Author Topic: "unusual" marriage OPR  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
"unusual" marriage OPR
« on: Wednesday 02 February 11 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi when I say unusual I mean I haven't came across one written in this format before and I hope someone can explain if it is different and why to the type I usually see. It is a marriage of possible ancestors of mine and the person who sent it got it on SP. It is the St Nicholas parish of Aberdeen, and is as follows:
Aberdeen 31st Oct 1774
Also by warrant of Mr Ogilvie James Mackie Flaxdresser in Aberdeen and Chritien Walker residenter there. Cautioners for the bridegroom Thomas Scott Stabler in Aberdeen for the bride Alexander Mackie Flaxdresser there. Paid to the poor3/4

Other marriages on the page also mention that the couples were "privately contracted" or "contracted by warrant". Are these marriages different in any way?
I also said possible ancestors as no children from the marriage have been discovered as yet. We are hoping they may be the parents of Christian Mackie born c 1790-1800.

Thank you
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: "unusual" marriage OPR
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 13:00 GMT (UK) »
This might help

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/reflib-lexicon.php?letter=I&lang=%27.$lang.%27&input_form=

bottom of page  Irregular Marriages

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
Re: "unusual" marriage OPR
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda, many thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of the lexicon and I'll enjoy reading other topics mentioned too.

Regarding my particular query. I did suspect it would be an "irregular" marriage although I didn't know that term. I assumed that it was a "common law" marriage made "legal". From the topics I now know that the marriage would have been most likely legal previous to the marriage by warrant. But most of what is written is about mid to late 19th c marriages not much if anything I read was about the 18th c. Can anyone tell me if they know what form of marriage they may have had before the written one I quoted? I am presuming that Mr Ogilvie was a sherriff to be able to issue a warrant. Could of the marriage have been Episcopalian and being outside the established Church of Scotland it was thought best to have it registered?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thank you
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes