Author Topic: Edward Jones _ Architect  (Read 52300 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jones _ Architect
« Reply #36 on: Monday 07 February 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Wilcoxon.

John Jones must have been some carpenter to have constructed this.

The only thing we seem to be missing now, other than finding them on census returns, is the marriage of Edward Jones to Sophia ?? Any ideas?

Jo

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 07 February 11 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Oops, I`ve just been checking my History of the Town of Wrexham and I have got my square`s mixed up. ::) ::)
I may as well put the description  for us all to see.
 `The property on which Queens Square was built belonged partly to the Hughes`s of Chester  and Rhosddu and partly to Thomas Dale of Oswestry, it was purchased from the former owners by Richard Kirk Esq. of Gwersyllt Hill. Mr Kirk appears to have built the square which was erected by 1804, It still belonged to Mr Kirk in 1828`
Queens Square in the illlustration was very close to John Jones square and probably looked very similer.

Edward and Sophia could have married in St Giles even though they were Non Com. At that time there was no Civil Registration, this link explains a lot I wasn`t sure of.
http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/tips_board/thread/1182253
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 07 February 11 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Whilst I can't find a marriage for Edward and Sophia Jones I have it seems found a very probable marriage for Sophia Elizabeth Jones born in 1829.it is to a Thomas William Pengelly at Bromsgrove Worcestershire in 1854.The GRO entry is Jul/Aug/Sep quarter,Volume 6c,Page 521.

1861-RG9/1593/23/3.

1871-RG10/2339/75/23.

The 1871 Census is very revealing as it shows a Sophia Jackson a Widow,given as born in Deptford Kent in c 1802 to be Sophia Elizabeth's mother.Though there is possible in 1891 I can't find this Sophia on any other Census.Sophia Jackson is described as an Annuitant.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 07 February 11 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Sophia Jackson, born Deptford, Kent and her daughter, Sophia Jones, seem to be in Madron, Cornwall in the 1851. The reference is HO107/1918 Folio 737 Page 19.

The head of the household is Henry Jackson but Sophia Jones is shown as born in Macclesfield, Cheshire.

I think this rules them out.

Jo

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 07 February 11 15:49 GMT (UK) »
It seems Sophia remarried to a Henry Jackson at Wrexham in 1842 in what is described on North Wales BMD as a Wrexham Civil Marriage.GRO details are Jul/Aug/Sep quarter of 1842,Volume 27,Page 365.

1851 shows a Sophia Jones born in c 1830 with the couple but birthplace details are out.HO107/1918/737/19.

I can't find Sophia Jackson in 1861.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 07 February 11 17:31 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,421749.0.html

I spotted that one of the wittnesses to Edwards will in 1835 was  Thomas Taylor Griffiths,  surgeon. More on TTG  in the link above.

http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/museum/footprints/wrexhamap.pdf
Jones Hall is marked on the map , at the top of Lampit St and Queen St.
It would have been opposite the General / Vegetable market , which has gone and been replaced by BHS and the rest of the new shops.
I can just about remember a sales/auction room up an entry by there .

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 07 February 11 19:37 GMT (UK) »
It seems Sophia remarried to a Henry Jackson at Wrexham in 1842 in what is described on North Wales BMD as a Wrexham Civil Marriage.GRO details are Jul/Aug/Sep quarter of 1842,Volume 27,Page 365.

There was a marriage between an Edward JONES of Islington and Sophia EDWARDS at Finsbury Park Islington on Mar 17, 1823 (banns were read at Lewisham).

A baptism of Sophia EDWARDS  Oct 28, 1801 at St Paul Deptford d/o William Edwards & Elizabeth Edwards.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 07 February 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »

1851 shows a Sophia Jones born in c 1830 with the couple but birthplace details are out.HO107/1918/737/19.

In 1841 there is a Henry Jackson living in Mills St,  Prestbury , Macclesfield, he is 36 and an `officer excise` not born in County. All other persons in the house have different surnames.
I`m not sure where we`re going with this, but really we don`t know where Sophia was from , and only that Sophia Elizabeth JONES born 14/08/1829 baptized 25/10/1831 was baptised in Wrexham over 2 years after her birth, she could have born anywhere.

1861 RG9; Piece: 2113; Folio: 18; Page: 28
Same Henry 54 b Tean Stafforshire  and Sophia 50  b Deptford Kent are living at Strand, Bromsgrove, he is still  with the Inland Revenue  :o :o :o, there is a neice Margaret Bloomfied  29 unm , b Spitalfields London. No children.

Interestingly in Edwards will 1835 he specifies that `Guardianship and tuition of children till they attain the age of 21 to my wife , if she shall depart this life before they reach 21 then  I give guardianship to  Edward Jackson and John James.`
Edward Jackson was of ` Spring Lodge ` at the time.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 07 February 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Bromsgrove was where Sophia Elizabeth Jones married Thomas William Pengelly in 1854.

Regards
William Russell Jones
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire