Author Topic: SHERLOCK(s) in Fermoy, Co. Cork  (Read 9050 times)

Offline skarm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHERLOCK(s) in Fermoy, Co. Cork
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 16:00 BST (UK) »
Already this proves interesting. I thank you again:

From the Wikipedia Article on the 64th Regiment of foot:

"It was to be 1856 before the regiment found itself on active service again. In the interim there had been a short spell in England, a long posting in Gibraltar, several years in Ireland, another six year tour in the West Indies..."

From the post-Napoleon era. It states it was in Ireland, and traversed the Atlantic with possible stops at St. Helena (Jane was born there circa 1834). Interesting, interesting... :)
ARCHER - Marston-on-Dove, DBY - Snelston, DBY 1600s-1700s.
DAVIS - Minchinhampton, GLS - Fairford, GLS 1750s-1850s
ROBERTS - Ipswich, SFK 1700s.
BURRELL - Framlingham + Ipswich, SFK. 1700s.
BOYCE/BOYS - Humbleton, YKS. 1750s-1850s.

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
Can you advise where you got your information regarding the 81st Foot Regiment. My GGG Grandfather Robert Brown was in this regiment, he was court martialed in Roscommon Ireland (don't know what for) and sent to Australia, is there any way I can find out more about him and his marriage as he was probably moving around with the military.  His wife was a Frances Kelly, she and the 7 children sailed out of Cork Ireland on board the Sir Joseph Banks, landing in Australia in 1828, following her husband out who had arrived in 1826 on board the Sir Geoffrey Webster.  Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks, GEOLAW

Offline Loogie14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 March 14 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There are still Sherlocks in the Fermoy/Mitchelstown! Google Search shows One is a local councillor, he may not be connected but there's no harm in inquiring if thats any help to you!

Offline Loogie14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 March 14 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Sent that message without finishing! You are more than likely on the right track in assuming that Jane  was born in Saint Helena. A similar story in my family, have relatives that were born in Gibralter, Malta etc.. Their Father was also in the British army but a native of Fermoy. I will mail you with an idea of how you might be able to get more help.

Offline Tigers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 February 15 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I am also experiencing some difficulty researching a Robert Brown who died in 1951 in Paddington, NSW, Australia. The Robert Brown I am researching had a son Charles William Brown (Abt 1810 – 1856) and in the death notice in “The Colonial Times” 7th November, 1851 it states that Robert Brown was “a Sergeant in the 81st Regiment and father of Charles William Brown, Compositor). This sounds very close to yours and may be worth us discussing in further detail.

Regards,
Paul  :)