Author Topic: CURSHAM(s)  (Read 7216 times)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CURSHAM(s)
« on: Thursday 03 February 11 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

This time I am looking for Cursham(s), specifically, a George Cursham b. 1795 in Annesley/chr. 02 Jan. 1796/d. 23 Sept. 1871.  The freebmd shows that his death was registered St. George Hanover Square, London.  George Cursham was the son of Rev T. Cursham of Sutton-in-Ashfield - his mother was Ann Leeson.  He attended Repton School in 1808 and graduated M.D. from London and Paris, was elected F.R.C.P. in 1844, and became Physician to the Hospital for Consumption and the the Asylum for Female Orphans.

There is much about Dr. George Cursham on the internet but nothing about whom he married.  I am asking for help in finding his marriage.  The IGI shows one entry for a George Cursham to Ann Heathcote in 1817, however, I am reluctant to acccept this at face value.

I am also trying to connect this George Cursham as father of William G. Cursham who md. Harriett Nicholson.  Their marriage is registered in Liverpool in 1846.  The children of this couple were born in various towns in Nottinghamshire.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Dorothy
Ottawa
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CURSHAM(s)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 February 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think you may get a better result on the Yorkshire board for George's marriage as this is where it allegedly took place.  Someone may be able to find it if you give the IGI details. 

The only way to be certain of William's father is to buy his marriage certificate.

If you can supply names, dates and places of the childrens' births in Notts maybe someone on this board can assist with that. 

NC. 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 February 11 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered ?

1841 Census (HO107  735  5/39  25) - The original is not easy to read and has been transcribed as

George Curshaw, 45, Physician, NOT born in County
Ann Curshaw, 45, NOT born in County
+ 3 servants
Address - Saville Row, St James', Westminster, Middlesex

The Manchester Times and Gazette, April 19th, 1845
ADVERTISEMENT - National Mercantile Life Assurance Society
Directors

George Cursham, M.D, Saville Row

The 1841 George and Ann above a possibility for your George (and Ann?)

regards 

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 February 11 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Yes, I have considered the 1841 census - quite some time ago and hadn't looked at it recently.  I also have George on the 1871 census, again in Westminster.  He is still living in Westminster. this time in Victoria St. and he is a widower with two servants.  Nothing for him on either the 1851 or 1861 censuses, however.

Thank you so much for replying to my email.

Dorothy

Have you considered ?

1841 Census (HO107  735  5/39  25) - The original is not easy to read and has been transcribed as

George Curshaw, 45, Physician, NOT born in County
Ann Curshaw, 45, NOT born in County
+ 3 servants
Address - Saville Row, St James', Westminster, Middlesex

The Manchester Times and Gazette, April 19th, 1845
ADVERTISEMENT - National Mercantile Life Assurance Society
Directors

George Cursham, M.D, Saville Row

The 1841 George and Ann above a possibility for your George (and Ann?)

regards 
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 February 11 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi NC,

You are quite right.  I will give it a try in Yorkshire.

Thank you very much.

Dorothy

Hi

I think you may get a better result on the Yorkshire board for George's marriage as this is where it allegedly took place.  Someone may be able to find it if you give the IGI details. 

The only way to be certain of William's father is to buy his marriage certificate.

If you can supply names, dates and places of the childrens' births in Notts maybe someone on this board can assist with that. 

NC. 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 February 11 19:22 GMT (UK) »
The Times, Tuesday, April 19th, 1842
ADVERTISEMENT

In addition to the above distinguished patronage* to the newly invented Spectacle Lenses and Invisible Voice Conductor the undermentioned medical gentlemen among many others have given their unqualified approval

Jame Blundell M.D, 1 Gt George St,  ..........., George Cursham, M.D, 5 Saville Row,....etc, etc

The Messrs S and B Solomons' Invisible Voice Conductor, Sound Magnifiers, is not perceptible: it pours the conversation into the ears to such an extent that in severe cases deafness cannot be observed

(* the "above" is a list of Royalty and Nobility)

This is just a 12mth after the '41 Census.. There are entries for George before 1841 re The Mercantile Co in London but doesn't give his address.

Am trying to sort out the "various" Revs - Thomas Leeson Cursham, Mansfield; Thomas Cursham, Bakewell and Thomas Cursham, Sutton in Ashfield (are the last 2 the same individual?). Have found

The Derby Mercury, Wednesday, March 16th, 1831
Deaths
On the 7th instant at Morton, Near Southwell, Mr Charles Cursham, in the 45th year of his age, youngest brother of the late Rev Thomas Cursham of Sutton in Ashfield and Uncle to the Rev Dr Cursham, Vicar of Mansfield.

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 February 11 19:40 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 Census has George and Ann (transcribed as Aushuther!) at 5 Saville Row

see HO107 1485 361 19

regards

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 February 11 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Isn't that a weird one - Aushuther..!

Many thanks for that.

Regards,

Dorothy

The 1851 Census has George and Ann (transcribed as Aushuther!) at 5 Saville Row

see HO107 1485 361 19

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 February 11 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Re your final point about linking William (married Harriet in Liverpool) to George?

On the 1851 Census William is a Solicitor, age 27, born Nottingham.

1841 Census (HO107  871  2/5  5)

Transcribed as "Crusham" but probably Cursham. Includes a William (Junior?), age 17, no occupation - father William, age 50, Solicitor. All born outside County (Notts)

1851 Census (HO107  2128  570  4)

Transcribed as "Curshaw" but probably Cursham. Looks like the same family - but minus William Junior. This time they are all born Notts!!

May be worth checking out

regards