerce as well as Merchant 'Tayloring'!  Any comments?  Sadly James was only three years old when his father died.  If you have all this info, have you researched the siblings - I have but there are a few holes I'd like to fill.  Enjoying hearing from you and anyone else interested.
EL

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
  • If I'm not on line, I'm probably renovating .
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 30 January 15 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,
Im having trouble sending PMs. Seem to have lost outbox too, so apologise if you are being swamped by the same info. Will also post this under Edward J, appreciate if you could let me know what/if you receiving.

Chester Street records are on Ancestry.com.
England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970 >Piece 4131: Wrexham, Chester Street Chapel (Presbyterian), 1814-1837.
This should take you to Henry Ellis Jones, then scroll through the register, most are entries by Rev. William Browne.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=UKNonConformistVitals&h=1358710&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t23080560_p27564469457_kpidz0q3d27564469457z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid

Gary ;)

Edward George JONES Wrexham Wales/Staines Middlesex
Edward Llewellyn JONES Staines/ Wellington NZ
Thomas & Harriett BOSHER aka BOWSHER Surrey/NZ
Joseph DALY /Mullingar, Westmeath,Ire./Wellington NZ
Parker of Welburn, Yorkshire

Offline Diane Munro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 12 March 15 06:41 GMT (UK) »
I was very interested in your post. My husband's g.g.g.grandfather was John Wallen.
I knew that William Edwards wife was Elizabeth Adams but have not been able to prove the connection to Maria Adams John's 1st wife. Can you help

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 12 March 15 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diane
This is what I've based it on.  Maria Adams was a witness at the marriage of Elizabeth Adams and William Edwards.  John Wallen's second wife was Harriot Edwards daughter of Wm and Elizabeth.  When Sophia Edwards (Harriot's sister) married Edward Jones in 1823 Harriet Wallen was a witness and also M Wallen (either Aunt Maria or her cousin Maria).  Harriet Edwards was the witness at the marriage of Maria Wallen & William Beatson 1830 two months before her own marriage.  The Jones/Wallen/Edwards families are closely tied.  Is your husband descended from the first or second marriage? 
Emmalydia

Offline Diane Munro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 12 March 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi Emmalydia
Thanks for the information. The Wallens and the Edwards were very close.
Roy's great grandfather was Frederick Wallen the son of John Wallen and Harriet Edwards.
Frederick came to Tasmania and settled in Launceston. We are in Hobart.
I have seen letters from the Wallen sisters in London which makes references to Aunty Sophie ( Sophia Elizabeth Jones) and her kind husband Thomas William Pengelly.
The sisters were great friends with Frances Samuell (daughter of Elizabeth Edwards and Thomas Samuell)

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Thursday 12 March 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
...(Harriot's sister) married Edward Jones in 1823 Harriet Wallen was a witness and also M Wallen (either Aunt Maria or her cousin Maria).  ...
Emmalydia

I had assumed it was W[illiam] Wallen, but it is certainly an 'M'. Agree its one of the Marias. Thankyou.
Glad you guys have met, wonder how that happened  ::) ::) :)
Cheers G.

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 12 March 15 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replies Diane
Roy and I are about 4th cousins then.  I am thrilled to have found someone who knows something of my Edwards family.  Anything I know I have had to find out myself as James left us no information at all.  We have no letters, photos or memorabilia beyond our great grandfather, Friend Henry Edwards.  Is the Elizabeth Edwards you refer to James sister born 1810?  She was also a witness at the marriage of Harriet in 1830 and after that I lose her.  If so, I don't have the details of the marriage - could you let me know.  If not, which Elizabeth Edwards are we talking about?  I will now reply to your personal message.
EL

Offline Liz newns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching the Newns family, how strange then I'm contacting you. On the 1841 census a Martha Newns was a servant for the family. I am grasping at straws in the hope you may have some info, as it's at this point I am stuck. I can find no record of her anywhere and think she may be the unmarried mother of George Newns born possibly in Wrexham workhouse in 1841.
Thanks for any light you may shed.

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census was taken after Edward's death in 1835. Most of the recorded occupants were probably tenants. His wife, Sophia, named therein, married Henry Jackson in 1842. Sorry, no trace of Martha. Good Luck. GJ