Author Topic: Edward Jones _ Architect  (Read 52268 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jones _ Architect
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 February 11 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to find Sophia in the census returns for Wales and England both 1841 and 1851. I cannot identify her for sure but she is not to be found in Wrexham under the name of Jones in either. I am aware that the 1841 is missing for parts of Wrexham.

This made me wonder if she remarried. There are possible marriages for her in Wrexham, two in 1839, one in 1840 and another Civil Marriage in 1842. North Wales BMD shows possible spouses as follows:

1839, Wrexham St Giles, Edward Kelly, or Thomas Williams.

1840, Wrexham St Giles, Thomas Hughes, or Maurice Roberts.

1842 Wrexham Civil Marriage: Henry Jackson or Richard Jones.

I have looked for her as the wife of these possibles and the most likely one I found was a Sophia Hughes in Penybryn, Wrexham Abbott, in the 1851.

The reference is: HO107/2503 Folio 593 Page 26.

The household is as follows:

Sophia Hughes Married, aged 51, Bonnet maker, born Wrexham.
Elizabeth Jones, Temp Lodger, married, aged 48, Dress maker, born Wrexham.
Elizabeth Jones, daughter, Unmarried, aged 21, Dress maker, born Wrexham.
Robert Jones, Unmarried, aged 15, Shoemaker, born Conwy. An infirmity is shown but I cannot decipher what it is.

In theory, the relationships should be to the head of the household. That would make the two Jones children Sophia's, rather than Elizabeth. I am not convinced about this however.

I don't know if anyone else can find an entry for someone who could possibly be Sophia.

One way to approach it might be to enquire of the local registry which of the marriages has Sophia as a widow, or to look these up in the parish registers for St Giles.

Jo.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 February 11 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,there is also a death of a Sophia Jones in the Wrexham District in 1839.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 February 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello William,

Yes, that could also explain why she cannot be found in the census returns.

I wonder what happened to the children as they would have been very young then.

I have had chance to look at the Will dated 1835. This is not very easy to read in the digitised format but nonetheless, it gives a good account of the family that existed. A pity that the children were not named though. It mentions friends of Edward Jones as John James, Solicitor, and Edward Jackson. It also refers to his children in terms of his and her, so there must have been boys and girls.

Edward Jones, Architect, must have been wealthy as he left lands and property, probate value £450. In 1835, this would have been a huge amount. He also set up a Trust under his Will. Something only a very wealthy person would be able to do then. It might have something to do with the fact that women were restricted as to what they could own.

I wonder if it would be possible to trace the solicitor and see if any of the papers of this firm have been deposited in a Record Office. These might yield much more information.

The Trust was set to run for 500 years and there should be some records for it somewhere.

It appears as though Edward Jones knew he was dying as the date of the Will was so close to his date of death. I imagine he was quite young when he died.

I think that this would be worth more research.

Jo.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 February 11 17:54 GMT (UK) »
In the History of the Town of Wrexham I found references to Edward Jones architect.
It gives detail about him that are in Palmers History of the Older Nonconformity of Wrexham.

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL19373470M/A_history_of_the_older_nonconformity_of_Wrexham_and_its_neibourhood
You can read online or download this.
 Details on Edward are on  page 90.
Edward Jones architect died at his home in Queen Street next to the Linen Hall April 1st 1833 ? aged 39. (same day wrong year) Buried in the Dissenters Graveyard.

He was the son of John Jones carpenter  , Linen Hall and a brother to John Jones of High St.
Mr John Jones carpenter died Jan 6 1796 aged 42, also buried Dissenters Graveyard.

Edwards will.
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/3229
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 February 11 20:20 GMT (UK) »
 From The History of the town of Wrexham.

Queen Street.

The whole of the houses numbered 8 to 10 were I believe  built by Mr John Jones carpenter on land belonging to him there towards the end of the last century.  This Mr Jones was the father of Mr John Jones draper ( No`s 36 and 37 High Street and of Mr Edward Jones architect.
Mr Jones himself died  6th January 1796 aged 42. Behind the houses just named he built a hall for the March fair which was approached from Queen Street by the arched passage which still exists between No`s 9 and 10.
It was open in the middle with a covered gallery around three of its sides having shops in the gallery and and on the ground floor between them.
On Mr Jones tombstone in the Dissenters graveyard this square is called ` The New Linen hall` In 1818 in the rates books it is called `The Irish hall` and in 1827 ` Manchester square` but it was more commonly called Jones` square. It was still in existence in 1841 and doubtless much later. Linen and fancy goods were the chief commodities sold in it .

There is a MIs book for the Dissenters Burial Ground  in Wrexham Museum.

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
  • If I'm not on line, I'm probably renovating .
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 February 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow, It is 7am downunder, I woke to be totally absorbed by the evolving story,.... other bleary eye is speed reading 'history of older non-conformists' ...thanks Wilcoxon.

As Jo points out, Edward appears to have taken ill and died at a young age. His eldest , Edward,is too young to inherit.
Edward George Jones has always appeared to 'have means'.
At age 23 (1851), he was a Chemist Assistant.
By 1861 he was a Chemist in High Street Staines
He died in 1873. Probate close to £1000

Regards to all Gary.  :)
Edward George JONES Wrexham Wales/Staines Middlesex
Edward Llewellyn JONES Staines/ Wellington NZ
Thomas & Harriett BOSHER aka BOWSHER Surrey/NZ
Joseph DALY /Mullingar, Westmeath,Ire./Wellington NZ
Parker of Welburn, Yorkshire

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 February 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
When WXM museum opens again  I`ll take a look  at Dissenter s Mi`s and see what I can find. The burial ground is not too far away anyway,  I can have a stroll round with my camera.

In same book - history of Non com - search for Wilcoxon, they are mine.
Makes searching for ancestors quite difficult.  ::)

Are you linked to to the Jones.  ???

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
  • If I'm not on line, I'm probably renovating .
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 February 11 23:58 GMT (UK) »
When WXM museum opens again  I`ll take a look  at Dissenter s Mi`s and see what I can find. The burial ground is not too far away anyway,  I can have a stroll round with my camera.
In same book - history of Non com - search for Wilcoxon, they are mine.
Makes searching for ancestors quite difficult.  ::)
Are you linked to to the Jones.  ???
A very kind offer, Thanks.
Yes, I am indeed a Jones . Presuming that we have the correct 'Edward the Architect', I am a direct descendant, Paternal. His Great x 3 grandson.

PS. if you find the 500 year Trust, hmmm.. I can be very generous,......just Me, you and Jo. ;)
Regards Gary
Edward George JONES Wrexham Wales/Staines Middlesex
Edward Llewellyn JONES Staines/ Wellington NZ
Thomas & Harriett BOSHER aka BOWSHER Surrey/NZ
Joseph DALY /Mullingar, Westmeath,Ire./Wellington NZ
Parker of Welburn, Yorkshire

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 06 February 11 01:48 GMT (UK) »
from the Denbighshire Non-Conformist Registers
all at Wrexham - Chester Street Presbyterian

Burials
John JONES (no occ) buried 11/01/1796, age 42

Edward JONES architect died 01/04/1835 buried 08/04/1835

Baptisms
Edward JONES - no date of birth, baptised 18/02/1797 son of John Jones and Ann

Edward George JONES born 04/08/1828 baptized 26/01/1829 son of Edward Jones and Sophia
Sophia Elizabeth JONES born 14/08/1829 baptized 25/10/1831 dau of Edward Jones and Sophia
Hariette JONES born 17/11/1830 baptized 25/1/1831 dau of Edward Jones and Sophia
William JONES born 22/01/1832 baptized 24/01/1832 son of Edward Jones and Sophia
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk